Fuji XT-1

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone buying a XT-1 this weekend, I'd love to see some sample photos. I have seen online that some people are getting their camera today or even Monday.

Also what do you think of the camera? I'd like to play with one before I buy that or an XE-2.

I read Nick Devlin's absolutely FAWNING, breathless review of the XT-1 on The Luminous Landscape...I was soooo disgusted to see how he saved the camera's worst and most severe fault for almost the end of the review.

The good thing I see is that the Fuji-designed, Fuji-manufactured lenses are superb optics. NOT all that small, but solidly-made, and even the higher-end, and more-critical buyers, like Thom Hogan, have almost nothing but praise for the Fuji lenses.

It "LOOKS LIKE" a really nice camera, and as long as you don't expect autofocus on fast-moving subjects, apparently it's okay. Provided you can stand EVF viewing.

It "LOOKS LIKE" a really nice camera, and as long as you don't expect autofocus on fast-moving subjects, apparently it's okay. Provided you can stand EVF viewing.
The review commented repeatedly and positively on how well the auto-focus worked with fast-moving subjects. Did I miss something?

The review commented repeatedly and positively on how well the auto-focus worked with fast-moving subjects. Did I miss something?

Brian is a sports photographer. As Nick was fawning over the camera he used for a few days, he began with, "While not quite rivaling DSLR focusing yet, it is noticeably better than the first generation “X” cameras, and is usable for almost any application".

My takeway is that, yes, focusing is good, for a mirrorless camera..but still not as good as a d-slr. He took the camera out and tried it on one of the EASIEST targets...automobiles moving at one speed, in a consistent, predictable direction. Cars are BIG, and easily fill the AF brackets...I'd be one hell of a lot more impressed if he has taken the time to write the review after trying to AF on something truly challenging, like say, night football under the lights, or night-time soccer, or indoor basketball, where the subject is erratically moving, not coming in a straight line, and huge. Or, say, BIF...bird in flight.

Again, the review on LL is utterly FAWNING< and breathless, and in my opinion, rather suspect. Did you SEE the guy's shooting partner? THE BS artist from one of Canada's largest web camera dealers, and utter BS sales hype artists... Chris, from The Camera Store...

In other words, this review is from the guy who hyped the chit out of how AMAZING the Sony A7 and A7r were...glossing over ALL of the issues of the A7r and its horrendously vibration-prone shutter, and its chitty, problem-plagued 28-70 kit zoom lens.

Fuji X-T1 Field Test with Nick Devlin - YouTube

The thing is--the review above was written by a camera store hype machine, as a sales vehicle...and after seeing the B.S. video these people put out on the Sony A7, and then ME, demoing the A7 MYSELF, frankly, I do not trust this guy as far as I could throw him. That's what you missed: the review is a HUGE, one-sided love-fest for a camera they have barely used...it has not been on the market long enough for a decent evaluation. These one-day or one-week, quickie, FAWNING, breathless, oh-it-all-roses reviews are suspect, especially from The Camera Store. Chris from TCS pooh-poohed the Nikon D600 oil flinging issue and basically denied that it existed...but then--HE's the mouthpiece for a huge camera store...

Keep in mind--the Luminous Landscape is now under "new management", with a new financial partner involved, and the site is now selling $12 video downloads, and is now HYPING brand-new products via its new affiliation with The Camera Store. This is one of the VERY FIRST reviews of this camera, and it is being prepared by the sales staff of The Camera Store. After seeing The Camera Store's video reviews of the A7 ands A7r, and now the Fuji XT-1, I have to say that The Luminous Landscape's articles and the videos of the people they are associating with need to be taken with a salt shaker full of salt...if Luminous Landscape were an AMERICAN web site, they would have to disclose their relationship with the reviewer and The Camera Store, openly...but they are not doing this...

The good thing I see is that the Fuji-designed, Fuji-manufactured lenses are superb optics. NOT all that small, but solidly-made, and even the higher-end, and more-critical buyers, like Thom Hogan, have almost nothing but praise for the Fuji lenses.

Yea.. they are good; even on their cheapo bridge cameras, they're pretty good.

Thanks D, you seem as interested as I am. Who knows maybe I've been bit by the marketing bug with this.

My D3 is too big n bulky to cary around, bring to weddings, family day trips. I'm looking for something a little better than a PnS.

Ideally Id love to buy an M9 but that won't happen until both kids are out of day care. So I'm looking for a good lightweight product that has interchangeable lens, manual modes and can still perform well. Right now Fuji has it. So I'm looking at the XE-2 and the XT-1.

I won't use this camera for sports. I'd like an XE-2 with the 35 f1.4. Looks like a nice combination. Maybe maybe add something else a little longer reach down the road.

I saw a rumor about Nikon redesigning their "1" camera so who knows.

I have to make a trip to NYC and play with them.

Thanks D, you seem as interested as I am. Who knows maybe I've been bit by the marketing bug with this.

My D3 is too big n bulky to cary around, bring to weddings, family day trips. I'm looking for something a little better than a PnS.

