general pricing for tv documentary rights?

mercurio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all... I should preface this by saying I'm *not* a pro photographer, so if I sound naive or ignorant about the biz, well, it's because I am.

Earlier this year I was approached by the producers of a UK television doc series about licensing a couple of my stills for their program. I eventually settled on the price of £300 for rights to the photos in 2 UK broadcasts of the program (within 5 years). They're wrapping up the program now and recently contacted me asking how much it would cost for them to obtain further rights and use the stills in international broadcasts.

I have no idea how much I should charge. A comparable amount to the original? A fraction thereof? This was more a random side endeavor than any moneymaking idea, but I'll take the compensation. It would also be nice to give an impression that I at least vaguely know what I'm doing. Any suggestion for the price? Other advice?

Thanks...

There's a website, think its the National Union of Journalism has a list for pricing release for this type of work, I think you should be getting more for the shots not less and the people your dealing with know it, look it up and don't be ripped off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back