Future of DLSRs??

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What changes do you think will come to digital slrs in the next 5 years? Which technologies will become standard on all digital slrs? What features would you like to see? How will pro digital slrs surpass pro 35mm slrs in terms of features?

How will pro digital slrs surpass pro 35mm slrs in terms of features?

I do believe they already have.

And as for whats to come... No one knows really. Who would have guessed the features on the D3 5 years ago? Or i saw a post several years back when someone was guessing that we would be up to 50MP in 2008.

Soo, I think ill leave it to the professionals. :)

Heck I don't know jack - maybe built in bluetooth or WiFi, adoption of LMOS sensors, HDR enabled sensors, incredible frame rates and affordable huge solid state storage? :drool:

-Shea

I'd like wireless transfer to be standard.

I'd also like a smart Auto ISO that can sense what focal length is being used and adjust accordingly.

Thanks all I can think of for now.

Wireless transfer would be nice to have standard, but I hope the thing they focus on the most is expanding the dynamic range of the sensors.

Things I'd like to see and that I think only make sense to add (eventually) in no particular order ...

(a) More pixels (duh).

(b) Less noise per pixel.

(c) Better quantum efficiency.

(d) Larger, 32-bit, dynamic range options.

(e) Faster and longer duration fps, which will be a consequence of a larger on-camera memory buffer, faster processors, and faster memory (the faster memory already exists, but the camera components can't keep up).

(f) Better build construction even at the lower end.

(g) Full-frame sensors at the low-end.

(h) Introduction of (cheaper) medium-format-like digital cameras, though this may be a non-issue as the pixel number increases and noise decreases.

(i) Better battery technology for longer life and less of a capacity problem at cold temperatures.

Surprised you didn't mention the ability to take extended exposures (beyond an hour) without either the sensor or the photo going totally crap.

/Edited for political correctness.

The 35mm format DSLR will be limited by the lens technology we have. The very best glass that can be mass produced will not resolve much past 22-25 M.P. Maybe 30 tops. I look for higher ISO at lower noise. Any thing past 10 FPS I feel is a waist. Maybe faster update on live view. But the fact is the D3 does more than I would in practice use. Wireless is already practical and being built-in would be good. The fact of the matter is, I don't look for much more in a D4 than what the D3 has but more resolution. And about 1,000,000 noiseless ISO would be cool to. The fact is what my eye sees is one thing. What the camera can record at 6400 at f/2 is so much brighter, it's unreal. It will be hard to improve on except resolution. I do think a lot of the high end technology will filter down to the consumer and pro-sumer market, everyone will benefit in the long run.

i dont get why people want more FPS than like 10 in a camera. Does it not get to a point where your simply holding a video camera, if it shoots at like 50fps.

I want it to get to a point where the ISO is so high you can shoot handheld in almost every situation with no noise, that would make me happy :)

Built-in GPS could be useful - exact location becoming embedded into the EXIF. No more forgetting where you took the shot.

Some features are nice, some are useless... but all in all I do not care about most features, not even sensor cleaning.

Image quality comes first for me, hence more dynamic range for the sensors please, less noise at high ISO, better algorithms for interpolating colours on BAYER-pattern sensors please.

Anything from 3 fps is enough (for me), a bit more weather protection would be nice, long lasting batteries.

All else belongs to toys'r'us IMHO ;)

What changes do you think will come to digital slrs in the next 5 years? Which technologies will become standard on all digital slrs? What features would you like to see? How will pro digital slrs surpass pro 35mm slrs in terms of features?

It seems like there are a few things that get introduced as a sort of gimick on an otherwise run of the mill dSLR, and eventually becomes an industry standard. When I was considering my first dSLR, I remember seeing a few features like anti-dust and optical stabilization that peaked my interest in the off-brand dSLR's.

Features that are bound to become industry standards (atleast start showing up on the consumer model Nikons and Canons):

-Anti-dust sensors
-In camera optical stabilization
-Full frame sensors

Some things I think get omitted by manufacturers (like weather sealing, magnesium bodies, etc.) to maintain sales of their higher end models.

I also think the Megapixel race is slowing down, and companies will start focusing on different areas. For example, Nikon's new high ISO's. I'm sure the next five to ten years will yield some interesting technology.

The 35mm format DSLR will be limited by the lens technology we have. The very best glass that can be mass produced will not resolve much past 22-25 M.P. Maybe 30 tops.

Well said! :thumbup:

Id like to see the full 10 stops of latitude between shadows and highlights that film has, correct me if im wrong but dont dslr's still only have 5 stops?

Most reactions

Back