fujichrome velvia question

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
going to mexico and i want to stock up on film, i really havent experimented or taken notes with films i been using but im going to be taking strictly landscapes, most sunrise and sunsets.

my question is, whats the biggest difference between 50, 100, and 100f.

i dont care about skintones, i want something vivid and something that wont fail under long exposure.

also for the airport, would i be able to bring my film through the regular metal detector? should i buy a special bag for xray?

Here's a good description of the various incarnations of velvia: Fuji Velvia 100F

low speed film shouldn't be a problem through the x-ray, but don't put it in your checked baggage--the x-rays used to scan checked baggage are far stronger.

i looked at the ken rockwell link, but hes too opinionated to really trust. although he is probably right, i think i will go for the 100

If you are able..and you have the time, consider downloading Alien Skin Exposure trial
Alien Skin Software: Exposure

It's a filter set for Photoshop/CS. It mimics types of film..including Velvia and lots of others.
You could try it to get a sense of what various films are like.

I bought a lead sack for my film, and going through the airport watched them scan it in my bag.

It looked like a bag in a bag, then they got concerned, asked me to take it out of my bag, and put it back in the xray machine.

They must have used an extra high dose of xrays, because I could see the little cans from teh 35mm films, and the rolls of 120mm

So I think, CRAP. And when the film was developed, it looked completely normal.

So I wondered if the lead sack actually did anything. So I took a slide film and black and white film, and left them in my bag on my next plane trip out and back. They were zapped several times, and when I had them developed they showed no exposure, no fogging, no white.

A trip later, I had a roll of iso 800 lomo film in my camera, that got scanned... The picutres all had a very strange bluish purplish tint to them that I assume is the xrays. But, it's lomo film, so I can't be sure.

So, in short: if your film gets xrayed it'll probably be all right. However, it's always better to be safe then sorry...

i looked at the ken rockwell link, but hes too opinionated to really trust. although he is probably right, i think i will go for the 100

Well everybody's opinion is "opinionated," and should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

So I wondered if the lead sack actually did anything.
I wouldn't even bother with it... Put the film in a clear plastic bag and have it hand inspected. No x-rays.

If they try to scan the lead bag, they'll just boost the power till they can see through it, like they did with you. So, because of the film being in the bag, it's probably actually getting a higher dose of x-rays than if it were just loose...

The TSA has guidelines on their website for film... If I remember right, most film has to be scanned 4 or 5 times before you have to start worrying.

You should get some metal pipe and put the film inside and screw caps on both ends.

They'll thank you for being so thoughtful and kind to prevent their inadvertently fogging your film. ;)

If you do this please have a video camera handy to record their faces

oh yeah,, don't mention my name :lmao:

I shot a lot of RDPII and RDPIII (Provia 100F) outdoors for a long time. I eventually got tired of it, the contrast being just to high. I was shooting at or near sunset and sunrise. Would loose the shadows and highlights at the same time. Concluded that it was more of a studio film where lighting is under control. Velvia doesn't appear to be as contrasty according to Fuji's published data, the 50 being more neutral as well. From the data the 100 doesn't seem to be related to the 50. I actually found myself shooting Sensia, being consumer oriented it just seemed it was a lot more tolerant of exposure and scene lighting, while still having some of the saturation.

Learned to shoot with Kodak films, but it seemed that with each new version, the films became less saturated and flatter. Eventually becoming kind of cold and boring. Comparing images from nearly 20 years ago to more recent, what a difference. Lots more punch in those older films. I digress.

If you have the time why not shot some test rolls and see what appeals to you.

David

Last edited:
If you have the time why not shot some test rolls and see what appeals to you.

This is the best thing you can do if you have a chance. All films have different looks and feels to them. You might find, for instance, you hate Fujichrome and prefer kodak ektachrome. Or maybe in the end you prefer something completely different. It's a very personal thing. I can tell you what I like, David can tell you what he likes, but it might not be what YOU like

Most reactions

Back