Fujifilm XE2 versus XT1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by millerguide, Jul 16, 2014.

1. millerguide

millerguide TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So, I have definitely decided that, between the XE1 and the XE2, I will get the XE2. However, I have read that the XT1 is about the same as the XE2, but with weatherproofing, which I would find very useful. But, is it worth the extra $300 or so?

2. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This may be a little biased because it is on Fujifilms site. I looked at the spec comparisons and 1 fps faster, a tilt monitor, interval timer shooting would be work $300 to me.

Hope that helps.

3. SnappingShark

SnappingShark Always learning. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Weatherproofing opens up options for outdoor shooting without plastic bags etc - although you will need lenses etc that are weather sealed too.

As for what Ron said, I agree, 100% worth it, as you'll notice further down the line and wish you could timelapse or get that 1 extra frame per second cos you keep missing stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Odd no one mentioned the huge difference between the X-E2 and X-T1 view finders...

You really need to connect with this Fuji X-only site and/or do some first-hand investigation:

Portal - Fuji X Forum

5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The XT1 is weather-resistant, not weather-proof. Note that there is an enormous difference between the two.
    Plus the XT1's weather-resistance is predicated on using weather-resistant lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigal1000

bigal1000 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only you can decide that, I was going thru the same thing, but I purchased the XE2 and used the $500 saved towards another Fuji lens. It has the same sensor as the XT1,I'm more interested in IQ than a little larger VF, but that's what I did.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. EOSfotografie

EOSfotografie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The X T1 hase some extra features. But do you need them? I really like the remote app for the X T1 when I shoot from a tripod. Also the feel of the camera I like. I decided to get the T1. Also use the Pro1

8. carylee2002

carylee2002 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is another thing to consider...the form factor. The XT1 looks like a DSLR vs X-E2 doesn't. When you do street shooting..people tend to put up more red flags because if you put a 55-200 lens on the XT1 it screams Paparazzi. If you put that same lens on the X-E2 it looks more like a point and shoot with a long lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chile

chile TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    tried both out...was set on the XT-1 then some car trouble pulled some $$$ away. got the X-E2 with the XF18-55 and picked up an XF35 F1.4...miss the feel of the XT-1 and it's "roomy" EVF but not disappointed in the performance of the X-E2. now, I just need a long zoom to test on some surfers.

10. CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I own the Fujifilm XE2 and have had a chance to put it through its paces for the past couple of months. It is a fantastic camera and I've shot with it in extremely damp/humid conditions as well as light rain with no issues. I am also extremely happy with the EVF on this camera, took some time getting used to from my D600 OVF (which I sold) but it is nice. Without a doubt the XT1 will offer better durability in extreme weather conditions as well as better viewfinder but you also have to consider it is a slightly bigger camera and different looking camera, not much smaller than your entry level DSLRs. The whole point for my purchase was to get something more portable than my former DSLR setup and the XE2 delivered. Be sure to handle both before purchase.

11. Usul

Usul No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If I were looking for an universal camera for traveling or everyday walking I would get X-E2 because of built-in flash. Yes I know that a flash goes with X-T1 but it's not the same. One needs to attach it before a shot or to remove before putting it in the bag. Many times I found than built-in flash is essential even if it's not as good as external unit.

12. CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I want to add to this, the built in flash on the XE2 was actually a pleasant surprise for me in that it actually articulates. You can bounce it off the ceiling or walls to dilute some of the harshness from using flash directly on the subject. For a built in flash it works better than the built in flash on my D600.