FX Vs DX for semi-beginner

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am new to forum, my dearest apologize for asking this question - my sixth sense says me that it has been asked many times in many variations ...

I'm advanced beginner I believe, during this CV19 flu flying around I've started with photography *more seriously* .. I have ~ 4 years Nikon D7200 and at the beginning of this year when this CV19 crap started, I had my shutter counter somewhere around ~5k shots, now I have 20k after 6 months and also I've spent some additional budget investing to tripod, additional lenses and few more stuff .. Photography really caught me .. My gear now is:

Nikon D7200
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

I've got mad to landscape and panorama photography and beyond my low skill I also feel that my equipment limits me a bit because specifically that 18-140mm lens are class B or C and I am now thinking about to selling that all and going for FX, specifically

Nikon D750 with Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED (it's set) +
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G

Do you think that improving my gear like that would (significantly) help me compared to my current gear ? Yes, price matters if you'd ask so, so my question is: will there be notable difference between listed gear sets ?

From what I've learned mu current d7200 ain't that bad but my lens, specifcally that zoom 18-140 is class C and I don't know if it would make a sense to follow an another path and buy some good FX lens for my d7200 DX ...

thanks much for your input ..

regards, dan

Last edited:
This may sound harsh, but:

Amateurs talk about gear.
Professionals talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.

"Better gear" "better photos". And without seeing your current work, it's impossible to say whether any 'better' gear would garner you 'better' images.

This may sound harsh, but:

Amateurs talk about gear.
Professionals talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.

"Better gear" "better photos". And without seeing your current work, it's impossible to say whether any 'better' gear would garner you 'better' images.

here's the sample

DSC_2039-7.jpg

What "problem" do you see in that image that "could" be solved by changing equipment ?

What "problem" do you see in that image that "could" be solved by changing equipment ?

ok, you seem to be very proud to answer simple question ... it kinda sucks if one have to "qualify for answer", that's just sick and stinks by elitism .. anyhow, if you ask I believe that for example a lot of Noise won't be there with FX + 1/6 time + 2000 iso compared to d7200 DX

I'll be brutally honest again: There's nothing great about the image. It's got some pretty colors, but there's not much else going for it. Maybe, maybe, an FX body will reduce the noise caused by ISO 2000.

Personally, I think you'd be better improving your images with the gear you have first. Take better photos, not try to 'make' them. History is chock-full of great images taken with 'regular' gear.

ok, you seem to be very proud to answer simple question ... it kinda sucks if one have to "qualify for answer", that's just sick and stinks by elitism ..

Hmm, I was not intending to be facetious ... was just asking what you think is wrong with the image that pertains to hardware.

Do you think that improving my gear like that would (significantly) help me compared to my current gear ? Yes, price matters if you'd ask so, so my question is: will there be notable difference between listed gear sets ?
No.

Thank you very much for answers ... so based on that I will stick for now with D7200 body + I will buy some good FX f-mount lenses so in future I will be able to just change only body.

I've been thinking of selling my d7200 now because my shutter counter ain't very high yet and also d7500 price still keeps rather high and d7200 reviews across different sites still favour slightly (in imaging most of them) d7200 over d7500 so I applied some simple math and found out, that if I can sell my d7200 + DX lenses now, I can have for almost same price (let's say, I'd have to go +10% up) used fx d750 ... Ofc exchange like this could bring potential risks in because the condition of my camera + lenses is 100% and buying second-hand stuff is always dangerous ...

Welcome.
I don't think anyone was trying to 'minimize' the importance of your question or need for information.
When I first joined, I thought, 'oh my gosh, these guys are talking waaaay over my head!'
It's just the way of personalities and analyzing tech stuff.
I think someone was just asking for clarification and then figure out how to help you the best.

I bought my 1st digital in 2012... Nikon D7000. I still have it and think about upgrading. Then, I say I haven't even used all of the stuff on this camera yet! So what is it I am wanting?
Better photos? Find out why I am not getting what I want, then decide if it's camera or me. :)
Trust me, I know the answer. ;)
Nancy

I have a D7200 with a 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 and find it an excellent combination. Even though it's a bit older, that camera still the highest rated sensor in Nikon's DX lineup and that lens is one of the best pieces of glass out there for DX cameras. Yes, you can buy bodies with better AF systems and faster frame rates, which are better for wildlife / birding / sports, and you can buy higher quality (much more expensive) glass, but none of that will make you a better photographer. Spend your time and money on truly learning photography both the science and art. Recommend you study composition and how to use light in addition to using good technique. Study your camera. You want to be able to compose your shot then take tack sharp photos at the correct depth of field every time. Be self critical and ask others to critique your images. Constantly read and study and try new things. Get good at Post Processing. That will make you a better photographer and as you improve you will know when you have outgrown your equipment. Until that time, enjoy the D7200, it's a great camera.

