Gear upgrade!

t.kalle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I am currently looking to to change equipment, I have been shooting on my Nikon D3000 for a few years now and I am starting to feel very limited by both house and optics.

Current equipment:
Lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm kit-lens.
Nikon 55-200/4-5,6G
Nikon 35mm 1,8G.
House:
Nikon D3000

I feel limited by:
-Lack of optical quality in general with the lenses (apart from the 35mm), plenty of distortion when shooting in low light conditions at high ISO levels, limited by the functions on the camera house, lack of focus points, plenty of distortion while editing RAW photos in Lightroom.

I shoot mainly landscape and portraits, hobby as well as freelance jobs.

I have been looking to upgrade both optics and camera, but since I am on a budget I am unable to decide.

The two options I have been looking at are:

Nikon D300 + 17-55 f/2,8 + SIGMA 10-20mm + Nikon Flash SB600.

Or:

Nikon D700 + Nikon 50mm f/1,4

What would you recommend? Choose a FX format camera with one cheap, high quality lens (Nikon f/1,4) or one DX format camera with a more expensive high quality zoom-lens (Nikon 17-55 F/2,8)?
Keep in mind:
-I am currently unable to afford a proper 28-70 f/2,8 lens to the D700 but would upgrade to this ASAP.
-With the D300 I could keep on using my 35mm f/1,8).

All comments or other alternatives of camera equipment are welcome!

Kind regards, Karl.

Both cameras will suffice. While I would normally say d700. All your glass is DX glass. Maybe the d300? If you are satisfied with the d700 and just one lens, then the d700 will be my choice.

Sell it all, go fx.

MK3Brent said:
Sell it all, go fx.

+1
As a matter of fact, if you can't afford the 35 1.4, you can get the 35 f2. It's not expensive. At least you will have two lenses. Then I'd say grab a 85 1.8. You would have a 35, 50, 85 primes. That should hold you off for a while till you get the 24-70.

Thank you for your reply! How is the optical quality on the 35 f2?

That is a good lens within its price range. As for which system to choose, FX is the direction of Nikon"s future, hence there will be more new releases in this format. Now that the D800 is shiipping (albeit in limited quantities), look for a nice, used D700 being sold from someone who has purchased the D800. That will allow you to get a great upgrade for a reasonable price.

my GF upgraded to a D700 and promptly borrowed all my glass

As for which system to choose, FX is the direction of Nikon's future, hence there will be more new releases in this format.

wait, what? I can possibly agree that Nikon seems to be possibly extending FX to the hobbyist with the rumored release of the D600, but to say FX is the direction of Nikon's future? They just released and are selling the every loving crap out of the D3200. I'd be willing to bet there will be a D7100 not too terribly far behind the D600.

Most reactions

Back