Full Moon (60s at 56k)

PrimaryCanary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted in this section, but I just got done a batch of moon pictures, and honestly, I'm quite proud of them (feel free to burst my bubble).

One thing I did learn, using the mirror lockup is quite helpful :D
Unfortunately, the crescent shots didn't come out as good.

full_22_p465.jpeg

Mr. Pet is bigtime into astronomy. I know how hard those shots are! Great One. Did you hook up to a scope for that?

Nope, just my 75-300mm zoomed out to 300mm, then I just created a blank 1152x864 image in photoshop, copied the full frame into the new image and moved it around until the moon was visible. Then I just sharpened it a bit.

Envy! Envy! Envy!

I tried to get my first "good" moon photo on the 25th at last, and again it didn't come out good. I tried so many times, all sorts of settings, and no structure, no craters, no details to be seen in mine :(. Plus at 300mm it still is just a spot in the big picture... What do you differently? I even tried myself at only 1/125, thinking that that must bring about the details at last (and it wasn't even a black sky but still a light-blue sky) and - no :(. Hmph. I'm soooo frustrated. :(

LaFoto,

I did a little research on the net before I got this picture. It is said that you can use the sunny 16 rule when shooting the moon, even though it is so far away, also, too long of a shutter speed will make the earth's rotation noticeable.

For this shot, I took my handy dandy tripod, tied some old fishing weights too it, put my 20D on manual and exposure bracketing (first +/- 1 stop, then +/- 2 stops) and zoomed all the way in. I started with a base exposure of 1/125th second at f/16 and then found the equivalent at f/32. I had the ISO set to 100. Then I offered a piece of gum to the photo gods.

it's great, I've tried to get moon shots and they stink *blames it on camera*

I forgot the OFFERING of gum to the gods!!!! :shock:
Now I know why it has never worked out so far! ;)
Thanks for the hint, Canary.

Most reactions

Back