FX/DX lens confusion

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For all you other noobs like me who are shopping for a DSLR and are confused about the actual focal lengths of DX fixed focus or zoom lenses, IE: a Nikkor 18-105mm kit lens is equivalent to 27-157mm. I found out that the difference between the two numbers is the "APS equivalent" (Advanced Photo System). The following web site has reviews on many lens brands. When you find the lens you're interested in, click on it and scroll down to Description/Specifications, click on Specs, and about five lines down the APS Equivalent is shown. That's the actual Field of View that the lens sees. Here's the address: www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php/cat/1

It'll take a headache away faster than aspirin.

Tom Beard

Last edited:
A 18-105MM lens would resolve as an 18-105MM lens on a full frame sensor'd camera. It is on a DX format that the crop factor would come into play.

Ands, Right. I should have been clearer in the body of the message. APS is a smaller format (either in film or digital) than 35mm or FX (Standard). Thanks for pointing that out. Tom

can anybody who knows about lenses please check out my post (its a few below this titled lens question) thanks and sorry i couldn't hep but the info posted in mine might help your question

Most reactions

Back