Fujifilm x-e1 versus x-e2

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by millerguide, Jul 13, 2014.

1. millerguide

millerguide TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello again friends :)

So, I will be doing professional food photography, both in the "field" (ie restaurants haha), and in-studio. I have decided to go with the Fujifilm X series, for many reasons. So, I am torn between the x-e1 and x-e2. The x-e1 has really stellar reviews and images. Does the x-e2 have any real advantages, for my purposes, that justify the extra couple of hundred dollars? Thanks!

2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    For what you're talking about doing I don't see much advantage in the X-E2. They both have X-Trans sensors but the X-E2 has a slightly newer version. The X-E1 is equipped with a 12 bit A/D converter and the X-E2 has a 14 bit A/D converter. Those extra 2 bits aren't going to mean anything unless you're trying to squeeze the last little bit of DR from something like a backlit landscape. Otherwise the biggest change in the cameras is the addition of phase detect AF focusing in the X-E2. Neither camera is going to be a stellar performer when it comes to follow AF with sports action -- not your worry. People do complain about the speed of the AF in the X-E1 but only when trying to focus on fast action.

I picked up an X-E2 six months ago and I'm overall delighted with the camera. Optics are superb and I'm very happy with the Fuji X-Trans sensor. The sensor color filter array is quirky; it has real advantages but you do have limited raw file processing options compared with a standard Bayer array (I'm missing my DX0, but I'll live).

Joe

3. millerguide

millerguide TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ysarex, thank you. Some of the restaurants I will be shooting in will have pretty low light. Do you think I need the X-E2 for those?

4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The latest X-E1 firmware update added focus-peaking. AF isn't much of an advantage in food photography.

5. millerguide

millerguide TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cgw, thank you. Do you think the improved sensor on the XE-2 is worth it for my purposes?

6. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Low light is a problem for all cameras. The X-E1 will perform as well as the X-E2 in this regard -- same size sensor. Larger sensors help but in the end the only real answers are use a tripod and get sufficient exposure or increase the light.

Joe

7. millerguide

millerguide TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok thanks all! I am still a bit undecided, so I am going to hit some shops and see what sort of prices I can get. I am in China, so everything is negotiable with lots of yelling haha. Thanks!

8. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

9. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I just ordered the X-T1 it is only a little more expensive than the X-E2 but has a great look and a lot more manual control and a great big viewfinder, though the pictures most likely look the same as the ones from the X-E1 for double the price.

I had the X-E1 and returned it as it`s supposed to be poor at sports/moving subject photography, so i was looking at the E2 but at almost twice the price for very little difference phase detection and higher resulution viewfinder and +-3 exposure compensation, the T1 is better in my oppinion i should be delivered tommorow :wink: also my E1 battery`s should fit it, i have 4.

John.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  10. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Hope you enjoy the camera; the X-T1 looks like a very nice camera, but I'm not sure I know how you can have more manual control that full manual control ;-)

Joe

11. MichaelHenson

MichaelHenson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice! I'd REALLY like to order an X-T1...one of these days! :) Of course, by then there will be the next generation out...

12. bigal1000

bigal1000 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

XE2 is miles ahead of the XE1 with the current firmware 2.10 but that is only my opinion others will disagree I'm sure ! Get the XE2...........