Gallery Worthy?

streettrailpark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking I want to try to sell some of my stuff in local galleries, I'm wondering if you guys think I should/would/could. You can see a lot of my shots at www.joshallsopp.tumblr.com. I don`t mean this stuff, but I'm posting it cause I took them tonight. So tell me what you think of them as well.

waterflow.jpg

reflectpurple.jpg

pathgirl.jpg

That's a tough question. Any one (or 20) people's opinions won't necessarily determine if you are "worthy" of a gallery ... or a sale. For example, I find a lot of Ansel Adams stuff tiresome and boring... obviously if he asked me my opinion of his work and took me at face value the world would have been denied a very popular photographer. :)

My personal reaction to your stuff wasn't overwhelming... a couple of the shots were neat. I liked the rural one. The lighting is cool on a few of the images. I very much like the tree touching the water, but I think the composition wasn't ideal for me. Some nice stuff, definitely... just wasn't floored by anything.

Others may (will) likely feel different.

I say if you like your stuff then do your best to shop it around and try to get into gallery's or wherever you want it to be. You never know.

I would think you'd want to talk to someone that has a gallery about that.

Your photographs are very nice, however, most galleries are overwhelmed by submissions. Everyone wants to think their photographs are special, but the gallery owner is the one you have to convince.

Your photographs would be rejected by me because they are just nice, not very dramatic, and don't show a new point of view. I do recommend that you take your very best work, (by appointment) properly mounted and matted to a gallery that specializes in photography and ask for a critique. Don't take more than twelve images and be a good listener. I speak from 55 years experience as an art director and photographer. Even if you are accepted, plan on a long wait for any income. Also, be sure that you have a written agreement regarding sales commission, a record of work left at the gallery, etc.

Nice info, Duane. I'd love to hear more.

Let us assume that you are ready to exhibit your images. Please do not refer to them as 'shots'. Say something like "I have some images I would like to show you". Do some research first; find out where the galleries are that exhibit and sell phorographs in your area. I would recommend that you stay away from restaurants and jazz clubs and other venues that sre not bona fide "galleries". Go visit the gallery and see if it is a place you would want your images to be displayed. If possible, talk to the owner and ask questions about how they decide which photographers to give space to. Also ask if they use a written contract. Then, make an appointment to have the person that makes the decision on acceptance review your work, if you are favorably impressed. Visit several galleries, if possible and have them all give you a critique. Questions? More on this later.

O.K., now about presentation:

You should have a porfolio or archival box to carry the images in. Every print should be mounted on acid-free museum board, preferably with an overmat to protect it and acid-free interleaves to cover the mat. Be sure that every print is in perfect condition. They should be signed IN PENCIL near the lower, right corner.

The idea of having 'Limited Edition' prints is a phony idea that fools no one except other fools. I recommend that you do not follow this path. Ansel Adams never numbered a print.

That's all for now.

Duane

..............is 60% to the artist and 40% to the gallery. But, it's all negotiable.

Duane

Would you mind explaining the reasons for some of that? Why in pencil? You don't need to have them framed? Just mounted? The gallery frames? Why avoid the local businesses thing?

Thanks, this is all great info.

Agreed! Thank you so much for all the info and advice, its very appreciated!

i would forsure say Photo 2 is gallery worthy. I would buy it

Agreed! Thank you so much for all the info and advice, its very appreciated!

So what's your conclusion? What's your next move?

I'm going to print out some stuff and prepare it, and then ask about appointments and show it to some galleries this week and see what they think of it. Then I'll just go from there.

A pen will fade and is a visual distraction. A pencil will never fade.

You cannot easily carry 12 framed prints. Also, remember that you are trying to get into a good gallery and want to show a nice selection of images. The owner may pick out one or more and say, " Let's frame these and we'll put them on display." Who frames them is negotiable too.

Displaying only in reputable galleries is a career building and marketing strategy. There are plenty of galleries all over your state and all over the country. Also concentrate your efforts on entering regional, state and national shows. Build your resume of exhibitions. Keep good records.

NEXT: A workable numbering and filing system for all your images.

Duane Carter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back