Future of DX and Buying Lenses

....However, when you attach a DX lens to a FX body it gets recognized as a DX lens and the camera should switch into DX mode (crop mode). ......

If you set the camera up to do that. This is the factory default mode, but you can choose to manually shoot in DX or FX format regardless of what lens is on the camera.

Yes, but by reducing the resolution of the camera dramatically, by only using the center of the sensor. So they work, but not well. JD

So what's the difference between shooting with a D600 in DX mode, and shooting with, say, a D90 or D5x00?

Given that most(80%+, according to Thom Hogan)of the DSLRs Nikon sells are DX, I'm thinking that Nikon APS-C sensor cameras will be around for a few more weeks.

With the D90, D7000 and new 24mp D7100 on the shelves, do you seriously think Nikon(or off-brand lens makers)will abandon the format? Think there's lots of life left in the APS-C sensor.

Yes but I am guessing that atleast 75% of that 80% is not the D200/D300/D300s but rather D90/D3x00/D5x00. I don't have any proof of this but that's just my thinking. What I am trying to say is going forward, it is harder for Nikon to create a market for a pro DX body. You have to understand that people reading these forums are not the majority of people buying Nikon DSLRs. A lot of us here might want a pro DX body but for people who wants to spend $800 for a DSLR because they believe they can create better pictures.....they are probably the majority and probably will not payd close to $2,000 for a pro DX body. And the "pros" will thinking...what the heck...let's go for that $2,000 FX instead of the $1,800 DX.

Ok I will take your work on this, I read that if you mount DX lens on FX body you are going to get dark ends.

Yes, but by reducing the resolution of the camera dramatically, by only using the center of the sensor. So they work, but not well. JD

DX lenses will work just fine on an FX body.

Ok I will take your work on this, I read that if you mount DX lens on FX body you are going to get dark ends.

That is correct.. 'Most' DX lenses will give you that affect..
00Tvbq-154333684.jpg

However, when you attach a DX lens to a FX body it gets recognized as a DX lens and the camera should switch into DX mode (crop mode). For example, The 24mp D600 turns into 10mp in DX mode.

*EDIT*
However, the D800 in DX mode has almost the exact pixel density as the D7000 (16mp).. Thats why i think DX is dead. The mythical 'D400' isn't going to be a DX body.... its going to be a D800 with a faster frame rate :)
So from both these replies it looks like I was right.

You really cant use DX lenses on FX body.
When I say this I mean you cant use DX lens on FX body and expect same results you would get from FX lens.

The D600 is supposed to be compatible with DX lenses.So if you twist on a DX lens you get what looks like Vignette?

The D600 is supposed to be compatible with DX lenses.So if you twist on a DX lens you get what looks like Vignette?

ALL FX bodies will work with DX lenses. Click here for an explanation.

Thank you 480sparky.

And all FX lenses will work on DX bodies... which personally I find to be a much better way to go! But I don't have any DX lenses anymore....

And all FX lenses will work on DX bodies... which personally I find to be a much better way to go! But I don't have any DX lenses anymore....

Wait...... DX lenses work on FX bodies,..................

and..............

FX lenses work on DX bodies....................

and............

FX lenses work on FX bodies.................................

and.........................

DX lenses work on DX bodies.........................

_explosion__by_Caeser1993.gif

Holly Cow,what a difference looking at the FX sensor size in body compared to DX sensor. Rottweiler vs poodle.:lol:

A 35mm 1.8 dx lens isn't half bad on a d800 in 1.2 crop mod. And even in FF doesn't fully black out, only darken corners, that can almost be brought back totally in post. So there are a few tiny, cheap, lightweight lenses that will work on fx. Even though designed for dx. Another is a tokina 11-16. It turns into a 16mm prime basically on fx but actually works pretty good

....However, when you attach a DX lens to a FX body it gets recognized as a DX lens and the camera should switch into DX mode (crop mode). ......

If you set the camera up to do that. This is the factory default mode, but you can choose to manually shoot in DX or FX format regardless of what lens is on the camera.

Geez I haven't checked in here in a long while - got here today via a Google search on an entirely different topic and thought I should take a look.

The default auto mode actually restricts the pixels used by the FX sensor to a few as 6MP depending on the FX camera. Turning this off produces a vignetted image but you can crop away the vignetting and still be left with a lot more quality pixels than many DX cameras will produce. I do this all the time with a 10.5mm DX fisheye on a D800 and a D700 because I don't have a FX fisheye and the results exceed what I can do with the same lens on a D300s for the simple reason that both those cameras, overall, produce better quality images than the 300s particularly at high ISO.

But I won't be getting rid of my 300s because there is no other camera I would take on an overseas holiday. Coupled with the 18-200mm DX zoom it is just about all you need. I think DX will hang around for a long time yet but I don't know if a D400 will ever appear. There is very little demand in pro ranks these days for DX cameras and that trend was cemented in place by the D700 as the first affordable FX with true high ISO capability. Nikon, I believe, will still make more DX cameras but they will be a progression of the current 3000, 5000 and 7000 ranges without things like CF card capability, sync sockets, more plastic less metal, small, light weight, more video capability etc.

Given that most(80%+, according to Thom Hogan)of the DSLRs Nikon sells are DX, I'm thinking that Nikon APS-C sensor cameras will be around for a few more weeks.

With the D90, D7000 and new 24mp D7100 on the shelves, do you seriously think Nikon(or off-brand lens makers)will abandon the format? Think there's lots of life left in the APS-C sensor.

Yes but I am guessing that atleast 75% of that 80% is not the D200/D300/D300s but rather D90/D3x00/D5x00. I don't have any proof of this but that's just my thinking. What I am trying to say is going forward, it is harder for Nikon to create a market for a pro DX body. You have to understand that people reading these forums are not the majority of people buying Nikon DSLRs. A lot of us here might want a pro DX body but for people who wants to spend $800 for a DSLR because they believe they can create better pictures.....they are probably the majority and probably will not payd close to $2,000 for a pro DX body. And the "pros" will thinking...what the heck...let's go for that $2,000 FX instead of the $1,800 DX.

It just doesn't matter to Nikon. I doubt there will be a "D400" camera with the D7000+D7100 on the shelf that many regard as good enough for most types of shooting. Anyone after a deep buffer and vastly improved IQ switched to FX and paid way more than 2 grand. Rather than follow the rumor sites' fan boy blather about the "pro DX" mirage, I'd suggest that looking at what Nikon sells provides more clues about where Nikon will go.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back