Fuji st or Sony

Elkhunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own 2 Nikon cameras a 3200 and 7100.
I am looking into purchasing a Fuji xt series or an a7 series to me it seems the color and sharpness Is better in these than my crop sensor cameras.
Am I wrong? as well I like super sharp photos for the most part.
Am interested in people's experiences with this.

Last edited:
I don't think you could go wrong with either way you go. Both cameras deliver 24mp images. The Sony is a FF sensor while the Fuji is the smaller APS-C sensor. A win-win situation.

The FF sensor will provide a thinner DOF at similar aperture openings and less noise at equal elevated ISO.

The APS-C sensor uses significantly smaller lenses for equal focal lengths and aperture. (A kit of similar lenses will be a lot lighter.)

Both Fuji lenses and Sony lenses native lenses are top notch. But, I think Fuji has a larger choice of lenses.

Fuji has all the basic adjustments, ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture (a ring the lens), and many other controls are all levers, dials and switches on the outside of the camera ... minimizes menu diving and easy to manipulate on the fly.

I own Fuji and I am very pleased with the results and the handling of the camera. I have used Sony, and it is a very fine camera, but I think the Fuji is slightly more robust.

Sharpness come from lens quality and sharpness is diminished by the low-pass/AA filter which is fitted to most dSLRs's directly in front of the sensor.

Both the A7 and the XT2 have superior lenses and no low-pass/AA filter in front of the sensor.

I am looking into purchasing do the a Fuji xt series or don't a7 series canada as to me it seems the color and sharpness I better in these than my crop sensor cameras.
Am I wrong as well I like super sharp photos for the most part.

Going by your reasons to look for a new camera I suggest you look at a Nikon D610 and Pentax K-1 as well. Same price range as your A7 choice. But going by DXO the D610 is slightly better than the A7 in ISO, Dynamic Range, Color, and Tonal Range.

Also in the same price range is the Pentax K-1. It is slightly better than the D610 in the above mentioned specs. And the K-1 does this with a 36mp sensor!!

There are better performers than these, but at much higher prices. It really seems hard to beat the Pentax K-1 in terms of specs vs. price.

I am looking into purchasing do the a Fuji xt series or don't a7 series canada as to me it seems the color and sharpness I better in these than my crop sensor cameras.
Am I wrong as well I like super sharp photos for the most part.

no, you're not wrong in wanting "super sharp" photos and the 'best' color
But buying three (3) different camera systems and three different assortment of lenses
that could be considered .... 'wrong'
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I agree with Gary. If your into manual type exterior controls, the fujifilm is very wise. I wanted a camera that mimicked a manual film camera and the Fujifilm XT-2 did just that. Now when I go out and shoot either film or digital, they are a similar procedure, that is important to me. Quality of image happened to be a bonus for me as I am not that skilled of a photographer.

I suggest you look at your lenses and techniques. There is no reason any camera you mentioned should be sharper than the ones you currently own. This could be a very expensive lesson if your technique needs improvement

I switched from Nikon 7100 to Fuji XT2 and am very happy with the move. I haven't changed my technique other than the gear being lighter and easier to hold steady! Definitely getting a lot more keepers and they are super sharp. Also love the Fuji colors, especially the Velvia film simulation for nature photos.

Of course I paid 3x as much for the Fuji so I expect the performance and extras to be better, and they are. The electronic view finder makes getting the exposure perfect in camera very easy and the focus peaking option really helps.

I hope you don't think a different camera will make better images for you. Practice will make better images for you.
No I don't think that at all .
Only like for two reasons as there is somthing to going down in size of equipment .
Also they seem to take a different type of picture wether it be brighter color or dynamic range if you will.

I hope you don't think a different camera will make better images for you. Practice will make better images for you.
Only like for two reasons as there is somthing to going down in size of equipment .
Also they seem to take a different type of picture wether it be brighter color or dynamic range if you will.

Well I don't share your opinion. Yours, however, will appeal more to the manufacturers and dealers than mine will.

Well I don't share your opinion. Yours, however, will appeal more to the manufacturers and dealers than mine will.
Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the quality of the pictures out of these cameras but am talking about a different style or look is what I'm getting at.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the quality of the pictures out of these cameras but am talking about a different style or look is what I'm getting at.

That is also the domain of the photographer, not the equipment.

Reactions: D7K
This may or may-not, (see how I cleverly covered all bases ...), be what you're seeing/asking about. Sony uses a standard Bayer CFA and Fuji uses a proprietary X-Trans CFA. Depending on your eye, the differences in RAW images can be significant or insignificant. To my eye, X-Trans looks more like film than Bayer, but it is a subtle difference. As most regard Fuji's SOOC JPEGs to be one of the best, in-camera software may also play a role in the difference between X-Trans images and other camera systems images.

hi have moved from mirrorless to Dslr. use to have Sony a7 and then xt-20 and now Nikon d600.
I am just a gadget freak and like to change time by time.
Sony a7 altho a full frame sensor, but doesn't perform very well at high iso. I get plenty of colour banding (purple) at high iso plus the lens are extremely expensive

xt-20 is a good camera with a modern sensor with less purple noise at high iso. however at lower iso, the a7 will be sharper.

the best thing about mirrorless is that all the lens will be calibrated and you will get sharp images. Since I have moved to Nikon d600, I am having a lot of problems with different lens calibration...I even sent my camera for a fix and still struggling to get pin sharp images with the setup.

Most reactions

Back