Gels for sunset portrait

Can some please a'splain to me homecomeforwhy you want subjects with orange(ish) skin?
If the subject is warm, you have more room to make the subject cooler, then the background will not be as orange. I personally wish I had gelled this shot.

p1256515150-4.jpg

Really? That's almost exactly the look I would go for.

Yep... me too! But Robin has been a PRO much longer then we have.. what do we know! ;) <yea.. poking fun... deal with it!>

It is pretty simple.. you are at the beach around sunset, what does the light look like touching your skin? It is warm. Now you want to introduce a new light source, it would be nice to match that light if you want it natural looking. That's why people like to use a big ass reflector. It will just reflect the light at somewhat the same temperature.

It helps to pay attention to the actual color of the sky and the sunset, as I found out tonight. As I was looking, I figured out that the majority of the sunset was blueish. Therefore, I chose to diffuse the monolight without a gel or a black/gold reflective umbrella and just adjusted the WB to shady. It really warmed up the flash. However, I used a speedlite to create a rim light and it was too blue, so I used a 1/4 CTO on it.

This was one of the test shots

also, constructive criticism is much appreciated

Attachments

• $IMG_4962.jpg
    $IMG_4962.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 334
It helps to pay attention to the actual color of the sky and the sunset, as I found out tonight. As I was looking, I figured out that the majority of the sunset was blueish. Therefore, I chose to diffuse the monolight without a gel or a black/gold reflective umbrella and just adjusted the WB to shady. It really warmed up the flash. However, I used a speedlite to create a rim light and it was too blue, so I used a 1/4 CTO on it.

This was one of the test shots

also, constructive criticism is much appreciated

I rather like the color balance in this photo, but you seem to have darker skin tones, so I&#8217;m wondering how the same treatment would render a powder-faced mug like mine.

I&#8217;m no pro, but put me down for a +1 under the &#8220;whitish light on subject against warm sunset background looks like complete ass&#8221; column. When I glance at a photo and the fill flash leaps off the screen, it&#8217;s kind of a drag. I don&#8217;t know how anybody could prefer that over a warm light that more closely matches what you&#8217;d actually see in real life, but to each their own I suppose.

Most reactions

Back