Ideally Id love to buy an M9 but that won't happen until both kids are out of day care. So I'm looking for a good lightweight product that has interchangeable lens, manual modes and can still perform well. Right now Fuji has it. So I'm looking at the XE-2 and the XT-1.

I won't use this camera for sports. I'd like an XE-2 with the 35 f1.4. Looks like a nice combination. Maybe maybe add something else a little longer reach down the road.

Well, I myself have been VERY interested in a mirrorless camera. I read a bunch of reviews for the Sony A7 and A7R. I WATCHED, multiple times, the review that The Camera Store did on the SOny A7 and A7r--BEFORE the cameras were even SHIPPED to dealers, Chris at TCS did a widely-distributed review of the new SOny models. On TPF member cgw did a post about them new Sony offerings and asked if they would be "game changers". I said no. He thought otherwise.

I did more research on the A7 and A7r. After big-name testers, like Lloyd Chambers tested the A7r and found HORRIBLE shutter vibration at 1/2 to 1/100 second, due to the slam shutter closed/stop live view/open shutter/close shutter (yes-close/open/close shutter!!!!!); after users noted that the 28-70 kit zoom had an issue with the OS where the OSS system made the center sharp but the edges HORRIBLY blurred, and after the utter LACK of lenses...I went to PPS and demo'd the A7 myself.

What did I find out? Unlike what "Chris" of The Camera Store lead me to believe, the EVF image of the A7 with the Sony 28-70 is utter crap. It looks "video-ish", blue-ish, and like rubbish. Actually picking the camera up, and looking through it, I found its viewfinder was utter rubbish. HORRIBLE, like looking through a 1990's Sony 8mm camcorder. Oh, it'd be usable for LANDSCAPE snapping, where the subject doesn't move, and there's NO NEED to be able to actually SEE the expression on a person's face, or to literally SEE the image in-focus.

WHat is going on in today's web market is that web sites are trying to BE FIRST with rave reviews, so that THEY get the affiliate click-through buying credits, and make THEIR money off of early buyers. Luminous Landscape is now in the business of SELLING overpriced downloads ($12? $14? for a freaking interview???) and is now trying to cash in, big-time. The Camera Store, being in Canada, now can skirt around the USA's new web laws that FORCE sites based in the USA to disclose their affiliate links.

My point is that this is all relatively new--the LL used to be a trusted source..but I see that under Kevin's new managing of their business affairs, that the site is now headed in a different direction on some items. What REALLY drove this home for me was the Sony A7 and A7r HYPE MACHINE, the early reviews, The Camera Store fawning about the A7 and A7r, and now, I see that LL's reviewer is buddy-buddy with The Camera Store's "Chris"; the Chris behind the early,early HYPE about the Sony, and now this EARLY,early hype about the brand-new Fuji, has really raised my suspicions. I saw video, and was TOLD many things about the Sony A7 series by this same fellow, and then,after three weeks of release, the actual issues came to light. Bottom line? I no longer trust the Luminous Landscape, or their affiliates, or their new, commercially-driven, less-than-a-week-of-use, FAWNING reviews. I know how it works: be first to review, and make money on those who click-through and buy from your affiliates...

I no longer trust a site that USED to be run by one man, who now has a new business model, and new people who have hyped the crap out of what are essentially, two expensive, deeply flawed cameras. Brian, yes, you MUST actually handle the camera and see for yourself. From what I read, and saw on video, the new Sony A7/A7r were "amazing". What I held in my hands was NOT what I had been told by multiple early reviewers/salesmen, one of whom is associated with the above review of this brand-new Fuji. I'm tired of being mislead. This whole new "early-review/hype machine" trend is disillusioning to me.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see Ken Rockwells review.

I read Nick Devlin's absolutely FAWNING, breathless review of the XT-1 on The Luminous Landscape...I was soooo disgusted to see how he saved the camera's worst and most severe fault for almost the end of the review.

Well to be fair at least they bothered to mention such things at all - a lot of reviews won't it seems.

This is what the nikon DF should have been!

Well, I myself have been VERY interested in a mirrorless camera. I read a bunch of reviews for the Sony A7 and A7R. I WATCHED, multiple times, the review that The Camera Store did on the SOny A7 and A7r--BEFORE the cameras were even SHIPPED to dealers, Chris at TCS did a widely-distributed review of the new SOny models. On TPF member cgw did a post about them new Sony offerings and asked if they would be "game changers". I said no. He thought otherwise.

I did more research on the A7 and A7r. After big-name testers, like Lloyd Chambers tested the A7r and found HORRIBLE shutter vibration at 1/2 to 1/100 second, due to the slam shutter closed/stop live view/open shutter/close shutter (yes-close/open/close shutter!!!!!); after users noted that the 28-70 kit zoom had an issue with the OS where the OSS system made the center sharp but the edges HORRIBLY blurred, and after the utter LACK of lenses...I went to PPS and demo'd the A7 myself.

