Funny Comments you get when you have your "big" camera

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It will be fun to hear everyones stories :)

This is the best comment I've ever gotten. It was 4th of july and I was on the Pier with my gf waiting for the fireworks. I had my rebel xt w/ grip and 70-200 f4 L mounted on a tripod. This girl maybe around 20 walks up to me

her - I have a quick question to ask if you don't mind (I smile) When I shoot the fireworks (holds up tiny point n shoot) should I be using flash?

me - nope it won't do anything

her - You sure?

me - Yes, that flash could never reach that far and anyways if it could the fireworks are muuuuuch brighter than your flash could ever be.

her - You sure? They're not going to come out blurry?

me - nope. ( I didn't feel like trying to explain to her they would be blurry because of the long shutter speeds that would be used)

her - Are you a professional?

me - No, I'm only 17

her - Oh......... (walks away)

I got a bunch of looks too when I did my fireworks at the beach, no one came up to me to ask questions though.

the funny thing ive noticed is if i have the 50mm lens on my XT, the only thing people ask is, "is that film or digital?"

but....

if i have the 70-300mm lens on my camera, people always ask "what kind of video camera is that?"

i was walking around with my camera on my tripod today (was shooting IR) and all of a sudden everybody thought i was filming for the news. Kids drawing attention all of a sudden, people honking their horns.....weird.

Yeah I got looks also when I went downtown to take photos (i forgot to set the correct settings so they didnt come out) but some kid started saying some stupid things about me, gave him a smack in the mouth :D

the funny thing ive noticed is if i have the 50mm lens on my XT, the only thing people ask is, "is that film or digital?"

Whenever I'm shooting my digital I get the "WOW That thing is digital?!?!?" when I go to show someone the pic I just took of them.

however......

When I'm shooting film people are amazed It's not digital and try to tell me how I should look into digital.

When I'm shooting film people are amazed It's not digital and try to tell me how I should look into digital.
I was shooting with my yaschica down by Lake Michigan a few months ago when a kid came up to me...

"are you from the newspaper?"

no one yet has asked me about shooting film. maybe i should start carrying a roll in each hand to spark conversation and debate

I was in the park shooting a young red tailed hawk with my DSLR and a 400mm f/3.5. This fella about 50 walks quickly, almost running up to Cathy and I and asks "Is that a Cannon?". No, just my heavy artillery. (I shoot Nikon)

I don't get any comments about the camera. Seems like allot of people are carrying SLR's lately.
However when I have the camera on the tripod, people take it as a invitation to come up and chat.

I was on a nature reserve shooting some pics next to a guy with a point and shoot... i saw a pelican come out from the trees and onto the lake.

i started taking pictures... so did he, then he looks at his LCD... turns to me and says..
"your wasting your time mate... too far away" and turn his camera round showing me the little speck of a bird on the photo he just took

i said "mines looking fine!" then turned my camera round to the full screen full detail version on my photo

i wont repeat what he said, but it began with "F" :D

i was using the 300mm.... i think he was impressed LOL

i need to get a better zoom lens... everyones got those dang white canon monsters lately.... too bad i shoot sony

I'm an instant pro when I shoot 4x5 in public. I regularly get comments about my MF, too.

her - "That's a big camera"
me - "Yep"

Story over LOL. If they are worth chatting up or it is someone with something more interesting to say then "that's a big camera" then the conversation will be much longer and may go somewhere. But it's surprising the number of people who walk past and just need to point out the most obvious thing that everyone in the vicinity can already see. I have a big camera, get over it folks!

There's also been some dirtier comments when using a telephoto lens like (minors skip over the next 2 lines):
her - "Does it get bigger"
me - "if it did you wouldn't be able to handle it"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back