Gear overhaul

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm committing myself to getting better at this and am upgrading some gear. My goal is to have a basic strobist setup as well as a range of lenses that cover the ideal focal lengths. Here's what I've put together so far

Body:
D90 (going to order)
D60 (if it doesn't sell)

Lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm (own)
Nikon 55-200mm (own)
Nikon 50mm 1.8 (finding)
Nikon 35mm 1.8 (ordered)

Lighting: (will order)
Nikon SB600 Flash (maybe 2)
Wescott Light Stand 7.5 foot
Wescott 43" Soft Silver Collapsible Umbrella
Shoe mount clamp
Nikon Color Filter Set
Diffuser

Other stuff:
Nikon remote
UV filters

Do you guys think this is a decent setup? What would you recommend in addition to or replacing any of this? I know I'd like to have a shorter focal length lens, and a 300mm telephoto too, but that will have to wait. Are there any older Nikon lenses around 10-20mm that autofocus on the D90? And the flashes will fire wirelessly with the D90 right? Thanks in advance for the advice.

24-70f2.8
:lol: That's pretty much my whole budget. I'll keep that one on the wish list though, right behind the new 10-24mm AF-S.

I found a guy in my area with the d90 kit w/ 18-105mm lens, although I didn't really want the lens. He also has a $200 lowepro backpack he's tossing in with it for $1100 even (Camera is only 3 weeks old too). Is it worth keeping the 18-105 and parting with the 18-55? I've heard mixed reviews of the 18-105, but most like the shorter 18-55. I'd like to just have the 18-200 but I will have to make due without for now, or sell all my zoom lenses to buy that as a replacement. I think I'm for sure gonna get the stuff from him and just sell what I don't need. I should make out ahead if I only end up with the body in the long run anyways.

Ok, so I'm committing myself to getting better at this and am upgrading some gear. My goal is to have a basic strobist setup as well as a range of lenses that cover the ideal focal lengths. Here's what I've put together so far

Body:
D90 (going to order)
D60 (if it doesn't sell)

Lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm (own)
Nikon 55-200mm (own)
Nikon 50mm 1.8 (finding)
Nikon 35mm 1.8 (ordered)

Lighting: (will order)
Nikon SB600 Flash (maybe 2)
Wescott Light Stand 7.5 foot
Wescott 43" Soft Silver Collapsible Umbrella
Shoe mount clamp
Nikon Color Filter Set
Diffuser

Other stuff:
Nikon remote
UV filters

Take out the Nikon color filter set, and get a sample pak of hels and put velcro on them, the nikon ones are a hassle, and too expensive at $15.

UV filters are a personal preference, if you take even reasonable care of your gear, they're not needed IMO.

Take out the diffuser, you won't be using it since you'll have stands and umbrellas. I spent $10 on my diffuser and used it once, decided I didn't like it, wasted power, and threw it out.

On the shoe clamp, make sure it can use umbrellas and can pivot up and down, and has a stud on it. Take off the metal peice of s*** (broke a flash from slipping off one), and screw on the plastic footie that comes with the 600 so it can actually lock on there.

other then that, I think you're golden.

The 35mm is indeed a fine lens.

The new one, that is.

You better order the D90, and quick. The price is - and not very subtly - going up to fit the new D5000 in.

Take out the Nikon color filter set, and get a sample pak of hels and put velcro on them, the nikon ones are a hassle, and too expensive at $15.
Gels? How does the velcro attachment work?

UV filters are a personal preference, if you take even reasonable care of your gear, they're not needed IMO.

I do take care of it, and the only reason I like them is for when you start to get dust buildup on the lens, I can just wipe off the UV rather than the lens itself. I've never looked into the coating rubbing off on the lens, but I've been treating as if enough wiping would reduce it.

Take out the diffuser, you won't be using it since you'll have stands and umbrellas. I spent $10 on my diffuser and used it once, decided I didn't like it, wasted power, and threw it out.
I was thinking of the diffuser in the cases I fired the flash on the camera without the umbrella. When using the flash on the camera, I wouldn't want it to look like an amplified version of the on camera flash (although I know you can redirect the sb600), so would the diffuser help here? I've seen people make some homemade ones here, but for $7 I guess I don't mind finding out the hard way that it sucks.

On the shoe clamp, make sure it can use umbrellas and can pivot up and down, and has a stud on it. Take off the metal peice of s*** (broke a flash from slipping off one), and screw on the plastic footie that comes with the 600 so it can actually lock on there.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009UT18/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&v=glance"]Here[/ame] is the clamp I'd be getting. The reviews on Amazon aren't that bad so I'll assume it'll work with my basic setup. And you're talking about the shoe mount right? I'll take that into consideration, I've heard they can screw up your flash with the contacts anyways and that it's recommended to tape them up.

other then that, I think you're golden.

Great, thanks for the advice!

The new one, that is.

You better order the D90, and quick. The price is - and not very subtly - going up to fit the new D5000 in.

yup agreed
clear.gif

Mine's been back ordered for weeks with Ritz. I'm really looking forward to getting it though!

I didn't find the price of the body itself to be too bad. I was using Microsoft's live search "cashback" discount thing, and the body would be mid-$800. I found the whole kit from a local seller in my area for $1100 with a $200 pack and the 18-105 (all 3 weeks old). I'm still thinking about which lens to keep, but I would be selling one of them.

I do take care of it, and the only reason I like them is for when you start to get dust buildup on the lens, I can just wipe off the UV rather than the lens itself. I've never looked into the coating rubbing off on the lens, but I've been treating as if enough wiping would reduce it.

The amount of rubbing you'd need to take the coatings off would also destroy the lens-- think of it like cleaning your car-- it won't take the paint off right?

The amount of rubbing you'd need to take the coatings off would also destroy the lens-- think of it like cleaning your car-- it won't take the paint off right?

Good to know. I had a feeling that was the case, but I also treat my car rather well too. Unfortunately I'm parting ways with my beloved car and using my profits to upgrade my gear.

i'd pretty much just get the d90 and the 50mm 1.8 lens and you'll have heaps of fun for months with just that set up alone

i'd pretty much just get the d90 and the 50mm 1.8 lens and you'll have heaps of fun for months with just that set up alone

I know I'll be totally happy with just the new body and lenses, but I'll have a stack of cash to use and I'd like to build a small strobist kit in addition to the new camera. And I have a baby due in July which afterward, convincing my wife to spend money on camera equipment may get a bit harder than it is (and it is very hard).

Most reactions

Back