Future of DX and Buying Lenses

Centropolis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to own a D80 with a few lenses. A few years ago, I sold them all as a package after coming back from a week in Paris and never took it out of my camera bag. I used my LX5 instead the whole trip. I then went into M4/3 with a couple of kit lens and a cheap Sigma prime on a GF2 and a E-PL2.

Last week, I started thinking about getting back into DSLR format and bought myself a used D300s because I didn't like the grip felt in my hand on the D7000/D7100. But now I am looking for lenses.

I've read a few articles on the topic "The Future of DX" and many people think that with the D600, there may not be a D300s replacement to come because the cost of a "D400" will be similar to the D600 and the general public will rather go with FX than DX. This got me thinking that I am going to avoid buying any DX lenses for the fear of having no newer body to put it on when I want to upgrade in 2 or 3 years. The D300s is already more than a couple of years old.

Am I crazy? I am not saying that DX will suddenly go away and all the lenses and bodies will be gone in 3 years. It's just that I don't see Nikon making a $2,000 DX body anymore.

Or am I thinking too much about buying the DX lenses and I should get them?

I definitely don't think DX will be gone any time soon, if ever. More than focusing on FX like the D600, if anything I think manufacturers are building the mirrorless and micro 4/3rds systems. I could see DX cameras representing a smaller portion of camera sales as many DSLR buyers will just opt for a mirrorless. Will we have 4 DX's (3200, 5200, 7100, & pro DX D400/300) cameras to choose from in the future? Probably not, but I feel there is a lot of room for the DX DLSR's for years to come.

That said, it's not a bad idea to invest in FX glass from the jump if you can. I just got the D600 and have some lenses that I don't necessarily need anymore like the 35 1.8, thought I am keeping it along with my D90

I definitely don't think DX will be gone any time soon, if ever. More than focusing on FX like the D600, if anything I think manufacturers are building the mirrorless and micro 4/3rds systems. I could see DX cameras representing a smaller portion of camera sales as many DSLR buyers will just opt for a mirrorless. Will we have 4 DX's (3200, 5200, 7100, & pro DX D400/300) cameras to choose from in the future? Probably not, but I feel there is a lot of room for the DX DLSR's for years to come.

That said, it's not a bad idea to invest in FX glass from the jump if you can. I just got the D600 and have some lenses that I don't necessarily need anymore like the 35 1.8, thought I am keeping it along with my D90

I agree, the question is not FX vs DX but more DSLR vs Mirrorless.
This issue has been on my mind for a while now and I really dont know what the future will bring in that regard.
When thinking DX vs FX I think both formats will be continued to be made for a while.

Bottom line I think best get FX lenses, if you look at my lenses they are all FX even though I am using a crop sensor camera.
If you are starting and plan on buying lenses the FX gives you more flexibility, it will work on both bodies while DX will work only on DX cameras.

The micro 4/3 ad 4/3 cameras (2x crop factor) have sensors smaller than Nikon's DX (1.5x crop factor) and Canon's 1.6x crop sensor.

DX is dead on DSLR's... Nikon just doesn't want you to stop buying 'cheap' dx bodies yet.

APS-C sized mirrorless will replace the D3x00 & D5x00 (and possibly the D7x00) cameras. Dont think so? How about all of Nikon's DX Mirrorless patents that keep getting published?
Nikon's 18mm f/2.8 mirrorless DX lens patent | Nikon Rumors

DX is dead on DSLR's... Nikon just doesn't want you to stop buying 'cheap' dx bodies yet.

APS-C sized mirrorless will replace the D3x00 & D5x00 (and possibly the D7x00) cameras. Dont think so? How about all of Nikon's DX Mirrorless patents that keep getting published?
Nikon's 18mm f/2.8 mirrorless DX lens patent | Nikon Rumors

Well, if they are making DX mirrorless than I am guessing atleast the DX lenses will work on those bodies. :) But good luck trying to find cheap wides.

It seems to me that the question is where do you want to go.

If you seeing yourself going to FX then by all means buy FX.

If on the other hand if the D300s is all the camera that you need it should last you a long, long time. Buying new over and over again is a 0 sum game for the average consumer. So long as the dynamic range and image quality of whatever camera you have is sufficient for your needs there really isn't a good reason to buy a new one so long as the one that you have lasts and is in good working order (and from your description a D300s should last you quite a long time).

So, what do you want to do?

I just bought a D7000 and unless I find a used lens incredibly cheap the only DX lens I plan to have is the kit lens. When I purchase new lenses they will all be FX.

Ok I will take your work on this, I read that if you mount DX lens on FX body you are going to get dark ends.

Yes, but by reducing the resolution of the camera dramatically, by only using the center of the sensor. So they work, but not well. JD

........., it will work on both bodies while DX will work only on DX cameras.

DX lenses will work just fine on an FX body.

Ok I will take your work on this, I read that if you mount DX lens on FX body you are going to get dark ends.

That is correct.. 'Most' DX lenses will give you that affect..
00Tvbq-154333684.jpg

However, when you attach a DX lens to a FX body it gets recognized as a DX lens and the camera should switch into DX mode (crop mode). For example, The 24mp D600 turns into 10mp in DX mode.

*EDIT*
However, the D800 in DX mode has almost the exact pixel density as the D7000 (16mp).. Thats why i think DX is dead. The mythical 'D400' isn't going to be a DX body.... its going to be a D800 with a faster frame rate :)

That is correct.. 'Most' DX lenses will give you that affect..

However, when you attach a DX lens to a FX body it gets recognized as a DX lens and the camera should switch into DX mode (crop mode). For example, The 24mp D600 turns into 10mp in DX mode.

*EDIT*
However, the D800 in DX mode has almost the exact pixel density as the D7000 (16mp).. Thats why i think DX is dead. The mythical 'D400' isn't going to be a DX body.... its going to be a D800 with a faster frame rate :)

I think we are more likely to see a d4 sensor in a d800 body with 7-8 fps before we get a faster frame rate d800.
Orrrrr a d7100 sensor + d300 style body and buffer but with a faster frame rate for dx.

Given that most(80%+, according to Thom Hogan)of the DSLRs Nikon sells are DX, I'm thinking that Nikon APS-C sensor cameras will be around for a few more weeks.

With the D90, D7000 and new 24mp D7100 on the shelves, do you seriously think Nikon(or off-brand lens makers)will abandon the format? Think there's lots of life left in the APS-C sensor.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back