FX Landscape Lens Opinions

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So....

I bought a second hand D600 a few days ago, slight impulse buy..

It wasn't until I got home that I realised that my Tokina 12-24 was in-fact a DX lens, whoops.. Extreme vignetting isn't a favourable effect, so now I am in a market for a replacement. This lens has to serve me as a wide-angle for landscapes, in the region of 15-20mm is perfect - either prime or zoom.

Although a Nikon 14-24 would be ideal, I don't fancy getting a mortgage out in order to afford it, any opinions on sharp landscape lens under the price of £400?

Tokina has a few FX choices too.. but.. wait a bit to see if your D600 has the oil spot issue, most seem to have it,
don't know if you're aware of that. This is why there's a lot of cheap, low-shutter D600s available.

'Most D600's do not have the oil spill issues, It was enough of an issue for Nikon to release the D610 instead of recalling the D600 as it saved Nikon money.

I'm hoping the D600 does have oil spill issues as Nikon will pay for it to be sent to them, and they will replace the sensor/ mechanism free of charge - even though it is second hand. If they are unable to fix it then they will replace it with a D610.

I think theres a lot of bad stigma attached to the D600, considering when you read Nikons terms and conditions on the oil spill issue they are more than cooperative to resolve the issue,

I got a few friends who bought the camera new.
2 of them sent it back to Nikon for the fix, came back fine, but got oil spots after a few months again.
Both of them.

The other 4 sold when the issue appeared.
That's 6 for 6 close to me so.. just figured I'd mention it, not everyone is aware of the issue.
It's a damn good camera.

Seems like you've had a bad experience!

If it comes back then Nikon either replace with another D600, or equivalent. Considering the D600 is no longer in production then it would effectively be replaced by a D610.

Anyway, for the price I paid, I don't think I could have got a better camera for what I need it for, now just time to look at FX wide angle.

One friend who has the D600 actually has a 17-35 Tokina and he's lovin' it.. but he's an amateur and probably
hasn't tried anything else. He also has 11-16 on D7000. I generally like Tokina lenses, bought the 11-20 recently
and it's great.

Several TPF members have the oil splat issues. Several have gotten reoccurring after a shutter replacement and have received a new D610.
I have to check mine to see if it is a problem after my shutter replacement ... guess I should test that soon.

The 12-24 is a 18-36mm respective focal length for the FX
So anything with 18mm starting point.
You mentioned 15mm starting focal length which would be wider than what you were using.

At 18 you have many options from Nikon (both old and new), Tokina, Tamron and Sigma both zooms and Primes.

I use an inexpensive and light Nikon 18-35/3.5-4.6 AF-D lens with my D600. Love using it at car shows and stuff.

.. my Tokina 12-24 was in-fact a DX lens, whoops.. Extreme vignetting isn't a favourable effect,
You can set the camera to automatically detect a DX lens and crop the image.

(see Page 89)

I appreciate that, but after you've cropped it to DX, the resolution face plants to around 10mp. Which isn't great when blowing up landscape prints.

Thanks Astro - considering 12 on crop is 18, what if you just used a 12-24 dx lens from the 18-24mm range? though this is far from an ideal, in theory would it alter image quality do you think?

what does the oil spot non-issue have to do with a wide angle lens?

Thanks Astro - considering 12 on crop is 18, what if you just used a 12-24 dx lens from the 18-24mm range? though this is far from an ideal, in theory would it alter image quality do you think?
A True DX lens has an image circle smaller than the sensor size of a FX sensor.
So your DX 18mm (or at 12 or at 24) is only using roughly HALF or more of the FX sensor.
Thus your true number of pixels is much less, and your image will be circular with the edges blackened out.
Camera Sensor Crop Factor and Equivalent Lens Focal Length

Unless you tell the D600 to be in "crop" mode so it only uses the middle portion of the sensor the size of a DX APS-C Crop sensor. Of which, is smaller than the full sized FX sensor.

Some DX lenses give larger image circles at various focal lengths so YMMV.

what does the oil spot non-issue have to do with a wide angle lens?
Exactly my thoughts, OP is asking about wide lenses and not fixing oil/dust issues on the sensor.

Few months ago I was looking for a good wide zoom lens for my D750
After a lot of search I got a used Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 MkII
Outstanding lens, very sharp, not too big or heavy and only issue is that its not a fast lens which for me is just fine because in good lighting condition its fine and low light doing landscape I shoot with a tripod anyways.
Highly recommend this lens, new in Canada its about 1400$ new and I got it 500$ (CAN) used in mint condition.

any opinions on sharp landscape lens under the price of £400?
... whats that in Dollar or Euro ?

According to google thats apparently 1 pound ~ 1.30 euro ~ 1.45 US dollar.

So thats 520€ or 580$.

I guess an AF 24mm f2.8 would be a good choice for this kind of budget ?

Tokina has a few FX choices too.. but.. wait a bit to see if your D600 has the oil spot issue, most seem to have it,
don't know if you're aware of that. This is why there's a lot of cheap, low-shutter D600s available.
Nikon will replace the shutter if there are any such problems. My D600 was fixed after the first sending in.

One friend who has the D600 actually has a 17-35 Tokina and he's lovin' it.. but he's an amateur and probably
hasn't tried anything else. He also has 11-16 on D7000. I generally like Tokina lenses, bought the 11-20 recently
and it's great.
Its also a DX/APS-C/24x16mm lens, and he as a FX/small format/full frame/36x24mm camera that will vignette heavily.

I know the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 can be used as a 16mm f2.8 prime for FX, but I dont know how well that works with the newer Tokina 11-20mm f2.8.

Actually my 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens at 24mm has much less barrel distortion than my 24/2.8 AF-D lens had.
I sold my 24mm/2.8 because of that. A used 24-85/2.8 is within that budget, plus you get a bonus too of 25-85mm over the 24 prime!!

My 18-35 AF-D has distortion at the 18mm (which you an recover in post) but it's a lens within that budget amount to0.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back