Fujifilm x-e1 versus x-e2

millerguide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again friends :)

So, I will be doing professional food photography, both in the "field" (ie restaurants haha), and in-studio. I have decided to go with the Fujifilm X series, for many reasons. So, I am torn between the x-e1 and x-e2. The x-e1 has really stellar reviews and images. Does the x-e2 have any real advantages, for my purposes, that justify the extra couple of hundred dollars? Thanks!

For what you're talking about doing I don't see much advantage in the X-E2. They both have X-Trans sensors but the X-E2 has a slightly newer version. The X-E1 is equipped with a 12 bit A/D converter and the X-E2 has a 14 bit A/D converter. Those extra 2 bits aren't going to mean anything unless you're trying to squeeze the last little bit of DR from something like a backlit landscape. Otherwise the biggest change in the cameras is the addition of phase detect AF focusing in the X-E2. Neither camera is going to be a stellar performer when it comes to follow AF with sports action -- not your worry. People do complain about the speed of the AF in the X-E1 but only when trying to focus on fast action.

I picked up an X-E2 six months ago and I'm overall delighted with the camera. Optics are superb and I'm very happy with the Fuji X-Trans sensor. The sensor color filter array is quirky; it has real advantages but you do have limited raw file processing options compared with a standard Bayer array (I'm missing my DX0, but I'll live).

Joe

Ysarex, thank you. Some of the restaurants I will be shooting in will have pretty low light. Do you think I need the X-E2 for those?

The latest X-E1 firmware update added focus-peaking. AF isn't much of an advantage in food photography.

cgw, thank you. Do you think the improved sensor on the XE-2 is worth it for my purposes?

Ysarex, thank you. Some of the restaurants I will be shooting in will have pretty low light. Do you think I need the X-E2 for those?

Low light is a problem for all cameras. The X-E1 will perform as well as the X-E2 in this regard -- same size sensor. Larger sensors help but in the end the only real answers are use a tripod and get sufficient exposure or increase the light.

Joe

Ok thanks all! I am still a bit undecided, so I am going to hit some shops and see what sort of prices I can get. I am in China, so everything is negotiable with lots of yelling haha. Thanks!

I just ordered the X-T1 it is only a little more expensive than the X-E2 but has a great look and a lot more manual control and a great big viewfinder, though the pictures most likely look the same as the ones from the X-E1 for double the price.

I had the X-E1 and returned it as it`s supposed to be poor at sports/moving subject photography, so i was looking at the E2 but at almost twice the price for very little difference phase detection and higher resulution viewfinder and +-3 exposure compensation, the T1 is better in my oppinion i should be delivered tommorow :wink: also my E1 battery`s should fit it, i have 4.

John.

Last edited:
I just ordered the X-T1 it is only a little more expensive than the X-E2 but has a great look and a lot more manual control....

Hope you enjoy the camera; the X-T1 looks like a very nice camera, but I'm not sure I know how you can have more manual control that full manual control ;-)

Joe

Very nice! I'd REALLY like to order an X-T1...one of these days! :) Of course, by then there will be the next generation out...

XE2 is miles ahead of the XE1 with the current firmware 2.10 but that is only my opinion others will disagree I'm sure ! Get the XE2...........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back