Funny BestBuy camera-buying story

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by maineiac, Oct 23, 2009.

1. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Apparently, because I have had salespeople say "I'm not sure, hang on let me find out for you."

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was in a Wolf's one afternoon, (wrong, but it was handy) and asked the salesperson about the basic diffences between a canon g9 and the nikon version(don't remember the code number) and she wasn't sure.

3. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    And knowing how each and every product in a retail store works isn't what I consider "the basics". I would expect that going into a specialized camera shop, but not in a retail store. As I said, do you ask a grocery store clerk about nutrition? No, they are there to keep the shelves stocked and the folks at the registers are there to ring you up.

So you created a scene and berated some kid just trying to get through his day making peanuts because of the way the big money management in another city thousands of miles away wants their employees trained and what knowledge they expect?

My wife told me last night about her screaming disrespecting customer who stood and yelled at her. A lady parked in front of the door blocking the entrance way with a truck and trailer full of building materials and expected my wife to return them. Policy is, my wife is not allowed to return anything unless they bring it into the store. Lowes has loaders for that, of which none would respond to the call. So, the rude customer took it out on my wife yelling and screaming in front of the store like an idiot while my wife continued to ring other customers through because she is not allowed to leave her work area to help the lady out anyways. Another customer had loaded his stuff up and was blocked in by the idiot lady. So, he came into the store to tell her to basically GTF out of the way and she proceeded to scream at him.

If it was me blocked in and she acted like that, her truck would have moved out of the way whether she got in to move it or my vehicle moved it. My wife just continued doing her job and watched the scene of the idiot lady finding it quite comical.

When snobby idiots go into a retail store thinking that everyone should bow down at their feet, think about what that person is there to do and what they are capable of doing for their piss-ant wages. They are not there to grovel to your high majestic mightiness, but simply to do a job that their employers expect and if their employers don't train them properly or let them control something, then it is not the poor sole on the store floor's fault and they don't deserve to be berated like that.

4. Foques

Foques TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    mrodgers, Geeksquad is not a low paid job (retail wise), the guy had a badge (which means he is making at least 18$/hr).

I despise people who do not care to learn basic things. i don't give a hoo what you're making, if you're selling something to me as your job, learn at least basics.

I'm not expecting sales people to tell me the wattage and number of the cables in the box, i don't expect them to know the noise level of a device. I expect them to know what I am talking about.

You wouldn't go to a camera repair place and expect them to ask what is that reflective mirror thingie in your camera, would you?

5. lovinphotos

lovinphotos TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, how it must be nice to have a local camera shop.

6. icassell

icassell No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm ... If I turn the little knob thingy on the top of my 7D to "Tv", how many channels can I get?

7. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh it is... I found out last weekend that I was around the corner from Calumet, they even have a rental studio.

On Topic: I fully expect someone working in a specialized department to know what they are talking about. If you stand around in the camera section for hours everyday, pick one of the damn displays models up when you aren't busy and learn a little about it. Know what's on your shelves and where to look to find information you may not know off the top of your head.

If you work the register, I only expect you to know how to ring me up, if you work in lumber, I expect you to know a bit about the wood types, treatments, etc.

8. mtaylor

mtaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, the guy probably wants to sell you the warranty. They make commision on them, at least in Canada.

9. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

10. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had varying degrees of success with salespeople. I did a test many years ago...

Prior to Apple owning the MP3 scene, I went to a chain store like best buy (called Futureshop) and asked about a specific MP3 player and if it was compatible with WinXP. On the side of the box, it stopped at Win 2000. He said yes. I bought it, brought it home and it didn't work.

Upon googling, I found it was not compatible.

I then called 8 different stores and asked the same question over the phone, pretending I didn't know the answer.
    Out of the 8, 1 person told me they didn't know and went to check and gave me the right answer.
    1 person said they didn't know and went to get help who said it was compatible.
    The other 6 all said yes without hesitation.

I then called their customer service.

11. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would have told you to make your own by reversing the wires in a cable. Naah... I would have sold you one for fifty bucks.

12. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit