Gas Station Night Photo

Abbenquesnel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my first night photos. Taken at a cold (-21) midnight.

IMG_2687.jpg

Maybe some of you could give some comments on how to improve my photo?

Info:http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=443741842

grab a tripod and turn the ISO back down to 100 so it's not all grainy.

Well, then unfortunately this photo doesn't represent it. I wonder why this is so?
You're sure it was well exposed at 100 ISO and you did not lighten it up afterwards (for that creates noise, too)?
What quality is your camera set to? RAW? Highest .jpg-quality possible?
Does your camera allow for RAW? How far can you stop down?
What is the absolutely lowest ISO?

Well, then unfortunately this photo doesn't represent it. I wonder why this is so?
You're sure it was well exposed at 100 ISO and you did not lighten it up afterwards (for that creates noise, too)?
What quality is your camera set to? RAW? Highest .jpg-quality possible?
Does your camera allow for RAW? How far can you stop down?
What is the absolutely lowest ISO?

I might have lightened it up a bit. But not much though.
Camera is set at .jpg
I never used RAW yet.
Lowest ISO I believe is 100 on this camera, but I could be wrong.
It's rebel XT.

Grain doesn't bother me much here, but what is the picture of? It's poorly composed in my opinion.

I might have lightened it up a bit. But not much though.
Camera is set at .jpg
I never used RAW yet.
Lowest ISO I believe is 100 on this camera, but I could be wrong.
It's rebel XT.

this look like 1000 ISO.
you sure this is 100? if so thats very very strange.

yeah my XT never showed that much noise below ISO 400 strange indeed. You might want to get that checked out. Also the shot is too dark.

yeah my XT never showed that much noise below ISO 400 strange indeed. You might want to get that checked out. Also the shot is too dark.

i think he had it at 1000 and read it wrong.. its cool either way let us know the deal.

lower your iso.

for a shot like this (forground is dark, and then there is some stuff lit up by truck lights etc) you might want to experiment with HDR.

lower your iso.

for a shot like this (forground is dark, and then there is some stuff lit up by truck lights etc) you might want to experiment with HDR.

hes saying its a ISO of 100.. i don't find that possible.

Well, the exif data does read ISO 100 - 30 sec - f18. :scratch:

Corina, you beat me to it. :) I think the 30 sec. exposure is the problem. The sensor will start to get warm and noise will rear it's ugly head. (even at minus 21 degrees) I would try an aperture more like f/5.6. This will make your exposure more like 8 sec. This should be well within the XT's capabilities. Also, try bracketing your exposure, like 4-8-16 sec. This will negate the need to lighten up the image in post. Hope this helps.

30 seconds should be possible for the Rebel XT without the sensor getting warm. The small aperture makes nicer lights, f5.6 would produce wide blobs of light, though. I still suspect the 30 seconds were not enough and the photo had to be brightened up in post processing...

OR :idea: ...

...this is a big crop out of a much larger photo???

OR :idea: ...

...it was saved at a low resolution? At 1023x682px (speaks for a pp crop) it is only 204KB, which seems little... :scratch:

Actually, I don't know. It isn't the best image quality, that much is for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back