Getting away from AWB

It's a custom white balance preset. Your 450D can hold one. Shoot a grey card so it fills the frame, and then view it in the playback thingamajig, then tell the camera to collect white balance data from that image.
If that was directed to me, then yes i know, that is what i was refering to earlier but by his reply im guessing he can dial in the temperature in numbers? (e.g 5200 kelvin)

...and now I'm back to auto because it's one less thing to think about.

Funny..., that's the same reason I got away from AWB.

Most of the time it's pretty good, but it's also slightly different from shot-to-shot most of the time too. (It's 'figuring it out' from scratch every time.)

When I shot AWB, I had to make sure I always took at least a couple WhiBal shots. It seemed like every shoot/outing needed tweaking with AWB.

Now, I just keep it on Daylight. I find that 95% of the time it "looks right".
Sometimes I know it will be wrong, so I shoot a WhiBal and fix it in LR.
Sometimes I know it will be wrong, but don't care.

If I ever had a shot that was wrong and I didn't take the WhiBal shot, I'll just do a click WB on a part of the image that I want to be neutral.

95% of the time, I don't have to do anything at all. The other 5% is so easy that I don't worry about it at all.

RAW shooter - adjust it later. If JPG then:
*If you don't feel like spending $ on the grey card, then use a simple WHITE sheet of paper and preset it.
*If you're using a flash and your flash actually reaches your subject, then preset WB to FLASH or SUNNY (based on your preference of warmer skin tones and bit colder, respectively).
*If you don't shoot with available light, don't have a grey card and don't have a white sheet of paper, AWB is ok outdoors but you can pull a Ziser and meter someone near you who is under the same light and is wearing white.

It's a custom white balance preset. Your 450D can hold one. Shoot a grey card so it fills the frame, and then view it in the playback thingamajig, then tell the camera to collect white balance data from that image.
If that was directed to me, then yes i know, that is what i was refering to earlier but by his reply im guessing he can dial in the temperature in numbers? (e.g 5200 kelvin)

You can do that on a 450D too. You can also use WB bracketing.

yea I can do 5200k, 80,000k 200k ect

i refuse to use AWB. i shoot in raw and would far rather use sunlight or flash or even cloud setting so i get a constant WB. I can then sort out one photo in my set and dial it in for the others as needed.

If you use ACR and shoot in RAW it really does make it idiot proof.

how do you access the menu to change WB by number?
I found the WB bracketing or is it the same thing? (WB SHIFT/BKT)
I tried some test shots (changing the position of the dot...)
It all seems cold (i went from futhest right corner to bottom right to highest left lower left then in the centre, all seems pretty cold...)

My current white balance setting on that big graph is b7,g6 and it seems cold... iv velt there was a problem with my white balance... now if i can just put all this info together with using the card ill be ok lol

Always in RAW? RAW is such are large file size. But I guess you can do alot with raw.

Hard drives and camera storage are cheap compared to the impossibility of recreating a scene exactly. Always shoot raw and you can always correct your color balance. No need to set it (though I have to admit having them come out of camera with proper white balance is quite nice) but if you do take an image of a grey card (no need to fill frame), you can use that as a selector later in ACR (or lightroom, etc) to set the white balance then copy those settings to other images taken in the same light.

And keep in mind 'proper' white balance is a pie in the sky. White balance is always an artistic choice. It certainly won't make your images any sharper, though.

Most reactions

Back