What did I find out? Unlike what "Chris" of The Camera Store lead me to believe, the EVF image of the A7 with the Sony 28-70 is utter crap. It looks "video-ish", blue-ish, and like rubbish. Actually picking the camera up, and looking through it, I found its viewfinder was utter rubbish. HORRIBLE, like looking through a 1990's Sony 8mm camcorder. Oh, it'd be usable for LANDSCAPE snapping, where the subject doesn't move, and there's NO NEED to be able to actually SEE the expression on a person's face, or to literally SEE the image in-focus.

WHat is going on in today's web market is that web sites are trying to BE FIRST with rave reviews, so that THEY get the affiliate click-through buying credits, and make THEIR money off of early buyers. Luminous Landscape is now in the business of SELLING overpriced downloads ($12? $14? for a freaking interview???) and is now trying to cash in, big-time. The Camera Store, being in Canada, now can skirt around the USA's new web laws that FORCE sites based in the USA to disclose their affiliate links.

My point is that this is all relatively new--the LL used to be a trusted source..but I see that under Kevin's new managing of their business affairs, that the site is now headed in a different direction on some items. What REALLY drove this home for me was the Sony A7 and A7r HYPE MACHINE, the early reviews, The Camera Store fawning about the A7 and A7r, and now, I see that LL's reviewer is buddy-buddy with The Camera Store's "Chris"; the Chris behind the early,early HYPE about the Sony, and now this EARLY,early hype about the brand-new Fuji, has really raised my suspicions. I saw video, and was TOLD many things about the Sony A7 series by this same fellow, and then,after three weeks of release, the actual issues came to light. Bottom line? I no longer trust the Luminous Landscape, or their affiliates, or their new, commercially-driven, less-than-a-week-of-use, FAWNING reviews. I know how it works: be first to review, and make money on those who click-through and buy from your affiliates...

I no longer trust a site that USED to be run by one man, who now has a new business model, and new people who have hyped the crap out of what are essentially, two expensive, deeply flawed cameras. Brian, yes, you MUST actually handle the camera and see for yourself. From what I read, and saw on video, the new Sony A7/A7r were "amazing". What I held in my hands was NOT what I had been told by multiple early reviewers/salesmen, one of whom is associated with the above review of this brand-new Fuji. I'm tired of being mislead. This whole new "early-review/hype machine" trend is disillusioning to me.

I guess that is one advantage to having such a limited camera budget, I generally don't end up buying stuff until it's at least a generation or two (or sometimes 4 or 5) behind the cutting edge, so as a result it's been out for a while and I generally get a lot more sources of unbiased info on it before I decide whether or not to take out the wallet.

Me I would love to get a mirrorless at some point once they actually overcome some of these issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a solid DSLR fan and will likely remain so for years to come, but it would be nice to have something fairly portable with good image quality with which I could compliment my current DSLR setup.

It just frustrates me to no end that it's really hard to get anyone that reviews them to put they hype on hold and just talk about the EVF - half the time they don't even mention it and when they do it's usually "oh, it's clear and bright" to which my response has always been, great. Can I shoot more than one frame per second without it starting to lag after a couple of shots?

Seems like everytime I ask that on most EVF systems all I get in response is the sound of crickets. They never seem to mention how well the EVF does in bad lighting either. Well sure it's clear and bright when I'm outside in the blazing sun, but that's not really what I want to know. What I want to know is how does it do when the lighting stinks on ice?

Sad thing is when I ask a lot of folks interpret this to be some sort of attack on mirrorless or mirrorless owners.. and it really isn't. I honestly want to know because I'd like to get something like this for myself. But I want to buy based on fact, not hype.

I got the Fuji X100s and it's just awesome. The autofocus isn't the best but the sensor is pretty incredible.

Plus that hybrid rangefinder/EVF is pretty nifty.

I think Fuji is headed in the right direction when it comes to giving consumers tech that is unique and fulfills some parts of the market that Canikony seems to be dismissing.

I went to such length on this issue because I myself have become interested in a new, non-Nikon, ILC...a new camera that can accept "other lenses". What's happened over the last few years is that there's a NEW movement under way, in which "some" websites are literally rushing camera reviews out, and getting both web, and YouTube VIDEO reviews out. Some of these video reviews are nothing more than thinly veiled SALES videos, designed to get people to Buy It Now, right on the sites. Camera "reviews" done in video format, after a single DAY down by the river, snapping pics, followed by a segment where the store's normal video camera operator talks about the awesome video capability of a camera...I find this disgusting.

When well-established web sites suddenly start "selling out" like this, providing these so-called "reviews" based on a one-day or even a one-week shoot, it's time to speak up. WHen a camera is JUST, as in JUST beginning to become available but ONLY to people with "connections", and those people use their connections and influence to enrich themselves, I find it sickening.

I want to make it clear--I'm not saying the Fuji XT-1 is a bad camera. What I am saying is that the review I read of it is utterly FAWNING. ANd one of the shooting partners of the man who wrote this "quickie review" has a direct connection to a camera store pitch man whose company I simply do not trust, based on a B.S. review done of the LAST, prior brand-spanking-new camera, which he hyped the crap out of BEFORE it was available to the general public. I see a pattern here.

Most reactions

Back