Fujifilm X-T1 or Fujifilm FinePix X100S (GOODBYE DSLR)

Fujifilm X-T1 or Fujifilm FinePix X100S

• Fujifilm FinePix X100S

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Fujifilm X-T1

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

AfternoonTea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've sold off all my DSLR gear, and ditched it completely. For the longest time I've loved FujiFilm as far as when I was a kid. Today when taking film photography I still use there film rolls on my LOMO LC-A+ Russian lenses. I'm not getting paid; just a passion hobby. My opinion on DSLR was that it is too bulky, heavy, and taking it around is just babysitting hassle (especially when being in the moment is more important). For 5 years I've used it as a learning tool into digital photography, and now I'm pretty accelerated in the art. The epiphany that got me past the borderline was that I was not getting most of the shots the way I wanted them to be, that they did not have the 'feel' the 'color' the 'sexiness'. Perhaps I just like the Fuji mojo look and sure I can attempt to reproduce the look in Light-room or Photoshop, but it wasn't the same, it was the never the same. You see carrying a DSLR around my area is more of the HIP thing with us teens. Carrying one would mean your some tumbler kid that takes cool photos (mind you most like to use auto mode) and if you had one you deemed as taking pro shots. Bottom line it an eye catcher which ruined some candid/natural shots. In addition I was not allowed to take it into many music venues, or performances due to it being professional in the eyes of the common man (hiding them deep inside massive shrubs with friends boosting me up to the highest point; discreetly inthe darkness of night), but really it was just a 60D with two prime lenses (50mm 1.4 and 28mm 2.8 IS). Most importantly the pictures I was taking was not of satisfactory, what I wanted (due to limitation of my cropped sensor 50mm combo, colors, whites, blacks, luminance, ISO sensitivity). The only thing I see a DSLR good for... in my opinion is clinical work and maybe if I were to go to the Himalayas. If I were to ever go back to DSLR. I would save-up and pick-up a Full-Frame and prime 50mm 1.2 and a 35mm

My personal preference is prime lenses, and people photography. I love to capture the natural beauty of people (their faces, and fashion). Not in a clinical environment, but outdoors, in the streets, window light, or in a well lite cafe. I love taking group photos (was limited with the crop sensor. Even though I had a 28mm, the 50mm just looked more natural and I had steps back sometimes not possible in a room, I kept the 28 for street photography, landscape, nature, video with its Image stabilization) and I love candid shots. My personal taste in aesthetically beautiful shots are those with tons of natural soft whites, luminant, uniquely soft vivid colors, and natural skin with a hint of a soft bright tone. I also love going on morning,afternoon, and evening hikes into nature. Inside a forest or a the massive landscapes of a meadow. I also like street photography. For that I go to Chicago an hour away.

You see I've always the X100S because I KNOW I can achieve my preferences with this camera. I've also seen hundreds of sample photos all over flicker from the novice to the pros. All but breathtaking, but all the sudden this X-T1 was announced?! For the similar price!

With specs similar

FUJIFILM X100S - Specifications | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

FUJIFILM X-T1 - Specifications | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

Now I have the money to buy one of these cameras. I was locked into just buying the X100S until the announcement of the X-T1. I understand if the X-T1 has interchangeable lenses, though I would only get prime lenses. What does the X100S have over the X-T1?
Price:

Fujifilm X100S Digital Camera (Silver) 16321066 B&H Photo Video

Fujifilm X-T1 Mirrorless Digital Camera 16421452 XT1 Body B&H Photo

With the goodbye of DSLR.

I love bokeh, and I'm satisfied with X100S bokeh based off the sample pictures, and I love the results of pictures the X100S has to offer (colors, tones, whites, ISO, sharpness), but does the X-T1 take the same pictures (or can take the same) are they the same? What are the differences (aside from interchangeable) Which one would you recommend for me? Sure one is interchangeable, and I can get a Fujinon XF 23mm f/1.4 or 35mm, but would it be the same as the X100S combo in terms of the pictures result IQ? Please I'm stuck, I would like opinions; I just want to get back to taking pictures. I have till March (maybe the x100S will lower in price?)

