Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Garden updates…

False snapdragons. Reseeded from the plants I grew last year using winter sowing. They were first to bloom and they stay in bloom a really long time! View attachment 276610

Saved from the clearance rack at Lowe’s. I cut out all the dead pieces and gave it some Alaska Morbloom and it has bounced fully back to fabulous!View attachment 276611

Astilbe planted last year has really taken off in this spot. It’s huge. View attachment 276612

Remember the new garden bed - I added some trellises and 3 new clematis. This pink one is Comtesse de Bouchard. View attachment 276613

View attachment 276614

Usually I grow basil on my kitchen counter but they had this big beautiful plant for so cheap… so I pinched the top off two of the stems and stuck them in the soil and now I have 3 plants growing. Will repot one and bring it inside. Princess can take the other one to her apartment.
View attachment 276616
View attachment 276615

Snapdragons bought one big pot and separated into 3 planters.
View attachment 276617

Callas from Costco
View attachment 276618

Major Wheeler still blooming!
View attachment 276619

First cone flower bloom from the many I winter sowed last year.

View attachment 276620

More winter sowing results. Shasta daisies. I’m not crazy about these and will probably pull them and give them away in the fall.
View attachment 276621
Green Thumb of the Year Award! :lol: Your garden(s) look great!

I came across another Major Wheeler honeysuckle, a 1-gal.pot on sale. I remembered that you have multiples and it's working fine, so I snagged it. Planted it about a foot away from the other one.

Astilbes are a new favorite for me. Last year was my first summer in this house so I had to sit back and see what came up. Mostly pink hydrangeas ( :icon_puke_r: ) and several hostas ( 🥱 ) but I do have astilbe and love them - new to me, and they're very carefree.

New gro-bag spuds dug this a.m. More to come!

newspud1.jpg

New gro-bag spuds dug this a.m. More to come!

View attachment 276630
Harvest, well done🤘! Was baked whole spuds here for dinner last night, with cheese, bacon, Italian herbs and a heap of salty butter.

There was also a tossed salad with ranch dressing and salty roasted pig belly. What you gonna do with the spuds?

This may be the last I see of this guy. That black stuff below him is probably his last molt, from what I was reading. Apparently they eat their old molted skins to keep predators from finding them. He may crawl away today.

20240625_120840.jpg

This milkweed is in the ground so I can't pop him into my netted butterfly cage, where he'd be safer.

Would he make it if I transported him on the leaf he's on, and put some sticks in there so he could climb to the top and attach there? 🤔

That little gray paw in the top right belongs to Bex - she follows us around the yard and is interested in all garden chores. ;) Photobomb!

This may be the last I see of this guy. That black stuff below him is probably his last molt, from what I was reading. Apparently they eat their old molted skins to keep predators from finding them. He may crawl away today.

View attachment 276710

This milkweed is in the ground so I can't pop him into my netted butterfly cage, where he'd be safer.

Would he make it if I transported him on the leaf he's on, and put some sticks in there so he could climb to the top and attach there? 🤔

That little gray paw in the top right belongs to Bex - she follows us around the yard and is interested in all garden chores. ;) Photobomb!
I would put a temporary net over it and wait until they form the chrysalis, then move it.

Major Thrift Shop Score.

Wife and I stopped by a thrift shop last week and I found a camera bag priced at $19.95 ($14.00 with my senior discount). I bought it and it contained Nikon film cameras and lenses. A Nikon N2000 with 35-105mm zoom, Tamaron 70-210mm zoom and misc. stuff, but also a Nikon FM with 50mm f/1.4. The big score for me was a pristine absolutely like-new Nikon 28mm f/2 which I'm keeping. I took the FM and 50mm f/1.4 to the camera shop and exchanged it for $140.00 cash and gave them the rest of the junk.

I'm really enjoying my new Nikon 28mm f/2. I put it on my Fuji X-T2 and it's a real nice general purpose focal length (40mm FF equiv.). But I'm too busy in the gardens right now to go taking photos. So today I took the camera and lens out with me to water and pull weeds. Here's some snaps from the gardens this morning:

Okra is doing real good.
Italian pole beans are through the top of the towers.
Mandevilla is blooming nicely and climbing the arch.
And a daylily.

okra.jpg

pole-beans.jpg

mandevilla.jpg

daylily.jpg

Major Thrift Shop Score.

Wife and I stopped by a thrift shop last week and I found a camera bag priced at $19.95 ($14.00 with my senior discount). I bought it and it contained Nikon film cameras and lenses. A Nikon N2000 with 35-105mm zoom, Tamaron 70-210mm zoom and misc. stuff, but also a Nikon FM with 50mm f/1.4. The big score for me was a pristine absolutely like-new Nikon 28mm f/2 which I'm keeping. I took the FM and 50mm f/1.4 to the camera shop and exchanged it for $140.00 cash and gave them the rest of the junk.

I'm really enjoying my new Nikon 28mm f/2. I put it on my Fuji X-T2 and it's a real nice general purpose focal length (40mm FF equiv.). But I'm too busy in the gardens right now to go taking photos. So today I took the camera and lens out with me to water and pull weeds. Here's some snaps from the gardens this morning:

Okra is doing real good.
And a daylily.

View attachment 276712

View attachment 276713

View attachment 276714

View attachment 276711
That's an incredible find on the kit!

I would put a temporary net over it and wait until they form the chrysalis, then move it.
So brilliant - thank you! I opened the net butterfly cage, unzipped the side door and set it over the milkweed. The plant is bending at the top because it's too tall to fit in there neatly, but that may only help the cat up to the top - if he decides to stay. The bottom of the cage is open on the uneven ground, so he could crawl out if he really felt the urge to distance himself from the host.

He hadn't moved much from his position earlier today, so there may be a chrysalis pretty soon.

Major Thrift Shop Score.

Okra is doing real good.
And a daylily.

View attachment 276712

View attachment 276713

View attachment 276714

View attachment 276711
That's awesome! Congrats on getting such a deal on this lens.

The garden looks sweet, too - mmm, that okra...been years since we planted any. It was always a challenge once they got large to paw my way down the rows and hunt for them.

On my side of the pond, we call these American Poppies

View attachment 276694
Beautiful color and form on these!

View attachment 276710

A lot of people keep them safe in enclosures and supply them with fresh milkweed leaves. But definitely google it first as there’s some other things you need to know. Also they poop a LOT so be prepared to clean that up!!

So brilliant - thank you! I opened the net butterfly cage, unzipped the side door and set it over the milkweed. The plant is bending at the top because it's too tall to fit in there neatly, but that may only help the cat up to the top - if he decides to stay. The bottom of the cage is open on the uneven ground, so he could crawl out if he really felt the urge to distance himself from the host.

He hadn't moved much from his position earlier today, so there may be a chrysalis pretty soon.
Looking forward to seeing him morth🤘...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back