Hello,

I am new to forum, my dearest apologize for asking this question - my sixth sense says me that it has been asked many times in many variations ...

I'm advanced beginner I believe, during this CV19 flu flying around I've started with photography *more seriously* .. I have ~ 4 years Nikon D7200 and at the beginning of this year when this CV19 crap started, I had my shutter counter somewhere around ~5k shots, now I have 20k after 6 months and also I've spent some additional budget investing to tripod, additional lenses and few more stuff .. Photography really caught me .. My gear now is:

Nikon D7200
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

I've got mad to landscape and panorama photography and beyond my low skill I also feel that my equipment limits me a bit because specifically that 18-140mm lens are class B or C and I am now thinking about to selling that all and going for FX, specifically

Nikon D750 with Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED (it's set) +
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G

From what I've learned mu current d7200 ain't that bad but my lens, specifcally that zoom 18-140 is class C and I don't know if it would make a sense to follow an another path and buy some good FX lens for my d7200 DX ...

thanks much for your input ..

regards, dan

NO, getting better gear will not SIGNIFICANTLY improve your pictures.
As was said, technique and knowledge matters MORE than gear.

The 18-140 is not a bad lens, and neither is the D7200.
I have that kit with over 75,000 images shot.

LENS:
  • The 18-140 is a great general purpose lens, but is is NOT a pro grade lens. A pro grade lens on the D7200 WILL make a better detailed image.
  • There are few pro grade DX lenses. If you want pro grade optics, you will generally have to be prepared to PAY for the expensive pro FX lenses.
    • You said "price matters." Pro grade FX lenses are EXPENSIVE. The 24-70/2.8 E is a $2,000 lens.
    • The DX 16-80/2.8-4 is one of the few pro grade DX lenses. It is a better lens than the 18-140, but at a significant cost, a bit over $1,000 USD.
  • Since you are complaining about the DX 18-140, I suggest you research the FX 24-120. The 24-120 is not one of the better FX lenses. There are many who complain about the 24-120, so I suspect that you will complain about the 24-120 also. There is likely a reason that Nikon pulled back to a 24-105 Z lens, rather than make a 24-120 Z lens.
CAMERA:
  • Going from the D7200 to D750 will not get you any more resolution. They are both about 24MP.
  • Yes the D750 is probably better at higher ISO than the D7200.
    • But can you see the ISO noise on a print from the D7200 at normal viewing distance? If not, the D750 won't make a difference.
  • You said: I believe that for example a LOT of Noise won't be there with FX + 1/6 time + 2000 iso compared to d7200 DX.
    • This is a typical "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" thinking that many people have. Yes, the noise will probably be less, but not a LOT less. If this is what you expect, I believe you will be disappointed.
Besides the noise that you see in the image, and your feeling that the 18-140 is not giving you the best image, what other issues do you have with the D7200 + 18-140?

I have a D7200 with a 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 and find it an excellent combination ..

thanks, sure ... I like my d7200 camera, as I've explained earlier, there were two levels behind my question:

1) I felt that there is a chance to *exchange a d7200 by d750 without any significant surcharge
2) I'm already thinking in forward so I've also asked on your opinion to just buy all future lenses to be f-mount FX

I'm already aiming at FX camera, I just want it .. so the very most likely this my d7200 will be my spare (sports/adventure) camera .. lemme tell you one thing - I'm playing guitar, there's similar ecosystem on music forums - ppl ask ``do you think should I buy $3000 guitar instead of my $500 guitar ??'' and some ppl reply that they have to "qualify" for that in the meaning of skill but I am (and me alike) saying - if you want it, if you can afford it, why not - you will certainly love that guitar and you will feel the difference

thanks much, such a great answer !!!!

> what other issues do you have with the D7200 + 18-140?

it seems to me that the AP threshold for this combination of camera and lenses is AP11 (based on my experiments + additional study of resources on internet) so right here right now I am struggling a bit to get a sharp landscape photos with good depth of the field and with wide lens (~ 27mm FX aka 18mm on DX)

There is a lens difference from DX to FX.
A "normal" lens on DX is 35mm, on FX it is 50mm.
This is the 1.5x crop factor for DX.
The lens itself does not change, only the angle of view, caused by the different size of the DX and FX sensors.
So, if you get a FX lens, use it on your DX camera, then get a FX camera, the angle of view that you see with the camera will increase, and the magnification of the lens will decrease. The DX to FX upgrade is not simple.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back