getting businesses to hang your stuff...

rabhobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccabrittain.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For those that have done this type of promo before, how did you go about getting in the door?

Specifically, I am targeting veterinarian offices. I want to get some framed prints of my pet photography on their walls, so they get art on their walls, I get promotion of my business. (Or at least a table top print with my card in the corner, on display.)

Wondering best way to go about it.

1. Go in w/ prints framed and ready to go, so if the answer is yes, they know exactly what they will be getting? (This would require initial outlay of $$ on my part to have the samples printed and framed)

2. Go in with just an explanation of what I want to do, and give business card?

3. Send an introductory letter in the mail or email?

Any thoughts?

I've never done it before, but I'd think a phone call as a first contact is better than an email or showing up un-announced.

When showing up, I'd have a portfolio of high quality 8x12 to show. I wouldn't bother with the framing ahead of time.

Then I'd follow up with a "thank you for your time" email

For those that have done this type of promo before, how did you go about getting in the door?

Specifically, I am targeting veterinarian offices. I want to get some framed prints of my pet photography on their walls, so they get art on their walls, I get promotion of my business. (Or at least a table top print with my card in the corner, on display.)

Wondering best way to go about it.

1. Go in w/ prints framed and ready to go, so if the answer is yes, they know exactly what they will be getting? (This would require initial outlay of $$ on my part to have the samples printed and framed)

2. Go in with just an explanation of what I want to do, and give business card?

3. Send an introductory letter in the mail or email?

Any thoughts?

I think a snail mail letter is the more professional way to start things off. It's slightly harder to ignore than email and something that they have in their hand as an image of your business. I would then follow it up with a phone call in about a week to confirm that they received the letter and request when would be a good time for you to come in to speak with them in a little more detail. Like the other guy said, I would bring prints but not frames so at least the style of the frames is something that you could discuss in person, given the look of their facility.

A lot of vet offices are small businesses and not chains or anything, so I would think it would be pretty acceptable to call and make an appointment rather than mail something. I wouldn't just walk in though. If I were you I'd offer 4 or so (whatever feels right for the size of office) framed prints (8x10 with matting type deal) and ask only that they let you put a business card caddy on their front desk. Beware though, you'd be surprised how many vets and dentists are photographers themselves so I wouldn't make any comments about the pictures they already have hanging on the wall.

Agreed - never insult what is already on their walls! (no matter how much you might hate it).

I also say give them a ring and ask to make an appointment with the manager/headvet. When you go I would certainly take several framed examples to show them as well as possibly a portfolio (book format for ease if possible) containing smaller examples of shots so that if they are keen they can make a selection from your works.
Besides that also go with an idea of how you want the setup to go - some might ask for a charge to hand things on their wall (to advertise yourself in their premisis) and if that comes up you want an idea of how you are to deal with it (how much are you willing to pay - are you willing to pay at all - how are you going to pay - you might agree to do a photoshoot or something for the centre).

Beyond that be friendly, polite and formal in the interaction.

Wow, lots of different ideas! Which is why I couldn't decide how to begin, either.
I've started getting 8x10s together for a portfolio to bring around to a place or two, but still haven't decided on doing a letter or a phone call first...will try one and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the help!

I would phone or email for an appointment in person with the manager. Try to be as free with meeting times as you can.
However if they are local places you could just drop in oneday and ask for an appointment in person - you most likley won't get it when you walk in the door, but do be prepared for the chance if its offered (it really depends on how the place is run - each place will be different). If your being prepared carry as little as possible, but enough to get your point across - you don't want to be loaded down with loads of prints, frames and such - you want a backpack and a single art folder in one had at most - holding all you need. If you baggage yourself down you just look lost and confused - appear professional

edit - also if they are local ask your parents/friends if they know the owners - if they do you might have a way to get your foot into the door :)

I'm a commercial/fine art shooter...so pet photography Isn't the type of gigs that I get into, but here's my suggestions.

First off, do you have pet(s) that you take to the Vet? Is he/she a cool person? The last thing you want is to do business with a Prick, It'll be more of a headache than it's worth.

Next time you're at the vet try to strike up a conversation about what you want to do. Be prepared, have a leave behind and/or a portfolio of 10-15 images in your car just in case he's interested.

Don't invest in framing until you have a signed contract. Spend the money and have your work professionally framed, it'll payoff. Most people don't know a good photo from a bad one, but if they see a photo framed nicely and can visualize it on their walls, you're in business. Do not neglect presentation..... Do not neglect presentation.

Did I mention that you need to have your work professionally framed?

Lastly, Do the photo community a favor and do not under price your work and get a signed contract.
If you have questions about pricing hit me up, we can talk.

I would'nt just walk in, I'd give them a phone call and go from there.

...I would'nt just walk in, I'd give them a phone call and go from there.
I agree with Gomes, Definitely don't just show up, you'll never get hired.

Most reactions

Back