fmcavalcanti

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All
I'm new here, and have a question for you..

It’s been a while I’m looking for a software to geotag, and organize the pictures in folders.
Here is what I have now:
Pictures organized in folders by year or month. Some photos are geotagged (taken with mobile), some not taken with camera.

The perfect solution:
I want the software to compare time of when photos were taken, and if it was during a certain period (lets suppose 3 hours) all would have the same geotag. and after tagging, the software would put them in the same folder.
Something that I could live with: :)
Some software that would group all photos with similar geotag in to a same folder (organizing by date later on, is easier). I’m not sure if Lightroom does that.

Do you have any suggestion?

Cheers!

There are (free!) apps for your phone that will Geotag. But I think you'll have to sort them by location manually.

Lightroom will let you drag your photos out to the map and drop them where you want them to be tagged.

A good solution for non-geotagging cameras is to get a GPS Data Logger. This creates a GPX track file that marks your location every second or so. You then use a free program like EasyGPS to use that data to geotag photos taken while the data logger was turned on. You do have to keep your camera clock updated.

I don't know of anything that will move photos to folders based on location. Photo managers like Lightroom do let you find photos based on location even if they don't move them around.

There are (free!) apps for your phone that will Geotag. But I think you'll have to sort them by location manually.
Thanks for your reply!
I'm trying to avoid the manual part, I have some GB of photos in a hard drive. And I'm having issues to organize the backlog.. for the new ones (that I started in the beginning of the year) it's going well.

It shouldn't be that hard to do manually unless you're talking about thousands of different locations you want to divide them into.

All you need to do is sort the images by GPS location and you can readily see by that listing. Highlight the ones you want to move and drag 'em to the location you want them to go to.

What you are looking for is called reverse geocoding. I didn't initially mention it because I believed you would need to write code to make use of it, however non-coders may be able to get close enough to make the job possible.

For Lightroom, read this: GPS « Julieanne Kost's Blog
This article describes how to get a location name into your photo's metadata. After that you would need to use Lightroom's tools to search by State, or County, or whatever, and then copy the hits into a folder.

Here is a similar option for non-Lightroom users. This addresses Picasa, which is free: Google Groups
Roll down to the lengthiest post on the page and read that. It describes using a tool called GeoSetter to do the reverse geocoding, and then using Picasa to do the searching.

Neither of these is the full solution. You still have to search, select, and move. If you can get your images reverse geocoded then this will become much easier. You cannot search or sort by lat/lon alone without accomplishing this. A full solution would automatically sort the images into folders, and that would certainly require writing code.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back