Full moon

lesno1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_4704_edited.jpg

Interesting shot but you might have overdone it a bit with the processing. How did you take it if you don’t mind my asking?

Interesting shot but you might have overdone it a bit with the processing. How did you take it if you don’t mind my asking?
Hi it was handheld ISO 100.. F/8... 1/200 SEC it was a bit soft so i put it through Topaz sharpen might have overcooked it a little

You’re right. Maybe try again because it looks as though it would be a pretty nice shot.

Nice shot! You have some very steady hands to do that at ISO 100, F/8, and 1/200.
I dare to say that in theory you should rather open your glass because you want a speed and to catch the most available light .. DoF is not an issue with this kind of shot so f8 won't help to the shot, it will make a disservice instead ...

also AF will be likely very inaccurate (unless you have some very looong glass) so usual workflow is to do a several shots with manual focus to put your focus where you want it to be or just calibrate your focus on some other distant object .. I don't know how long your glass is but for example this my photo [No title] was taken with just 200mm lens on manual focus and it's heavy crop (because 200mm is not exactly best lens to photograph distant objects) .. your photo looks like out of focus, that's why I mentioned that (or perhaps it's just some heavy crop)

I have never seen a shot of the moon look like that. I recommend using a tripod or stabilize your camera better and maybe try the "Looney 11 rule."

I have never seen a shot of the moon look like that. I recommend using a tripod or stabilize your camera better and maybe try the "Looney 11 rule."
Had a lot of practice shooting the moon, have you? This is great information. Duly noted.

Had a lot of practice shooting the moon, have you? This is great information. Duly noted.
This is interesting ... why f11 o_O .. seems that it's because the "sweet spot" of the lens (presumably f11) will bring the sharpest results .. other articles rather indicate to open wide, eg see here How to Photograph the Moon and the Supermoon - The Complete Guide

personally I open wide because my lens are supersharp even at f4 so basically I shoot at f5.6 .. f11 doesn't sound right to me .. can pls somebody explain why f11 when trying to have a detail like that ??? f11 makes no sense, it's less light and usual lens have a sweetspot f5.6-9, DoF is not problem here ...

article claiming that f11 is the only right aperture without elaborating further seems as crap to me ... there is IMO no usuable information .. I'd say instead know your gear and grab max open AP that gives sharp results, don't use AF, use two methodes outlined above, use tripod and you can eventually use some weak ND (ND8) to get nicely pronounced drawing

This is interesting ... why f11 o_O .. seems that it's because the "sweet spot" of the lens (presumably f11) will bring the sharpest results .. other articles rather indicate to open wide, eg see here How to Photograph the Moon and the Supermoon - The Complete Guide

personally I open wide because my lens are supersharp even at f4 so basically I shoot at f5.6 .. f11 doesn't sound right to me .. can pls somebody explain why f11 when trying to have a detail like that ??? f11 makes no sense, it's less light and usual lens have a sweetspot f5.6-9, DoF is not problem here ...

article claiming that f11 is the only right aperture without elaborating further seems as crap to me ... there is IMO no usuable information .. I'd say instead know your gear and grab max open AP that gives sharp results, don't use AF, use two methodes outlined above, use tripod and you can eventually use some weak ND (ND8) to get nicely pronounced drawing
Don't worry, it's mostly for beginners that need something to start with, you can always adjust to your liking later. If I recall, I shoot it at f/8 and 1/125 sec. and I've taken some good shots at f/11 as well with adjusted s.s.

Reactions: ntz

Most reactions

Back