Geese in Flight Fine Art in Motion Style

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is yet another from our trip up around the peninsula this weekend. These geese were on the road as we approached and flew into the marshy area beside us as we passed. I sat on it for a while because I'm not absolutely positive about it, I wish there was some separation between geese and background but alas this is what I got so I'm going with it ;)

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

IMG_5703_4-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Last edited:
:D There is more gees in the area to shoot, for sure. Yes, you are right, the separation is to small. Here you will need a help from mother nature; proper light. Like with most of nature photography, light is paramount, but we can't have it at will. On the other hand this is some new element in this type of shots made by you; fast moving camera aiming at also fast, but with different speed objects with static background. Complicated. I think if Mike would slow down to match the speed of the birds a bit better, maybe the separation would be easier to achieve. There is another thought, maybe use of powerful flash could help in such a situation ?

It's poultry in motion (sorry...I couldn't resist). I might end out a few of white branches (left side upper corner, right side middle) that compete with the viewer's attention and draw it away from the geese. This shot won't appeal to everyone but I think it's a nice one that absolutely captures motion well. Could the geese be in better focus? Of course. But if this was in a portfolio that showed a range of other techniques (including some that were tack sharp), I'd just assume that the lack of separation and distinctness was intentional on your part.

It's strange - I wasn't feeling it and went away to look at 'As the earth spins' again, then came back to this and suddenly something changed in the way I saw it. Hard to explain - although it may benefit from more separation between geese and background, there's something about the way the two blend and harmonise. It's definitely a grower.

Yeah. A worthwhile effort, but needs more separation between the geese and background. That's going to take a fair bit of planning, or just serendipidy.

It just looks underexposed and noisy to me. The apparently headless goose doesn't look too good. I can't get past the underexposure and the blending of the geese and the dark background. Poultry in motion...OMG, what a fowl pun that was!!! I really like these fine art in motion shots, I do, but as shown here today, this shot doesn't work that well for me. Perhaps it can be modified through some different processing treatment.

Thanks so much for your thoughts all, I will carry them forward as I'm pretty sure this one isn't salvageable :(. There is another one that might work but I'm pretty sure it will suffer the same issues because of the flat light. Eddie, I'll tell them to fly lower next time ;) lol

I agree with other comments, not nearly enough distinction between the geese and the background, and just overall too underexposed, at least for my taste.

Pix, this particular idea of incorporating something moving into your motion landscape shots, might just be the time to do some layering. One exposure for the background, another to capture the geese more in focus, then layer the geese on top of the background; not only could you get a better overall exposure and get better focus on the geese, you could also place them wherever it works best for that photo, in this case the lower green area.

I agree with other comments, not nearly enough distinction between the geese and the background, and just overall too underexposed, at least for my taste.

Pix, this particular idea of incorporating something moving into your motion landscape shots, might just be the time to do some layering. One exposure for the background, another to capture the geese more in focus, then layer the geese on top of the background; not only could you get a better overall exposure and get better focus on the geese, you could also place them wherever it works best for that photo, in this case the lower green area.
That there is good advice, little bunny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back