funny shadow

archer379

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok before you ask i am away and can't upload any pictures right now sorry but this is buging me. i have a nikon d80 and a 18 - 200 lens. the other day the wife was snaping a couple of pics of some fish i caught later when i looked at them there is a shadow on the bottom of the picture just in the center. i snaped a couple and it apears that the shadow only apears when on the wides setting and when the on board flash fires i thought maybe it was the lens hood it didn't apear to change anyone have any ideas

here is a example of the shadow you can see it bottom center at the edge. this was taken with the on board flash camra on auto i only get this with the flash and no hood

It's a shadow from the lens. The line of sight from the flash to that shadow is through the end of the lens. Picture this: If you were to stretch a string from the flash to the shadow, the string would would be interfered with by the lens.

You need to get your flash off camera, or find a way to bounce it off the ceiling or something like that. Maybe one of the on board flash diffusers that are out there on the market can help with it.

Most reactions

Back