Full frame sensors are out of date? Okay...

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was having a conversation with someone on a YouTube video and some random person replies with this which makes no sense. Maybe it's a troll, I don't know.

having lived with MFT why on earth would you want to buy an out of date sensor size like Fx. It was the size of movie film stock pressed into service by Leica 100 years ago. Modern sensors were chosen for their suitability for the modern digital medium and modern crop sensors are fantastic. Fx is for long term photographers that are used to the lens angles of film, if you have never had that dont bother. Fx is already in decline and will be a niche market in a few years time - yes I know hobbyists will now jump on me and tell me why i am wrong - why would i care, I know I am right, I just look at the sales figures, DSLR is in terminal decline, nobody is buying one so why should you? If you want a bigger sensor get an APSc its designed for the digital age. Personally i would stay with what you have got and buy a better body and some good lenses.

No one is buying dslrs anymore? That's news to me. I see people buying dslrs a lot more than mirrorless. But I could be wrong, I live in a small state. When I was at Best Buy the other day, the mirrorless section was nearly empty while everyone was checking out DSLRs and point and shoots.

APS-C is designed for digital age? Umm any digital sensor whether 35mm, aps-c, 4/3, 1"..etc are designed for the "digital age".

Full frame sensors are out of date? What? Then why are they still improving them and making them low light monsters? I dare you, I double dare you compare a fx sensor to a MFT sensor in low light.

Sure smaller sensors are getting better, but a larger sensor will always be better. It's not always just the physical sensor. Software and processers are getting better too which has an impact on image quality.

DSLRS are in a terminal decline? Oh, yeah..I'm real worried.

Hey, I'm all for a good mirrorless vs dslr debate, but why bash full frame sensors and dslrs saying they are out of dste, especially Nikon's? Does this person not know that Sony makes a full frame mirrorless? Oh wait, it has a out of date full frame sensor and not a "digital age" APS-C sensor.

Last edited:
Kind of cute that he thinks the m4/3 size sensor is so awesome.

Four Thirds: 17.3mm x 13mm or 225 square millimeters

APS-C Nikon: 23.6mm x 15.7mm or 370 square millimeters.

FX: 36mm x 24mm or 864 square millimeters.

Yeah...a sensor 3.84 times smaller than FX is the bees knees.

Come on guys. It was put on the internet so it's true. Why even dispute this?

They're right 'ya know. Edwin Land will roll over in his grave if they ever came out with Mirrorless cameras with Full Frame sensors.

Will never happen. Who needs FF except for those situations where APC-S and smaller just doesn't do it ...

Here is a video made by DRTV discussing if MFT is dead and while they dont think so they admit its sales is not really going anywhere.
Full Frame sensor cameras are actually getting more and more popular, FF cameras are getting more and more affordable.
Sony A7RII is killing the market, Sony A7SII is an amazing video camera.
Nikon FX and Canon 5D and 6D is so visible now.

FF is dead, my god thats a joke, I would say its on a clime and MFT is on its way down

Here is a video made by DRTV discussing if MFT is dead and while they dont think so they admit its sales is not really going anywhere.
Full Frame sensor cameras are actually getting more and more popular, FF cameras are getting more and more affordable.
Sony A7RII is killing the market, Sony A7SII is an amazing video camera.
Nikon FX and Canon 5D and 6D is so visible now.

FF is dead, my god thats a joke, I would say its on a clime and MFT is on its way down

yeah but that's a youtube video NOT a Blog ON a youtube video !!
'ya gotta figure out what's reality versus nonsense.

Maybe post your question on a photography website.
Looks at sales of products and stuff like that.

Essentially you have someone that likes their 4/3rd camera and wish other people had them to so they could chat about their greatness. :)

MFT has its advantages, mainly the size of its lenses.
Sony a6000 is pretty much same size as MFT cameras but it has an APS-C sensor but the lenses size of MFT is smaller, price of course is low light performance.
To those who care more about portability vs sensor performance MFT is a great choice, nothing wrong with it but stating that FF is dead, a funny remark considering the MFT is closer to death (which it is not) then FF that actually grows in popularity.

The commenter strikes back!

CONCLUSIONS from Indusrty watchers: It’s interesting to see the changes in the industry. While overall sales numbers around the world show a sliding DSLR market and a mirrorless market holding steady, the sentiment that I see from passionate photographers is a strong trend toward mirrorless and specifically to Sony. Last couple of years DSLR sales have dropped from 1600 000 to 600 000. If you must have full frame I would buy a Sony A7, it will autofocus Canon lenses, Nikon lenses are incompatible with everybody.

The reason people arent buying DSLRs in general is because the lenses are big and heavy and I am sure I dont have to point out that Fx lenses are much more big and heavy than crop. Even Leica, notorious for demanding full frame sensors, has chosen APSc for its new T line of system cameras. I could point out in passing that the full frame mirrorless Leica SL is the fastest camera on the market and that technology will presumably cascade down, so Mirrorless has already overtaken DSLRs and will no doubt power onwards now. In principle they should be faster as they have no mirror. Its your choice but personally I would wait and see what appears this year, I think this is the year DSLRs suddenly look ancient, the new crop of mirrorless already look awesome and more are in the pipeline ;-)

Gosh, I love the comments people make on YouTube.

