Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Make no mistake. Evil wears a pretty face. I can never pull them up as fast as they grow.

morning-glory.jpg

Just as evil as the pink ones but even prettier. Here growing on the fence with their evil cousin clematis.

blue-morning-glory.jpg

Finally been eating regularly now from the garden. It's eggplant time.

eggplant.jpg

Make no mistake. Evil wears a pretty face. I can never pull them up as fast as they grow.

View attachment 260023
I made the mistake planting them. After 2 years it took another 2 yrs to eradicate them, so I thought. 2 years went buy and another patch appeared, but I'm pretty confident this time. On the subject of the photos...very nice colors and saturation.

The bargain clearance roses I sweated my butt off to clear grass and plant last fall are really looking good!

195C3AA2-B77C-4A2A-9E74-9A8C486127C5.jpeg

F341EC81-32A1-45F1-A237-42F7E1C627FE.jpeg

My zinnias struggled all summer with the heat and powdery mildew and my error of putting too many in the same large pot. Now that fall cool nights are here they are bursting with life. I’m hoping most of the buds get to bloom before our first frost. If we have an overnight frost warning, will they survive in a pot if I cover them?

02790A71-113F-4859-AF5B-F5174132A80B.jpeg

54D943AE-BDB6-4C57-8BD4-BDAF77DC8E17.jpeg

My zinnias struggled all summer with the heat and powdery mildew and my error of putting too many in the same large pot. Now that fall cool nights are here they are bursting with life. I’m hoping most of the buds get to bloom before our first frost. If we have an overnight frost warning, will they survive in a pot if I cover them?

View attachment 260353

View attachment 260354

They're so pretty! I would think tossing a light towel or sheet over them wouldn't hurt.

Do you know their cold tolerance? It can be a toss up in possible damage between trying to protect them or seeing if they get nipped from the chill. Sometimes a frost warning is for a very short period of time, barely an hour, and there's no harm.

Some dahlias from my garden. The pink one is a dinner plate dahlia that I grew from a tuber and it took forever to bloom. The red dahlia is a normal sized that I bought potted from Lowes. The wind blew a chair over on top of the plant a few weeks ago, breaking all the stems off at the base. I was surprised to see it produce 4 new stems that have just started to bloom. Overall, despite these beauties, I’d give my dahlia experiments a B- this year. Too much heat and too much sun. I’ll have a better plan for next year if the weather is similar.

EF059ED1-71C2-46AE-86E5-EDDB430967AE.jpeg

05AE152B-B4B8-4C07-B87C-D365371AB51C.jpeg

Homebrew obelisks. A serious test of my eighth-grade carpentry chops...

New homes for an ancient climber and an elderly Bourbon waiting for cooler weather before pruning and transplant to better surroundings.

ObsA.jpg

Homebrew obelisks. A serious test of my eighth-grade carpentry chops...

New homes for an ancient climber and an elderly Bourbon waiting for cooler weather before pruning and transplant to better surroundings.

View attachment 260392
You made? These are fantastic! I’m curious about the color choice? Is it meant to blend in? I recently bought one of these but haven’t put it together yet. At this point I may wait until spring as growing season is done here.

19AF31DE-0700-4606-A3C1-4ED0B99002E1.jpeg

I’m a little concerned about anchoring it due to the angles. No have been using rebar and zip ties on the other structures I’ve added. I guess I’ll pound in the rebar at an angle?

You made? These are fantastic! I’m curious about the color choice? Is it meant to blend in? I recently bought one of these but haven’t put it together yet. At this point I may wait until spring as growing season is done here.

View attachment 260393

I’m a little concerned about anchoring it due to the angles. No have been using rebar and zip ties on the other structures I’ve added. I guess I’ll pound in the rebar at an angle?
Yup, homemade. Gray-green tends to disappear behind the foliage and blooms--the roses are the stars, not the obelisk. Yours might be anchored with smallish wood stakes near the bottom crossbars. Pound 'em in and secure with zips run thru a small hole at the top of the stakes.

Yup, homemade. Gray-green tends to disappear behind the foliage and blooms--the roses are the stars, not the obelisk. Yours might be anchored with smallish wood stakes near the bottom crossbars. Pound 'em in and secure with zips run thru a small hole at the top of the stakes.

I have some metal stakes that are like very thin rebar with a hook on the end. They go about 2’ into the ground. I’ll probably use those to hold it down. Will see how substantial it seems once I put it together. I guess I should do it now as I won’t be able to return it if I wait until next year. Better to find out over this winter if it’s stable in the wind than when it has a year’s worth of growth on it.

Reactions: cgw
I get it. I have a stubborn morning glory that I have been battling with.
I actually plant them on purpose, all along the back garden where I've made a fence of used shipping pallets. I'm never up early enough to see the blooms though. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back