Gas. A philosopical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
No doubt this question had been answered in various forms and context, but I'm going to ask it anyway just to satisfy my search for a gastric need of a fix.
I do not believe the assertion, or myth, if it even exists, that one needs a $7000 camera to take good (satisfactory) pictures. I've always thought it is the person (and or lens) that make the picture.
Do you believe that?
Given that, my recent foray into investing in Russian knockoffs (Fed and Kiev 4) one of ea, and my recent purchase of a Minolta Hi Matic 9 camera, all about $50, or under
And there is a cupola of other oldies for less than $50 on my bucket list. Thinking my bucket will eventually develop a hole in it, I truly need these cameras because I cannot afford that $7000 camera, or for that matter, even want it.
Besides, I like cheap film cameras. Do you have a better excuse for your gas?
phffft....

Talk is cheap just like a cheap film camera -- post pictures.

I blame my gas on what I eat.

I've always thought it is the person (and or lens) that make the picture.
Do you believe that?

I do. But there is a line somewhere when cheap gear becomes not worth buying.

Sometimes it can just be too cheap. I'm more concerned with reliability than price. Some cheap stuff performs well, but some is just cheap junk...

It's not always easy to tell which is which before you buy...

I do not believe the assertion, or myth, if it even exists, that one needs a $7000 camera to take good (satisfactory) pictures.

There is no such myth. No one will ever tell you that you need a $7000 camera to take good (satisfactory) pictures. No one will tell you that, because
it's such a broad and generic statement. Of course you don't need $7000 worth of photography equipment to take a good photo. That's not what you pay $7000 for.

Great photos can be taken with an iPhone. There's no doubt about that. But there is a difference between taking good photos, and taking good photos in any condition.
In other words, there are specific needs for specific equipment. The more your equipment costs, the better it is at doing what it does and the easier it allows you to do it.

Same thing goes for anything else on the planet.

Do you believe that?

No. I don't. Take the battery out of your camera, and take a picture. If your camera isn't battery operated, take the film out of the camera, put the camera down, and take a photo with just the film. How did those photos turn out?

It takes both in my opinion. The mind that forms the photograph, as opposed to just capturing an image, is that of the photographer. The camera, which follows the lead of the photographer, is what captures the image but it lacks the imagination to capture something worthwhile. Both have to do their job properly or all you get is yet another snapshot.

To that end, a poor camera will never perform as well as a good camera so half the equation is doomed. This is not to say that the camera has to be of the $7000 variety for everyone but at the same time a $25 piece of junk is never going to be able to provide the same image quality. That's why there is so much room in the middle, filled by so many different camera bodies.

I tend to favor crispy bacon over chewy bacon. But if its on a BLT I prefer chewy.

I do not believe the assertion, or myth, if it even exists, that one needs a $7000 camera to take good (satisfactory) pictures.

There is no such myth. No one will ever tell you that you need a $7000 camera to take good (satisfactory) pictures. No one will tell you that, because
it's such a broad and generic statement. Of course you don't need $7000 worth of photography equipment to take a good photo. That's not what you pay $7000 for.

Great photos can be taken with an iPhone. There's no doubt about that. But there is a difference between taking good photos, and taking good photos in any condition.
In other words, there are specific needs for specific equipment. The more your equipment costs, the better it is at doing what it does and the easier it allows you to do it.

Same thing goes for anything else on the planet.

Do you believe that?

No. I don't. Take the battery out of your camera, and take a picture. If your camera isn't battery operated, take the film out of the camera, put the camera down, and take a photo with just the film. How did those photos turn out?

You say that the myth that you need an expensive camera doesn't exist, and then you explain why it does.

The first post seems to more or less say that while you don't really need an expensive camera, you'll wish you had one. The second post says that the camera is just a hunk of metal and plastic, and it can't do anything without a good photographer behind it.

Which is it?

That's actually not what I said at all. Nice try though.

I like crispy bacon if I am having a club sandwich. Course Canadian bacon is an outright lie.

"The more your equipment costs, the better it is at doing what it does and the easier it allows you to do it."

How is that NOT saying that an expensive camera is better?

"The more your equipment costs, the better it is at doing what it does and the easier it allows you to do it."

Are you drunk?

Are you drunk?

No. Not drunk enough to believe that you did not in fact make the statement that I quoted, anyway.

That's your defense? Accusing me of being drunk?

edit
Even if I was drunk, that doesn't change what you said.

The point the OP is clearly trying to make is not something about $7000 as a precise figure.

Gear snobs exist. They're annoying. And they're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back