Mirrorless has already overtaken DSLRS! Ohhh nooooo....

So for the DSLR sales, I did a quick google search and this was the very first result and I am assuming the person took the info from this chart.

DSLR-vs-Mirrorless-Sales.jpg

So mirrorless has taken over? I still see DSLRS on top and mirrorless are at their lowest since Feb 2013. Okay, here is the thing. In the last few years DSLRS have gotten so much better than they ever have been. People are not needing to upgrade to newer camera. DSLRS they bought a few years ago are still just as good as newer cameras today. I mean heck, a lot of photographers are happily using a D700 and to be honest, the D700 still has better low light performance than most mirrorless cameras today.

Is this chart even accurate? I have no clue.

I think mirrorless cameras are fine, but there is a few things I just don't like about them. Poor battery life, poor ergonomics (not all) and less dedicated controls. Okay mirrorless cameras are smaller, yes..I agree. But their lenses are NOT THAT MUCH smaller than DSLR lenses. Also, if you put a heavier lens on a mirrorless, it just feels weird.

If FF is dead then why on EARTH would Pentax come out with a full frame dslr? They obviously see a market for it.

Okay guys, this is the year that the DSLR will official be an antique!

Even if mirrorless technology takes over, you will eventually see a rise of larger body mirrorless cameras because people want ergonomics and dedicated controls like a DSLR. I don't want to go through menus to do something that takes a half second to do on my DSLR. You know?

Here is what the same person had to say about Nikon's D750 recall that is getting upvoted. People must really dislike Nikon.

Face paws, forget the service problems their quality control has been shot to hell. This stuff is so last year and it isn't even reliable. I think there is a very rocky few years ahead for Nikon and its touch and go if they survive. If you don't innovate and test stuff thoroughly before sale then your business is finished. They have all the hallmarks of a company in deep trouble; no innovation, customers deserting for mirrorless systems, dreadful quality control, investors running scared and sales in free fall. Glad i have stuck with older Nikon when their name was a byeword for quality, this new stuff is junk.

So in a few years Nikon will be finished? Oh please. Stop it.

No innovation? What about the new DL cameras, D500, D5, etc..there is plenty of innovation in them. One thing about Nikon is that they are not afraid to try new things and if they make a mistake, they admit it and fix it. Just because there happened to be a manufacturer error with a certain batch at a certain plant doesn't mean the company is in deep trouble. These things do happen, doesn't matter what brand.

Last edited:
I was having a conversation with someone on a YouTube video and some random person replies with this which makes no sense. Maybe it's a troll, I don't know.

having lived with MFT why on earth would you want to buy an out of date sensor size like Fx. It was the size of movie film stock pressed into service by Leica 100 years ago. Modern sensors were chosen for their suitability for the modern digital medium and modern crop sensors are fantastic. Fx is for long term photographers that are used to the lens angles of film, if you have never had that dont bother. Fx is already in decline and will be a niche market in a few years time - yes I know hobbyists will now jump on me and tell me why i am wrong - why would i care, I know I am right, I just look at the sales figures, DSLR is in terminal decline, nobody is buying one so why should you? If you want a bigger sensor get an APSc its designed for the digital age. Personally i would stay with what you have got and buy a better body and some good lenses.

No one is buying dslrs anymore? That's news to me. I see people buying dslrs a lot more than mirrorless. But I could be wrong, I live in a small state. When I was at Best Buy the other day, the mirrorless section was nearly empty while everyone was checking out DSLRs and point and shoots.

APS-C is designed for digital age? Umm any digital sensor whether 35mm, aps-c, 4/3, 1"..etc are designed for the "digital age".

Full frame sensors are out of date? What? Then why are they still improving them and making them low light monsters? I dare you, I double dare you compare a fx sensor to a MFT sensor in low light.

Sure smaller sensors are getting better, but a larger sensor will always be better. It's not always just the physical sensor. Software and processers are getting better too which has an impact on image quality.

DSLRS are in a terminal decline? Oh, yeah..I'm real worried.

Hey, I'm all for a good mirrorless vs dslr debate, but why bash full frame sensors and dslrs saying they are out of dste, especially Nikon's? Does this person not know that Sony makes a full frame mirrorless? Oh wait, it has a out of date full frame sensor and not a "digital age" APS-C sensor.
albert-einstein-quotes-sayings-wise-stupidity-genius.jpg

Sorry, what ? I stopped paying attention after reading "MFT".

The problem with that chart is it shows cameras shipped.
What it doesn't show is that all those DSLRs shipped are actually sitting in the back rooms of all the Bestbuys while the mirrorless cameras are all sold.
Each and every one of them.
Except the ones that aren't.

:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back