future lens

panthera_nl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I've just become a member and have a question about a lens i want to purchase in
the near future for my Nikon D90 + 18-200 AF-S DX VR II .....

I am mainly interested in taking pictures of nature,wildlife and / or birds
(I know that for bird photography you really need a 500mm lens, but
unfortunately my wallet
doesnt allow that sort of lens,thus i nee some advice and need
to know if anyone has experience with the

following 3 lenses ...

1.80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 AF VR Zoom-Nikkor
2.Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm 4.5-5.6 G ED DX VR

3.Nikkor AF-S 300m f/4.0 D IF-ED
[h=2][/h](P.S Also info about Tamron or Sigma lenses are very welcome)

The difference of course is the range and extent of the price and some other things.

Also I am only a novice so when it comes to it,i will have
a lot of fun with the lens I have now, but after speaking to
different people whom are mainly into
bird photography i've
found out several things of interest.

So at the end of the day i will come to a point that i wont be able to take the
pictures i really want to take with the lens ive got now and therefore i will have to
posses a better lens for me to take the photography one step further.

Ive already had different oppinions about the lenses im stating here on Dutch Photography
forums,also about the same lens some of em say its good others say its not,so i thought

lets broaden the search and aquire some more advice overseas.

Like i said first i will go out and enjoy what ive got doing up experience in practive
before even contemplating buying another lens but its always good to find out
more,so hope fully someone can give me some good information and more.

Thanks already and to all ,lots of fun taking picture!

Wanja

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I have to say that the difference between 200 and 300 is very small however I think the 70-300 VR is worth the price and thats why I actually own one.

From your choices above I can say the following:

1.80-400 VR - nice lens but personally I found it expensive and a little slow over the 70-300 VR
2.55-300 VR - not a bad lens for the price but then again the 70-300 is more superior and can be used on FX bodies if you want to upgrade
3.300mm f4 - beautiful lens, however i would much rather get a 70-200 VR and ad a 1.4 TC to it to reach that 300mm range. (personally I see more utility in a 70-200 vs a fixed 300 f4 lens)

Depending on what you're looking to shoot, a telephoto to 300mm should work fine due to the crop body which you're using.
If I had the cash I would buy a 70-200 VR I or II and use a teleconverter x1.4, x1.7 or x2 to get that longer reach. This way you will have a pro lens which can be used in many circumstances providing really good quality and not break the bank too bad.

Just thought of a relatively inexpensive super telephoto zoom lens for you.. Sigma 150-500 :)

I've never used it but it seems OK for the most part if the light is in your favor.

I prefer the Nikkor 28-300 over all of the above.
Take your camera to the store, and try them all.
When you get home, zoom in and compare the pictures.

True on the 28-300... the versatility is there however it wont be much more different from the 18-200 which he already owns in terms of zoom... i think for wildlife the 150-500 is a great lens as long as there is enough light and the photographer doesn't have to track a bird at 500mm on a DX body lol...

Well I went to a store and put a Sigma 150-500 on a D90 and sadly I'm quite disappointed. Either the copy of the lens was bad or it had some issues getting a clear focus. Nice lens for the price 1299(here in Canada) but not sure its worth it due to the AF issue. Again maybe it was a bad copy.

Well I went to a store and put a Sigma 150-500 on a D90 and sadly I'm quite disappointed. Either the copy of the lens was bad or it had some issues getting a clear focus. Nice lens for the price 1299(here in Canada) but not sure its worth it due to the AF issue. Again maybe it was a bad copy.

I don't know haw many bad copies there are or if it has something to do with the Nikon lens mount.
My 150-500 worked marvels on the 5D2 even with a teleconverter at 500mm, so when I got rid of that outfit I bought one for my D7000.
I too was very disappointed. It did not work well on my D3 either.
The new 50-500 is supposed to be a lot better and should for the price.

Have you tried the 80-400 and 28-300 Nikkors?

Last edited:
The 28-300 is a sweet lens.. excellent sharpness, and focuses very well and fast. Highly recommend it!

Go for the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR!!!
You can't lose!!! Refurbished at the Nikon Store for $399.99!!!

Most reactions

Back