Fujifilm XE2 versus XT1

millerguide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have definitely decided that, between the XE1 and the XE2, I will get the XE2. However, I have read that the XT1 is about the same as the XE2, but with weatherproofing, which I would find very useful. But, is it worth the extra $300 or so?

This may be a little biased because it is on Fujifilms site. I looked at the spec comparisons and 1 fps faster, a tilt monitor, interval timer shooting would be work $300 to me.

Hope that helps.

Weatherproofing opens up options for outdoor shooting without plastic bags etc - although you will need lenses etc that are weather sealed too.

As for what Ron said, I agree, 100% worth it, as you'll notice further down the line and wish you could timelapse or get that 1 extra frame per second cos you keep missing stuff.

Odd no one mentioned the huge difference between the X-E2 and X-T1 view finders...

You really need to connect with this Fuji X-only site and/or do some first-hand investigation:

Portal - Fuji X Forum

The XT1 is weather-resistant, not weather-proof. Note that there is an enormous difference between the two.
Plus the XT1's weather-resistance is predicated on using weather-resistant lenses.

So, I have definitely decided that, between the XE1 and the XE2, I will get the XE2. However, I have read that the XT1 is about the same as the XE2, but with weatherproofing, which I would find very useful. But, is it worth the extra $300 or so?

Only you can decide that, I was going thru the same thing, but I purchased the XE2 and used the $500 saved towards another Fuji lens. It has the same sensor as the XT1,I'm more interested in IQ than a little larger VF, but that's what I did.

Last edited:
The X T1 hase some extra features. But do you need them? I really like the remote app for the X T1 when I shoot from a tripod. Also the feel of the camera I like. I decided to get the T1. Also use the Pro1

Here is another thing to consider...the form factor. The XT1 looks like a DSLR vs X-E2 doesn't. When you do street shooting..people tend to put up more red flags because if you put a 55-200 lens on the XT1 it screams Paparazzi. If you put that same lens on the X-E2 it looks more like a point and shoot with a long lens.

tried both out...was set on the XT-1 then some car trouble pulled some $$$ away. got the X-E2 with the XF18-55 and picked up an XF35 F1.4...miss the feel of the XT-1 and it's "roomy" EVF but not disappointed in the performance of the X-E2. now, I just need a long zoom to test on some surfers.

I own the Fujifilm XE2 and have had a chance to put it through its paces for the past couple of months. It is a fantastic camera and I've shot with it in extremely damp/humid conditions as well as light rain with no issues. I am also extremely happy with the EVF on this camera, took some time getting used to from my D600 OVF (which I sold) but it is nice. Without a doubt the XT1 will offer better durability in extreme weather conditions as well as better viewfinder but you also have to consider it is a slightly bigger camera and different looking camera, not much smaller than your entry level DSLRs. The whole point for my purchase was to get something more portable than my former DSLR setup and the XE2 delivered. Be sure to handle both before purchase.

If I were looking for an universal camera for traveling or everyday walking I would get X-E2 because of built-in flash. Yes I know that a flash goes with X-T1 but it's not the same. One needs to attach it before a shot or to remove before putting it in the bag. Many times I found than built-in flash is essential even if it's not as good as external unit.

If I were looking for an universal camera for traveling or everyday walking I would get X-E2 because of built-in flash. Yes I know that a flash goes with X-T1 but it's not the same. One needs to attach it before a shot or to remove before putting it in the bag. Many times I found than built-in flash is essential even if it's not as good as external unit.

I want to add to this, the built in flash on the XE2 was actually a pleasant surprise for me in that it actually articulates. You can bounce it off the ceiling or walls to dilute some of the harshness from using flash directly on the subject. For a built in flash it works better than the built in flash on my D600.

The X-T1 has a lot more features than just weatherproofiing over the X-E1 ... it has faster autofocus, more direct access buttons, better EVF etcetcetc

However, image quality is 1:1 the same. And both cameras have 1:1 the same IQ as the much cheaper X-M1 and if at all, only slightly better than the X-A1.

For a built in flash it works better than the built in flash on my D600.
Definitely not for me, because I can use my D600's builtin flash to control my actual flash.

And about tilting, only being able to tilt up is better than nothing, sure, but quite often its pointless, even more so with a weak buildin flash.

What makes you assume that the XE2 built in flash is weak such that bouncing it is pointless? Because I use it religiously in that manner with excellent results in most situations with ceiling heights up to 12 feet. It's nice that you can control your flash output with the D600 only it still doesn't solve the issue that it harshly unevenly exposes the subject regardless of the output strength. Articulating a built in flash is extremely useful, try it out.

I said "quite often useless" and not "completely useless". Dont take what I said to the extremes. I merely said that its quite often not what I want to do anyway. For starters, the wall above might not be white. Also when I photograph in portrait position the wall to the side might not be white. Also of course I simply wouldnt actually want to flash into that direction, like a portrait picture in which I want to flash upwards, or a landscape picture in which I want to flash sideways, or a picture in which I want to flash backwards because the wall behind me is white. And so on and so forth.

Its a nice gimmick to have a builtin flash that tilts upwards, but the feature that I can control my off camera flash with my builtin flash is more useful to me than the ability to tilt the on camera flash. I had an flash that doesnt tilt but upwards (SB400) and I very quickly noticed it was often useless. After that I started to get a lot more wary of advices given by Ken Rockwell.

As I already mentioned in the posting you answered to - I use external flash. Thus I really know about the idea of tilting my flash. On and off camera, and when off camera controlled by my builtin flash or controlled by cable. Havent taken the next step (radio) yet though.

Most reactions

Back