Gear on Airplane

tinfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick question. I have a wedding this summer that will require me to travel by air. I have recently started my business and this is the first time I will be traveling with all my gear. Most of it, at least the important stuff I normally carry in a backpack type gearbag. (cameras, lenses, etc). I am hoping I can just take this as a carry on. Anyone with experience foresee any problems I should be aware of.

speak with the airline to confirm baggage allowances, especially with all these new limits

thats all I can sugest as last time i travelled I didnt even have a nice camera! LOL

no, not really. I just travelled and didn't have much trouble with my stuff. The only concern is the size of the gear bag. Airlines are starting to become pickier about the size of carry on you're allowed to take, so you might want to check that out. Otherwise it should be fine, gear wise they don't care if you bring stuff on the flight.

I travell with quite a bit of gear, never had a problem. Because of the lead glass used in lenses I tend to get searched alot, so just give yourself some extra time and you will be fine.

They actually recommend you take photography equipment as a carry on and do not check it. Especially a camera with lots of electronics because you're not supposed to put any kind of electronics in your checked luggage.

But it doesn't have to be your only carry on - you are allowed one carry on and one personal item such as a purse/briefcase or camera bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/pack.shtm

Carry-on baggage is a small piece of luggage you take onboard the airplane with you. You are allowed one carry-on in addition to one personal item such as a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case.

I've travelled post-9/11 with a backpack-sized camera bag (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Compu...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215081030&sr=8-11 ) and a mid-sized carry on (slightly too big to fit under seat but not a max carry on size) and no one has questioned it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know of a local sports writer/photographer that had a problem with having his sensor cleaning chemicals setting off the alarm which detects explosives. Other than that definitely carry on anything you don't want mishandled by the gorillas that throw around the checked bags.

Thanks everyone. One more question. I may sound stupid, but just want to be sure. Camera and equip going through x-ray does not pose any risk of damaging sensor or anything.......correct.

Correct. The only concern is with film, especially slow ISO film. But your checked luggage actually goes through even stronger xray machines so even with film, it's better to take it on your carry on. If you're worried about it getting exposed by the xray machine, you can have a security officer inspect the film by hand.

But if you're purely digital, no worries. I travel a lot (because I'm American but living in the UK, I take many trips to visit home) and never had a problem.

I routinely carry-on my relatively large Tamrac CyberPro bag (Contains camera, all lenses listed below, flash,spare batteries, and 15.4" Dell Laptop). They make me take the laptop out and run it through security separately, but other than that, I've had no problem up till now. Not sure if that will change as carry-on regs get tighter. It also weighs a ton if I cram all that stuff into it. Tripods are an issue, though. My monopod fits in my wife's carryon, but my Bogen 3021 tripod needs checking. I saw this beautiful Gitzo Traveller Carbon Fiber traveller (light weight and collapses small enough) yesterday at the local camera store, but it was (gasp) $700.

I've never had any issues passing through security with my equipment. Just be ready to remove everything from the bag and place it in the totes if necessary. My cleaning supplies and tripod go with the checked baggage.

Most of the time I just place the body and lenses in one tote and the bag in another (with misc. supplies still inside) however, on the way back from Utah I did this and was asked to remove everything from the bag.

On another note, I was told by security while passing through another Airport that I didn't have to remove anything at all. Just unzip the bag and send it through X-Ray as is.

I've never been asked to unpack the Tamrac (watch me jynx myself)

I have just flew by air with my gear and I was able to take it as a carry on. The only thing they realy watch for is liquids so you should be fine.........Good Luck!

Most reactions

Back