The x100s has one thing over T1: a fixed lense. That means it is optimised and gives max possible IQ. The other advantage is obviously the size and portability. You can put it in your pocket. T1 is compact, but still will need a small bag just as any entry level DSLR. I guess it all depends on your style of shooting.
I still think that the versatility of T1 is worth going for, especially if you shoot a lot of street portraits. Their new 56mm 1.2 lense is very tempting and in my view is ideal for street portraiture. The negative here is the price, FUJI lenses are not cheap, Zeiss are not cheap either.. The new EVF is also very intriguing. From what I hear it is a real game changer.
I would have chosen T1 simply to have an opportunity to use FUJI lenses. Unlike Nikon and Canon FUJI does not have to dumb down its APS-C lenses range and it already looks superior to both Nikon and Canon. And to consider two 2.8 const. aperture weatherproof zooms, that are coming this spring/summer...
I am with you absolutely regarding the DSRL vs Mirrorlrss. DSLR is walking dead. DX lenses have no future because of a smaller flange distance of a mirrorless. No wonder we see no new good DX lenses. I think Nikon is in real trouble. They can not kill DX but they will soon start losing to mirrorless big time. They can not use their DX lenses for their new mirrorless cameras without an adapter and anyway it will lose because mirrorless short flange lenses are smaller anyway.. FX will survive for longer since the compact body is not that needed with big FX lenses. But as soon as we will see the new generation of FF mirrorless bodies - large but flat, sort of thick tablets with a grip and large touch screen and lots on on-screen controls, huge EVF with again lots of data and controls, etc, the outdated bulky FF bodies with their pathetic 3" screens and an optical viewfinder with no variable magnification and unable even to show a future shot will start looking ridiculous. That's what I think anyway.

So one thing is clear,: if you do not have the luggage, it is time to jump off the train that is going to hit the wall. If you have the luggage i. e. a lot of DSLR lenses... Enjoy your camera.. My view is a bit radical and simplified, but the writing is on the wall - that wall...

Last edited:
I LOVE the looks of the X-T1. Like a mini-slr with traditional, analog-style control inputs in what appears to be an EXTREMELY logical, and well designed style. 8 frames per second maximum firing rate. APS-C sized sensor, and it comes with the new Fuji flash unit for $1299. Great Fuji optics available. We will have to actually wait to SEE and FEEL it...it's probably a wonderfully made camera. Fuji is on a roll.

I owned and shot the Fuji S1 Pro and S2 Pro d-slrs; I shot the S2 Pro a HELL of a lot for two years, and I have to say, the COLOR PALETTE that FUji had in the S2 Pro was probably the most pleasing one I have owned. Not accurate color really, but very pleasing color, with more yellow than needed in the greens, and slightly warm fleshtones, and in a way, an almost better-than-life type of color rendering from SOOC JPEGS, and also just amazing color from their .RAF files too. I've seen some of the Fuji X-camera files on the web, and haver to say, they do look nice.

Yes, they (Fuji images)do look special and very distinct. I am not yet completely sure if it is good or bad :) But the controls on T1 look great. I imagine you can shoot with it for a week and never have to look in the menu..

I would go with the X100S. It does not sound like you would be missing any shots vs the X-T1 and in fact I think you will be making many more by always having the X100S with you. Now if I did go with the X-T1 I would go with a kit like Corey has up for sale.

Having used both cameras what Dave says is entirely true. The only thing I would add to it is the X-T1 isn't that much larger, but adding something like the 23mm makes the X-T1 significantly bigger than the X100s. You really just have to decide what is more important: versatility or size/portability. I would say go get both in your hands at a camera store if there is one near you.

Also consider what kind of focal lengths you like to shoot. If you lean to almost always using something wider, than the x100s is a great choice. However if you use lenses more towards the tele end of the spectrum if even occasionally (this may be important if you want to do something like portraits) you should probably just look at the X-T1. Also if you are a bokeh nut the Fuji X System has the 56mm 1.2...

Having used both cameras what Dave says is entirely true. The only thing I would add to it is the X-T1 isn't that much larger, but adding something like the 23mm makes the X-T1 significantly bigger than the X100s. You really just have to decide what is more important: versatility or size/portability. I would say go get both in your hands at a camera store if there is one near you.

Also consider what kind of focal lengths you like to shoot. If you lean to almost always using something wider, than the x100s is a great choice. However if you use lenses more towards the tele end of the spectrum if even occasionally (this may be important if you want to do something like portraits) you should probably just look at the X-T1. Also if you are a bokeh nut the Fuji X System has the 56mm 1.2...

