Gear to Carry to a Zoo trip

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the MRS and myself are planning a day trip to the zoo. I'm not sure what to bother lugging around all day, and what's not worth fooling with. Obvious gear is camera & tripod, but which of my three lenses?

There's "safari" exhibits, where my longer zoom would be beneficial, indoor bird exhibits where my prime or my wider zoom may work better.... I'd like to only carry 2 lenses (one on body and one more in pocket, and any of my three are "pocket-able")

So what does everyone suggest ? Thanks in advance for the help--

ps--I did a couple searches, but came up blank on anything related to "zoo" on the forum. I know I'm not the only zoo-goer, so what am I doing wrong with my searches?

if it's not already obvious by my siggy, I've got 18-55; 35 f/1.8 prime, & 55-200

Check with the zoo to see if they allow tripods... a lot of them don't as you can block traffic or be a tripping hazard....

I'd go 18-55 and 55-200. The long tele will let you get close to the critters obviously.. the wide can be fun for a lot of things. The 35 1.8 would be nice in some of the low light exhibits... but most of the ones I have been in have glass, and usually so dirty and scratched up that it is an exercise in frustration to get decent shots.

I did see a tutorial for Zoo Photography in the tutorial section.. one day I was bored, and checking out all of the different areas on TPF.

I also usually carry a O/C Flash.. use it for fill and even reduce harsh sunlight on a lot of the outdoor animals, if you are allowed to use it.

EDIT: found this in the "Articles of Interest" area... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...05-how-take-good-zoo-pictures-sabbath999.html

Last edited:
I know they allow tripods, I've carried one before with a superzoom P&S. thanks for heads up about tutorial; I'll check that out. A flash isn't something I've yet invested in, unfortunately, so I will be at the mercy of the camera's flash & ambient light.

Cool! I wish the Denver Zoo allowed them.. but they don't. I do carry my monopod, but definitely not the same.... lol!

ok, I need help. where on earth did you find the zoo photo tut? I can't seem to locate it, and search (apparently) isn't my friend

I usually only take my 55-200. Nothing else. I never take flashes to zoos - it can distress the animals. In the wild it's different because the animals can run away, but in a zoo they're stuck there with you flashing them in the eyes.

For zoo photos, telephotos lens helps because animals are usually far away so I usually bring a telephoto zoom I will also bring the 100mm macro lens since St. Louis zoo has a butterfly house and I also use it in the penguin house. Of course a flash as well.

These photos were taken with flash.

Shoe mount flash directly point to the subject. 100mm f/5.6 1/200 iso100
5133979075_9bacd3cc7f_b.jpg

Bounced flash 50mm f/2, 1/160 and ISO 200
5133981949_606e16e5f7_b.jpg

Bounced flash, 300mm, f/5.6, 1/125, iso200
3817801502_d30a4582e6_z.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back