FYI for "rest areas", be careful what you take pics of

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I stop the other night at the rest area near Skyway Bridge St. Petersburg, FL. I figure I always see tourists snapping photo's at our rest areas, so I had pulled in on the motorcycle to play some camera gear I picked up. Just a bare vivitar and a new pocket wizard.

A lady (I think she's lesbian but thats OK) in a US customs hat introduces herself as "The transportation Authority" and explains to me I can't take pics of the building! ROFL, I said "what the vending machines and restrooms are top secret or major terrorist targets huh". I honestly thought she was joking.

So I proceed to the building I didn't want a pic of, and spot an old style pay phone (its new and works). I set up a bare flash strobe camera right and shoot a pic of myself. Flash fires.

OM MY GOD this lady went off the DEEP end. I thought she might taze me or such and explained tourists take pics all the time there. She pointed in the distance and explained to me that taking a pic of the Skyway Bridge is Ok (like thats not a real target) but her restroom building its illegal. She was so passionate about it i didn't argue i was packing up the bike with cam gear while she was still yelling and I got out of there.

Thats quite the far-fetched story so here's some proof
iconhammer.gif

316817_2268321222133_1071635590_2484826_953090515_n.jpg

That story deserves a big bold, "zOMFG, what an id-jot!"

She was onto you for shooting pics of a rest stop bathroom building!!!!!! zOMFG, what a power-trippin' employee!!!!! Snort! Sheeesus, some of these rent-a-cop types need to rent-a-brain...

If it's any consolation, I wouldda' tazed you:sexywink:

You should have snapped a few of her...to really get her going. :lol:

That story deserves a big bold, "zOMFG, what an id-jot!"

She was onto you for shooting pics of a rest stop bathroom building!!!!!! zOMFG, what a power-trippin' employee!!!!! Snort! Sheeesus, some of these rent-a-cop types need to rent-a-brain...

If it's any consolation, I wouldda' tazed you:sexywink:

I honestly thought she was going to taze me, too my friend. She was skeeerry anyway!

You should have snapped a few of her...to really get her going. :lol:

If i wasn't so frightened of the effect from tazers i would have
bigthumb.gif

What I would give to have traded places with you at that very moment... I've dealt with my share of otherwise big shot rent-a-cops, (though I have been approached by actual cops), it's gotten to the point that I truly enjoy the rare occasion when some idiot approaches me and trys to tell me what I am not to take photographs of. Here's the deal...Not only was taking photos at the rest stop permissible, you're free to take photos of much more than most realize. Moreover, you could have pressed charges for on the grounds of harassment (which, ya know, would be... A bit much, but I'd have passed that little gem of knowledge onto her all the same just to watch the beads of sweat accumulate on her forehead). Take a look at this: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htmI HIGHLY suggest keeping a copy in your camera bag. The next time somebody approaches you, whip that out and literally show them that they are wasting both their and your time... I find that proceeding to take photographs of the individual and yelling out "Yes! Thats it.. Woooork it, woooork it" makes for some lovely material. Hope this helped, and should it happen again, shoot video of it taking place If your cam is video-capable

What I would give to have traded places with you at that very moment... I've dealt with my share of otherwise big shot rent-a-cops, (though I have been approached by actual cops), it's gotten to the point that I truly enjoy the rare occasion when some idiot approaches me and trys to tell me what I am not to take photographs of. Here's the deal...Not only was taking photos at the rest stop permissible, you're free to take photos of much more than most realize. Moreover, you could have pressed charges for on the grounds of harassment (which, ya know, would be... A bit much, but I'd have passed that little gem of knowledge onto her all the same just to watch the beads of sweat accumulate on her forehead). Take a look at this: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htmI HIGHLY suggest keeping a copy in your camera bag. The next time somebody approaches you, whip that out and literally show them that they are wasting both their and your time... I find that proceeding to take photographs of the individual and yelling out "Yes! Thats it.. Woooork it, woooork it" makes for some lovely material. Hope this helped, and should it happen again, shoot video of it taking place If your cam is video-capable

Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page

Fixed the link for ya ^^

Pay phone? You mean there are still some of those around? Thank god you had the shot to prove it or I wouldn't have believed your story :lmao:

Probably should have answered her in a middle eastern accent and implied that your English was limited.

Just stand looking directly at her while she goes off, when she finishes wait a couple of seconds then, shake your head, blink your eyes and say, "Oh ****, sorry love, did you say something?" :-D lol what a crack-head!!

Pay phone? You mean there are still some of those around? Thank god you had the shot to prove it or I wouldn't have believed your story :lmao:

LOL That's what I said in another thread. 2wheel, I've been actually thinking of buying one for an atique collection. Might bring me in 4.3 million bucks if I take a picture of it one day :lmao:

i remember i was in the us customs one time and i had to use the washroom real bad, i had to ask five different officers for permission to use their fancy bathroom. the whole time i was using the facility an officer stood right outside and waited.

LOL That's what I said in another thread. 2wheel, I've been actually thinking of buying one for an atique collection. Might bring me in 4.3 million bucks if I take a picture of it one day :lmao:

That pay phone was found in working condition with an original "dial tone" at the rest area south of the skyway bridge outside of St Petersburg, FL
bigthumb.gif

... and you got her supervisors name and contact info??

Most reactions

Back