You can add a 27 mm pancake lense to X-T1, it is tiny and weights nothing.

It depends on your use. If you want a DSLR replacement, get the XT-1. The autofocus is better. The EVF is better. The LCD is slightly larger and is twice the resolution. It has a faster burst rate. It has a more versatile lens selection (duh).

However, the X100S is much less intrusive. I often slip mine into my coat pocket with no problems. It's also less cumbersome and causes me less stress. I never get that" Damn, if only I had X lens on my camera instead of in my bag right now" with the X100S.

It also has a leaf shutter and a built in 2-stop ND filter (since you can only shoot at 1/1000 at f/2). This means that it's easier to shoot with flash in bright sun without having to stop down to f/8 and beyond at ISO 200.

XT-1 = DSLR replacement
X100S = Inconspicuous rangefinder

Two totally different beasts.

Honestly, if you're used to DSLR controls and the flexibility of interchangeable lenses, I would go for the XT-1. It's smaller than a DSLR, have a great, relatively cheap lens selection, and will allow you to diversify if you ever feel the need.

I wouldn't recommend throwing everything into the X100S unless you've used one alongside your old gear for a while, because it does not handle like a DSLR. It is very quirky and sometimes infuriating, especially when compared to the much familiar ergonomics and style of the XT-1 (plus the XT-1 has all the superior tech mentioned earlier)

PS: Whichever one you get, invest in 3-4 batteries. These things are energy vampires.

Last edited:
That is true! I don't have any experience with the 27mm but with that on the X-T1 it looks like the size difference would be a lot smaller. Comparison.

It is a wonderful lense, the only drawback compared to other FUJI lenses is lack of aperture ring, you operate it with the back wheel control on FT-1. I work today, sitting in my office and it is on my XT-1 in my bag here right now. :)

It depends on your use. If you want a DSLR replacement, get the XT-1. The autofocus is better. The EVF is better. The LCD is slightly larger and is twice the resolution. It has a faster burst rate. It has a more versatile lens selection (duh).

However, the X100S is much less intrusive. I often slip mine into my coat pocket with no problems. It's also less cumbersome and causes me less stress. I never get that" Damn, if only I had X lens on my camera instead of in my bag right now" with the X100S.

It also has a leaf shutter and a built in 2-stop ND filter (since you can only shoot at 1/1000 at f/2). This means that it's easier to shoot with flash in bright sun without having to stop down to f/8 and beyond at ISO 200.

XT-1 = DSLR replacement
X100S = Inconspicuous rangefinder

Two totally different beasts.

Honestly, if you're used to DSLR controls and the flexibility of interchangeable lenses, I would go for the XT-1. It's smaller than a DSLR, have a great, relatively cheap lens selection, and will allow you to diversify if you ever feel the need.

I wouldn't recommend throwing everything into the X100S unless you've used one alongside your old gear for a while, because it does not handle like a DSLR. It is very quirky and sometimes infuriating, especially when compared to the much familiar ergonomics and style of the XT-1 (plus the XT-1 has all the superior tech mentioned earlier)

PS: Whichever one you get, invest in 3-4 batteries. These things are energy vampires.

I agree, especially with the advice not to throw everything into X-100s, until you are sure its fixed lense is sufficient for your style and interests in photography. A handful of cheap as chips Chinese batteries is a must, sure.
And I agree that FUJI lenses are relatively cheap. That means relative to Canikon top pro glass. I recently bought three FUJI X lenses and it cost me more than twice as much as the X-T1 camera. Popular FUJI 56 mm alone is almost as much as X-T1 body.
Had i not had my little Ricoh GR, I would have bought X-100T tomorrow as my second camera. It makes more sense than buying a FUJI 23 mm lense.

There's no comparison here... If you call a photo enthusiast or more, which by default you do since you are on this forum, you ought to pick the X-T1. It is much more capable in every aspect.

I don't buy that put your camera in your pocket thing. What do you do with your hands then? Throw obscene gestures at passer by? 99% of my photos are taken when I am traveling abroad, and I never found the size or weight of the X-T1 burdensome. I hold it with my left hand - no strap and never dropped it. It's ergonomically and frictionally great. AND the X100S is not that much smaller. Both will look weird if you put them in your pockets.

Get the XT and start shooting with those Russian lenses again!

I love my xt1. :586::ambivalence:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back