Getting frustrated with Nikon ... so, what about Canon, then?

^ Lighten up. I'm just trying to have an interesting technical discussion, there's no need to bring insults into it.

Darrel, I understand that the 16-85 is f/3.5-5.6. Canon's 17-85 is f/4-5.6. Compared on the most directly-competing bodies, I found the Canon to be faster. I never claimed that one was more accurate.

I don't think there's really any way I can convey this to you people using just words. I'm very perceptive to minute technical nuances and I don't really understand what or how other people feel and sense things.

Last edited:
I can count on both hands the number of times I've missed a shot because my camera/lens was slow to find focus and that is usually because I've been caught unawares.

then that would be because you were caught unawares,,,, not becuase the camera/lens was slow :confused:

i can honestly say i've NEVER missed a shot due to my camera/lens.

I can count on both hands the number of times I've missed a shot because my camera/lens was slow to find focus and that is usually because I've been caught unawares.

then that would be because you were caught unawares,,,, not becuase the camera/lens was slow :confused:

No. Lenses CAN be slow to find focus depending on the situation: try focusing with a telephoto from near to maybe halfway to infinity bird nestled in a tree surrounded by branches and leaves.

As someone already mentioned, cameras focus based on contrast detection; if the level of contrast isn't as robust - you are going to have difficulty focusing.

No. Lenses CAN be slow to find focus depending on the situation: try focusing with a telephoto from near to maybe halfway to infinity bird nestled in a tree surrounded by branches and leaves.

As someone already mentioned, cameras focus based on contrast detection; if the level of contrast isn't as robust - you are going to have difficulty focusing.

i don't think i've ever tried to use AF in those situations. so the blame would be on me not the camera, but also doesn't really apply to this discussion. i can see why you may miss a shot under those circumstances due to AF not hitting the mark.... but in those situations the chances of the focus hitting a branch or leaf instead of the bird are high enough that the body and lens don't matter.... which may have been the point you were trying to make.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back