FullFrame Sensor in D7000 body?

cgipson1 said:
Oh.. no R&D needed huh.. just throw a FF sensor in? Not likely! :) Although if you can talk them into doing that, I'll go for it!

I wouldnt. A camera with no r&d? I think I'd stick with my d80!

cgipson1 said:
Oh.. no R&D needed huh.. just throw a FF sensor in? Not likely! :) Although if you can talk them into doing that, I'll go for it!

I wouldnt. A camera with no r&d? I think I'd stick with my d80!

hahaha.. I guess my sarcasm didn't make it across! :)

Who is to say that the R&D have not already been done?

We are not talking about new technology, only putting the pieces together in a (probably redesigned) D7000 body.

We are not talking about new technology, only putting the pieces together in a (probably redesigned) D7000 body.

Why would Nikon do this.. when it would basically kill a lot of D300/400 and D700/d800 sales? If it happens, I would be really surprised.... :)

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Nikon to offer somethingnew and FF too, the "Nikon 1" is.... well never mind
bigthumb.gif

An FX sensor is a a D7000 body???? Nikon calls that the Nikon D700.

RRRoger said:
If the D800 can do everything I want, I will not wait around for the unlikely release of a D7000fx.

Me too. However, your spec is really like what we've been expecting at d800 (except type of memory card and maybe price)

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Why would Nikon do this.. when it would basically kill a lot of D300/400 and D700/d800 sales? If it happens, I would be really surprised.... :)

They already killed most D3 sales with the D700,
plus most D90 and D300 sales with the D7000.
So why not kill the D700 sales with a D7000x?

I am sure the D800 and D4 will each be in a different class.

Nikon will never put an Fx sensor in anything less than Pro or Semi-Pro. The D700/D3 is their "pro" bread and butter. i believe they expect to lose some sales of their flagship DSLR with a smaller semi-pro Fx camera like the D700. the market for a D700/D3 is much smaller and more tailored to wedding photographers and such (or "rich" consumers).

they make most of their money on selling their consumer cameras at walmart, best buy, etc.

The D7000 is a GREAT camera, but it's interesting that it exists. most consumers will not need it or appreciate it. most Pros will go for Fx. i am getting rid of my D7000 in favor of the D300s simply because of the build. i shoot a D700. switching back and forth in a shoot is too confusing at times. the D300s has the same layout.

putting an Fx sensor in a consumer camera will make no sense and will certainly not boost lens sales as the average person will not buy a 24-70 and/or 70-200.

Dx is where the money is at...especially lenses.

just because the D7000, on paper, is "better" does not mean that people will buy it. i love the D7000 for family snapshots. but, throw a 70-200 VR on a D7000 body and it gets nose heavy real fast. it feels just so wrong...not to mention the wrist pain!

don't underestimate the power/need for a larger and heavier body that balances pro glass. to me, with big glass mounted, i would rather shoot with a D200 than a D7000 for an 8 hour wedding.

Nikon will never put an Fx sensor in anything less than Pro or Semi-Pro. The D700/D3 is their "pro" bread and butter. i believe they expect to lose some sales of their flagship DSLR with a smaller semi-pro Fx camera like the D700. the market for a D700/D3 is much smaller and more tailored to wedding photographers and such (or "rich" consumers).

they make most of their money on selling their consumer cameras at walmart, best buy, etc.

The D7000 is a GREAT camera, but it's interesting that it exists. most consumers will not need it or appreciate it. most Pros will go for Fx. i am getting rid of my D7000 in favor of the D300s simply because of the build. i shoot a D700. switching back and forth in a shoot is too confusing at times. the D300s has the same layout.

putting an Fx sensor in a consumer camera will make no sense and will certainly not boost lens sales as the average person will not buy a 24-70 and/or 70-200.

Dx is where the money is at...especially lenses.

just because the D7000, on paper, is "better" does not mean that people will buy it. i love the D7000 for family snapshots. but, throw a 70-200 VR on a D7000 body and it gets nose heavy real fast. it feels just so wrong...not to mention the wrist pain!

don't underestimate the power/need for a larger and heavier body that balances pro glass. to me, with big glass mounted, i would rather shoot with a D200 than a D7000 for an 8 hour wedding.

I'm finding these comments interesting. I'm the average consumer, not rich, plus a photo student who only looks to this as a hobby. I bought a D7000 but will have a FX when the next gen comes out, and I also happen to have bought both lens you mention an average person won't buy (24-70, 70-200).

...... as the average person will not buy a 24-70 and/or 70-200..
My mother kept telling me all these years that I was above average. Hmmm, I guess she was right after all. In fact, she thought I was so bright that she called me sun.

Yea, the implication seems to be only the pro's and the wealthy buy the top shelf stuff Nikon offers.

I don't think the D800 will have any new sensors, basically it will just take the D3s sensor like how D700 had the D3 sensor.

Most reactions

Back