Gel lighting help.

Jessphoto16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out how to get better gel lighting. I know I have to keep studio lights off as much as possible, but is there a setting I need to let more light come through? I find it hard to light the subject right without getting spill. My background light doesn't have setting just on and off. Someone please help if possible. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need to work in some snoots and/or flags. Sample photos that help show the problem would help.

Gels don't change much other than the color of the light and, if the gel is dark, the output of the light. It shouldn't affect 'spill' unless you're applying it to the light incorrectly.

Sounds like you need to work in some snoots and/or flags. Sample photos that help show the problem would help.
As Buckster says, it sounds like there's more to this than just gels, but the secret to good "gel-lighting" is to use the lowest possible power.

Moved to the Lighting Forum

Sorry what I meant more light coming through, I was referring to light entering the camera. I had heard somewhere to adjust the aperture might help? My light is ok when I have no light touching it from my soft box, meaning my light would have to right at someones side. Bu of course this lighting is not right.

Sorry what I meant more light coming through, I was referring to light entering the camera. I had heard somewhere to adjust the aperture might help? My light is ok when I have no light touching it from my soft box, meaning my light would have to right at someones side. Bu of course this lighting is not right.
Sorry, but I'm still not getting what you're trying to convey. Photos and/or diagrams would be very helpful at this juncture.

Adjusting the aperture will affect all your lighting sources, not just one. You may achieve the desired result for the one light, but will over- or under-expose the other lights.

Are you using strobe lights, or constant lights?

I get the impression you have constant lights. If so, it's likely the issue isn't the lens aperture, but the shutter speed.

Thanks everyone, no I have two strobes and one background flash.ill play around with lighting my subject as far from my bg as possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back