Getting a used camera. What's good?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just sold my olympus digital slr and I want to get a used Canon. I can't afford a fancy new dslr at the moment so I want to focus on building a kit of lenses and accessories until I can get a good one later in the year.

I've looked at the 20D, xti and the xs because I can get any of them for 220 to 250. I know the 20D is only 8.2mp, but it is much more professional than the other two.

Any thoughts?

The condition of used gear is paramount.

It is likely the prosumer grade 20D has a longer life shutter expectancy than the entry-level XTi and XS.

Neither the XTi nor the XS have spot metering mode.

The 20D and the XTi use Canon's Digic II image processor, while the XS uses the Digic III image processor.

The condition of used gear is paramount.

It is likely the prosumer grade 20D has a longer life shutter expectancy than the entry-level XTi and XS.

Neither the XTi nor the XS have spot metering mode.

The 20D and the XTi use Canon's Digic II image processor, while the XS uses the Digic III image processor.
The retailer has all three rated at excellent or EX+. The 20D is a lot older, but it has a lot of great pro features.
Would the 1.8MP difference make a huge difference? If all of the above were in the same condition and within a few dollars difference in price
which would you choose?

I would always choose the body ergonomics of the XXd series over the Rebel series in all circumstances.

( ^ possibly exaggerated, but I've yet to find an exception)

Megapixels really aren't much of an issue. It depends on how the cameras feel in your hands, so if you can handle a Rebel and a 60D in a store, you will get an idea about that. The other potential issue, mentioned by Keith, is that the XS has a newer processor; this means it will have less noise than the others at higher ISO settings. This may be significant if you are going to walk around and use the camera hand-held a lot.

I would go with the XTi as it is newer and has a higher ISO rating and no doubt less noise at all levels. ISO is important to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back