FX Nikon - MILC (with FTZ) Vs DSRL

what option you'd go with ?

• ew Z6II + FTZ - I will use mostly what I have with FTZ, I won't be able to afford many native Z-moun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just wait ...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

please help me to decide ... I am planning a long time to go for a FX, I am not hunted by this idea at all, my D7200 gives me enough IQ, also another thing drags me away from buying new camera now - the DSRL dusk and the simple fact, that there are very limited options in the meaning of available native lenses for Nikon Z-mount ...

I dared to create a poll about the options that I think I have now, they are:

1) used D850 - no less - + many new and used F-mount lenses available .. base investment $2000
2) new Z6II + FTZ - I will use mostly what I have with FTZ, I won't be able to afford many native Z-mount lenses soon .. investment ~$2500
3) just wait ...

FX lenses that I own are in my description, I have already
Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8
Tokina 70-200mm f/4 VR

I don't want to limit myself only by focusing on landscape so I am not keen to buy expensive lenses that are slower than f/2.8 .. I wanted to have a "holy trinity" zoom lenses 16-24mm f/4 at least (no need so fast for ultrawide, it's pointless), 24-70mm f/2.8 and faster and 70-200mm f/2.8 and faster ... With Nikon F-mount is everything doable, not with native Z-mount lenses ..

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on this matter !!!

regards, ~dan

IMO - the Z6II leads the pack only if video is important
Depending why you want FX, maybe consider D810, D750 and glass for that budget.
Is your computer ready for big 47mp raw file handling?

You won't get a used D850 for $2k, unless you want a very well used one. I looked for months and couldn't see getting a well used one for only $500 less than a new one. At least that is the going rate for where I live, maybe for you it's less.

I looked at mirrorless, but had too much older Nikon glass that would not work on the Z bodies, but work fine on the 850 with manual focus. For that minor inconvenience I couldn't see abandoning perfectly useable glass just to go mirrorless.

As tight as your budget is, the SLR and Z bodies are similar enough in function and cost that your glass inventory, or cost of adding to it will be the deciding factor.

IMO - the Z6II leads the pack only if video is important
Depending why you want FX, maybe consider D810, D750 and glass for that budget.
Is your computer ready for big 47mp raw file handling?
Hello zulu, thanks for your input ... I know exactly what I want ... I want D850 because it has tiling display Vs fixed display with D810 and D750 makes almost no sense to me because I have already 24MP camera with reasonable IQ so D750 won't gimme any edge over D7200 ... Computer and storage is not a problem ..

on the other hand, MILC is future and new Z6II + FTZ will be same investment to the body as used D850 ..

You won't get a used D850 for $2k, unless you want a very well used one. I looked for months and couldn't see getting a well used one for only $500 less than a new one. At least that is the going rate for where I live, maybe for you it's less.

I looked at mirrorless, but had too much older Nikon glass that would not work on the Z bodies, but work fine on the 850 with manual focus. For that minor inconvenience I couldn't see abandoning perfectly useable glass just to go mirrorless.

As tight as your budget is, the SLR and Z bodies are similar enough in function and cost that your glass inventory, or cost of adding to it will be the deciding factor.

seems I can get it easily .. There are some in Bohemia avail even now at this moment - and I am not talking about online gamble with ebay or something like that .. I mean that I can really now make a call and tomorrow sit to the car and go and check the D850 available in my region .. Currently there is one avail for a sale and owner claims that it's like new, and 17k on the shutter counter and the other is with 50k on the shutter counter ... both are even below $2000

seems I can get it easily .. There are some in Bohemia avail even now at this moment - and I am not talking about online gamble with ebay or something like that .. I mean that I can really now make a call and tomorrow sit to the car and go and check the D850 available in my region .. Currently there is one avail for a sale and owner claims that it's like new, and 17k on the shutter counter and the other is with 50k on the shutter counter ... both are even below $2000
That's a good deal, here that same body would go for $2600 easy.

The big D850 sensor would be nice in your landscape work, the mirrorless handy for your family and travel shooting... hmm with a D850 in hand for under 2000 I vote D850. Such a wonderful sensor. Forget about FTZ and Z mount expense until that used market becomes affordable.

Reactions: ntz
btw, how "good" works the VR that is built-in the Nikon Z bodies compared to our good old in-lens VR ?? Built-in VR also drives me a bit to Z6ii

I shoot the 850 and the files are totally manageable, memory is dirt cheap. Not only the resolution, but also the dynamic range is spectacular. I have a large format printer in my living room.... hey, if they dated a pianist, he would have a piano in his livingroom... and the huge prints out of this camera are spectacular. At the end of the day of shooting with a 70-200 2.8 on the camera over my shoulder, m,y butt was dragging. Now I use a much better IQ 135 dc and can crop it significantly at a fraction of the weight and size. Mirrorless? What you are seeing in the viewfinder is the JPEG. Do you shoot in jpeg or raw? I shoot MF and 35mm film and there isn't even a meter in the MF much less an lcd. Learn the craft and you don't need those crutches. Oh, and I use a meter regularly especially when every click on the MF is $3.

Most reactions

Back