Full Frame?

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was discussing what I think is referred to as the "full frame" technique which has been so popular recently (it seems). I may not be using the correct terminology but what it is is printing so that you see beyond the edge of the exposure. I saw some prints that showed the edge of a 4x5 film holder and you could see the v-notches and such.

I was told that it was a "contract" print but it was bigger than 4x5. I'm sure there's a simple explanation but the print was larger than 4 x 5 at least 8 X 10.

I'm wondering, if it was a contact print, would it not have been only as big as the 4 x 5 negative? How did they enlarge it?

I'm not going to be working with 4 x 5 any time soon but I'm thinking about using glass to hold my 120 negatives because I only have one negative holder for my enlarger and it pretty much covers the edges of the neg. The problem then will be preventing light from escaping from the enlarger (above the lens).

Was what you saw digitized? If so that would explain it.

Typically a "contact print" is one where the neg or positive transparency is laid directly on the paper stalk and exposed to light. The two are in contact with each other hence the name.

Others will know more.

Hmm, I'm stumped then. But it's pretty easy to stump me too so that doesn't mean much.

I saw some prints that showed the edge of a 4x5 film holder and you could see the v-notches and such.

I was told that it was a "contract" print but it was bigger than 4x5. I'm sure there's a simple explanation but the print was larger than 4 x 5 at least 8 X 10.

Maybe it was a contact print from a 5x7 or 8x10 camera? Large format cameras have come in a variety of sizes over the years.

It's pretty easy to print the entire frame from roll film. The hole in the neg carrier can be enlarged by filing, or what I'd do was make a new neg carrier with a larger than normal opening out of black mat board. To enlarge an entire sheet of film a neg carrier with glass would be necessary. They are available for most enlargers.

what your referring too is the rebate of the film. perhaps it was a piece of 8x10 film which would have the film notches as does 4xd5 film.

if you want to make a print from a negative from 120 film or that matter any film type that is enlarged, you just need a filed out negative carrier as was suggested before.

making a contact sheet of the whole roll is just that, placing the film in strips on a piece of paper under glass and exposing . then develop etc as one would a print.

there are also glass negative carriers, just check to see if there is one for your enlarger type.

OK, thanks everybody. Yeah, I'll have to work on the glass negative holder idea.

Oh, one more thing. Can anyone recommend a website or a photographer who has prints that show the film holder around the edge.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm seeing are the flanges or whatever of a film holder, the metal or plastic part that wraps around the actual film when it is exposed during the shot.

During lunch, I'm going to walk by the office of one such photograph, ask them the name of the photographer and see if I'm "getting it" as far as this technique goes. True, I'm not working in 4 x 5 or any sort of large format right now...but just in case I find myself with a ton of time and money on my hands...or who knows, maybe I'll get some other new job that will allow me to work in this format.

Like others have said, full frame is accomplished by filing out the neg carrier so the whole neg is printed. This is actually old school stuff back when photograhers took pride in not having to manipulate their photograhs, i.e. They didn't have to crop the image in the enlarger. By printing a negative full frame, it was their way of saying, 'I know what I'm doing'.

Like others have said, full frame is accomplished by filing out the neg carrier so the whole neg is printed. This is actually old school stuff back when photograhers took pride in not having to manipulate their photograhs, i.e. They didn't have to crop the image in the enlarger. By printing a negative full frame, it was their way of saying, 'I know what I'm doing'.

Or it was a student saying "my teacher is forcing me to print it this way so they can see what I can do without post processing!" lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back