Getting a good self-portrait

alexandicity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello peeps!

I've been lurking this forum for a while, getting some good tips for how to handle my puny digital camera to get the best shots. Some success, but looking to go dSLR soon.

I sign up today because I had one particular problem. I've been trying to get a good self-portrait photo to send to my folks around the world. Problem is, I'm very, aaah, photoresistant. Not ever been able to get a good photo of me that I'm happy with. I'm an average-looking bloke but I think the art of photography can be skewed in my favour :)

One image I'd like to try is something analogous to a window reflection. I'm, not sure what it is, but reflections of me in windows look pretty good. I expect this is because that reflection lacks some of the detail of my skin tone (not a plus) but emphasises the shadow on the jawbone and cheekbones (a plus). I was hoping to capture some of this effect in a photo or post-production.

Can you suggest what transforms I can apply to a brightly-lit but not spectacular self portrait that might render an effect similar to looking at a window reflection?

Ta!
Alexander

The first things that come to my mind is to set up some lighting to give you the shadow from your jaw and cheek, and then smooth out the details in your skin tones in PS or Gimp, which is free if you don't have photoshop.

Thanks for the suggestion Blake. I tried setting up some lights from above to achieve this effect but they cast too strong a shadow over the eyes. I've not got much in terms of lighting options but found a good mirror look when using a pale diffuse light. But - my camera isn't able to capture images in those dark conditions...

I'm familiar with the Gimp. Can you suggest an appropriate tool or tutorial to achieve this skin toning? Whenever I play around with it I make a pig's ear of it... my edits are not subtle at all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back