Getting back into photography.

Kpablo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I’m Katie from the DFW area in Texas. I have always enjoyed the art of photography, whether from others or pictures that I have taken. With that being said, I’m a complete amateur with a point and shoot Casio camera.

In college I took a photography class, bought a film SLR, don’t ask what brand or model I have know idea. I bought it in 2006 for 500 dollars. I took the class and in the middle of the semester dropped it. Let’s just say young and dumb. Now, I want to get back into it.

There is a local photography club I’m going to go to on Monday. I’m very excited and a bit antsy, I want to go out and buy a camera, RIGHT NOW! I know it’s best not to, I really need to do my research. I went to Wolf Camera to compare a few brands and models. I’ve narrowed it down to three, I like all of them equally and at this point it’s a matter of personal decision, I guess. I’ve boiled it down to a Rebel XSi because of the megapixels, the D3000, although I really could care less about the guide, and the D60, I like the price of the D60. Someone told me to get the D5000, but honestly I’d like to wait to make sure I’m going to stick with photography before putting down that kind of money.
What am I planning on doing?

I train my Doberman in the sport of Agility. I go to competitions with lightening fast dogs that compete indoors with very awful low lighting. I also go to conformation shows that is a little slower paced but equally craptastic lighting.

My dog and I are really getting into the hiking hobby. We are always outside and I take pictures of nature with my point and shoot.

Anywho, I've read a little bit on the forum already and hope to learn more and see people's photographic art.

Welcome to the community.

First off, thank you for actually taking the time to make an intro post. Too many people come here and just drop off pictures for CC. It gets a bit irritating.

As for what camera to get, if you plan on shooting in lower light, I would seriously consider getting a 40D, 50D, 7D in the Canon lineup or a D90+ in the Nikon lineup. I can't say much about Nikon, but for Canon, I have an XSI and while its a great camera, its not so hot in low light conditions. I don't mind going up to ISO 400 (even if the camera goes to 1600), but anything over 400 is hit or miss.

The pro-sumer line of Canons handle noise and higher ISO better than the Rebel line.

The other factor for good low light shooter is a "fast" lens - ie one that has a wide aperture (2.8 or wider liek 1.8 or 1.4). I would consider getting a 50mm f/1.8 as a lens with your camera (along with the kit stuff to get started) as it will help in lower light, and its a cheap lens.

Ultimately, you should be looking at a 70-200 f/2.8 IS for low light, faster moving indoor shots.

While any camera can take great photos (as it depends on the photographer), higher end cameras usually improve on shooting speed, build construction and better handling of higher ISO.

Good advice ^

From a Nikon shooters perspective:

Low light Nikon cameras start with the D5000 and go up from there, they have CMOS sensors vs CCD. The cost difference between a D3000 and a D5000 may be a factor for you but you'll be so much more pleased with the results that you may actually stick with it this time :)

Welcome.

You don't think I'll be overwhelmed with the D5000?

Not at all... It's also an entry level DSLR and should be very easy to get familiar with.

Although I've never owned one, I have owned the D40 and D60 - playing with the D5000 at a local store wasn't much different.

It seems overwhelming at first, but once you gain the knowledge of the technicalities of the camera, you will feel right at home.

I bought my first dSLR July 2008. I had the budget for either an XSI or a 40D (latest models on the market at the time). One was $900 the other $1300 (give or take). I knew nothing about photography, I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I wasn't even a member of the forum hehe.

So I went with the XSI because I thought I didn't need to much (and remember, I didn't know what the too much even was at the time). While the camera is a great camera, after a month in my first class, I understood my camera. Didn't master it (still dont), but was comfortable with 80% of its functionality.

Its then that I noticed that I should of picked up the 40D, specially when I shot a wedding or other lower light events and had ISO issues.

Go to Arlington Camera, they are close to you, and talk with a salesperson, pick up and hold each camera you like. Pick the one that feels right in your hands. Either Canon or Nikon will be a good choice.

I'm an idiot. Twinky, I thought you were talking about the D40 Nikon. You were speaking of the 40D Canon? I like that one, I like the 50D, has more mega pixels. Can someone tell me, why are mega pixels important?

Wish I didn't drop that class.

Slacker, I will definitely check out that shop, thanks so much for telling me about it. Are you from around here?

Just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my dog, who really inspired me to get involved with photography.

This one was done with my step-fathers Nikon D40. Embarrassing, just an awful shot.
1zx2y4w.jpg

This one was done with my point and shoot.
LouonBridge.jpg

All of the cameras mentioned above are fine as a first DSLR whether it is a Canon or Nikon. It all comes down how the camera feels to you. Unless money is a BIG concern don't pay attention to the price, definitely don't save a couple hundred dollars now and regret later on down the road. It's not all about the camera, but the vision of the photographer. Good luck and welcome!

Welcome to the forum from another Texan; I know the photo club will help you grow.

Hi there. Welcome, although I'm almost as new here as you are.
What the others said.
A couple of things to add: to answer one of your questions, megapixels may or may not matter, depending on a lot of factors. If you plan to make giant prints for display, you may need the high number of megapixels. If you don't, getting a new sensor with fewer megapix. may serve you better, as it may translate in better low light performance (remember the size of the sensor is the same, and cramming more of the light sensing units on it means they are smaller units).
I think you definitely need not worry about being overwhelmed. It sounds like you really enjoy photography and will want to really get into it. Then the key word becomes CONTROLS. You cannot have too many of them. It makes it easier, not harder. It gives you dedicated buttons and dials to make the adjustments you need as opposed to having to take minutes scrolling around stupid menus. Having recently gone a similar path of entry into this hobby and starting to take it seriously, I have always found myself wanting more and more independent controls on the camera. i would not worry about the learning process - it's quick and fun.

Welcome to the forum Katie! Great photos, thanks for sharing them!

~taking notes~

Not much of a 'before' sample....but the new ones do look great.

It's always a good idea to look behind every once in a while, just to see how far we've come. Now look forward and extrapolate your improvement to see how much better you can get.

Most reactions

Back