Gettin' the feet wet

MettleWood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I purchased a Nikon d3200 a month ago as my first camera coupled with "Understand Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I am the definition of a greenhorn in terms of photography so I have a lot to learn. Been enjoying the new challenges presented and looking forward to learning techniques to make better photos! Please critique as hard as you'd like, I promise I have thicker skin than you do, I'm just here to learn enough to eventually be able to help someone else out. All photos were taken in manual mode and manual focus, around Milford, MI. All photos are unedited as I have no idea how to process photos and I think I learning how to create a proper exposure trumps the processing skills, in my mind at least. Thanks for looking.

1. f7.1 10s ISO400 18-55mm;18mm
DSC_0918-XL.jpg

2.f9 1/125s ISO200 70-300mm;78mm
DSC_0499-XL.jpg

3. f5.6 1.3s ISO200 18-55mm;18mm This one is a little too underexposed I think.
DSC_1398-XL.jpg

The first and last, I'm not feeling, but that railroad spike one... That's great. Repeating patterns, the abandoned feel of the rust and spider web... excellent.

Love #2.

In #1, was everything really that green? I'm guessing the white balance is a bit off.

Exactly what minicoop said; not feeling the first and third. The third could be improved a little by straightening the horizon, making the fence straight. But overall, the photo kind of lacks interest if you know what I mean. And again going with what minicoop said, the second shot is great. Leading line, balance, etc.... just an overall appealing photo. I know you said you haven't gotten into editing at all really, but the second shot could benefit from some small adjustments, but it's not really necessary.

I also want to add that I'm not anywhere near being a professional and these comments are just my own opinions. :)

Thanks for the subtle tips, what may seem obvious to you may be oblivious to me. The white balance was set to "Incandescent" for picture #1, should it be something else?

With #3, the white balance was set to auto, but I couldn't replicate the same colors with another white balance setting. The surrounding lights had a yellowish tint that I was trying to disregard but could only do so on the auto setting, any tips?

Loving 2.

I know you're not interested in processing just yet but picking white balance quickly off the grey wall turns 1 into this:

$DSC_0918-XL-3.jpg

and switching to b&w with a crop plus some love in the curves gives it a little more sinister-ness. Just needs a guy in a raincoat and trilby.

$DSC_0918-XL-2.jpg

Last edited:
Traditional light bulbs are incandescent. I shoot film too but with my digital camera auto WB usually works best; the pre-programmed settings don't seem to always look best with the type light they're supposed to replicate (at least on mine they don't always).

The first one is an interesting perspective and I think that idea could work with other subjects too. The second one just looks too dark; a camera is recording light so once it's getting dark and you're losing light you're pushing the limits of what a camera can do (unless you use a flash or do a long exposure).

You seem to be seeing interesting things to photograph and interesting perspectives, keep thinking about your vantage point too. With the one of the concrete wall part of what's interesting is the texture and pattern of the wall to the right - ahead the small (due to the distance) signs seem a little cluttered. Next time you could try taking a step or two (or if there isn't much room to move I sometimes lean!) and see if you can 'move' those signs into an interesting pattern, think about where things are in your viewfinder and if that's where you want them to be in your composition - if not move around and change it before you release the shutter.

I like the second one but I would've go for f/12. I really like the picture though

No problem - we all had to learn, too. Some of us are still learning.

An exercise in white balance is to shoot a small white object with each wb setting on the camera. Do this in sunlight, shade, fluorescent and incandescent light. Note each setting and the light source so you can compare the results. See where things have a blue, green, or yellow cast.

I'm certainly new here so please inform me if I'm disregarding forum rules that I've looked over. I will take your advice on the White balance exercise, however, I can't seem to find what exactly "auto" white balance means. I initially thought it would automatically cycle through the given presents on the camera but I don't think that is the case because I couldn't replicate the auto color tone with any of the presets. Is it something kelvin related that perhaps can't be seen by the user?

#4 From 8/5/14 18mm f22 1.6s ISO100 I was hoping to get my first sunset but mother nature had different plans! Critique away if you feel the need.
DSC_1542-X3.jpg

I'm guessing it matches a mid-tone in the scene, much as you would do with a grey card.

Most reactions

Back