Getting a job at the LPS.

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just dropped an app. off at my local photo store (along with some slides). I talked to one of the employees and asked if I should be expecting a call back and he said most likely because he is leaving and they will be needing someone. I'm going to be taking some photography and photoshop classes at my local JC next semester. Since I haven't taken any classes or anything yet, do you think that will hold me back from getting the job? What will I most likely be really needing to know to get the job? Or should I expect to be taught alot of stuff that I will need to know like processing? Sorry for all the questions, just would really like the job =p

They should teach you everything you need to know, such as how to use their machines, doing good colour corrections, etc.

But having an interest should help! (and dropping off some slides with your application was probably a good idea. I hope they were some of your best!

Good Luck!

Eek, that's what I was thinking too! I was kinda experimenting with that roll with different settings with the outdoor lighting so I don't know how they will come out! So I went in and asked some different questions so they could see that I understood what I was talking about. The only thing I would really need to know is processing.

Depends what sort of stuff the lab does. Their C-41 stuff would be done with a machine I assume (Basically you use one machine to extract the end of the film, then you stick a tag onto the film, put it onto a thing which helps you stick the film to a leader card, then you just feed it into the processor, it goes through a series of tanks and comes out the other end dry and ready to cut off)

I am not sure if they would do traditional B&W etc. But I would think they would teach you how to do all that stuff.

I'm hoping if I get this job I will get discounts too haha. And I think it would be really cool to have other photographers come in and be looking for an assistant and make some extra money on the side and use names and extra shots for a portfolio.

To be honest with you and not to discredit you. A photo store and lab would be an excellant place to work if you are in school and want to learn photography. But basically they could care less if you are a "photographer" they mainly want someone who can SELL! and is good with customers. product knowledge and able to sell is what they want. Most stores will hire and you learn that aspect as you go.

I just hope this store you speak of is a true photography shop and not a ritz or wolf camera. But if it is, thats still not a bad place to work and learn that part of the photography market, that is if you are young and in school and want experience and make some extra money.

Yeah it's a privately owned place and is a good place. I'm glad you posted, that's what I really wanted to know. I'm very much a people person and love to help with what I can (That's how I've recieved past jobs). And I think I know enough on basics and products that I could do well and have plenty room to learn. And my dad knows everything there is to know about sales and I learned it all from him haha.

Most reactions

Back