Getting frustrated with Nikon ... so, what about Canon, then?

Skoda has been around a loooooong time. Did you know that the english translation of Skoda is "a pity" or "a waste"... LOL !!
Too funny, does it have the same meaning in Czech or is there something lost in the translation?

In the old days the heated rear window was only there to keep your hands warm while pushing :lol:

I think you're af situation is not as much of a body problem as it is a lens problem. Ever tried a 70-200 on your D40 (I know it seems stupid, but I can afford to rent the lens, but can't afford a better body) It focuses pretty damn fast. Seriously, go to the store, and try out a better body, but at the same time, try some better glass too. The AF is much better on the gold ring lenses.

you're shooting with the wrong body, and by and large, Canon's AF system on their semi-pro level bodies (40D, etc.) are a lot slower than comparable Nikkor offerings (D200, etc.)

you're shooting with the wrong body, and by and large, Canon's AF system on their semi-pro level bodies (40D, etc.) are a lot slower than comparable Nikkor offerings (D200, etc.)
It took 6 pages, but someone's finally got my point. Thank-you.

I assume this is based on personal experience?

I work in a camera store and I've gotten to play with pretty much everything Nikon and Canon have to offer.

Canon's 1D and 1Ds are amazing for auto focus. Fast, accurate and just all around impressive. 5D mark II and below, not nearly as impressive. The 5DII is the same focusing system as the original 5D.

I even find a Nikon D90 more accurate than a 5DII, but the focusing system in the D300 and up is simply amazing. The 51 focusing points is a bit over kill, but it does give a large amount of control over where you want to focus. I don't find the focusing speeds any slower than Canon, not sure if it's any faster, just more accurate with the same speed.

But, I will agree, the lenses make a huge difference. It's not the AF-S alone that increases focusing speed. The Silent Wave Motor is what makes it quieter and faster, and not every AF-S lens has it, and not every SWM is created equal. The SWM in the 18-55 for instance, and I steal this right from Nikon's site, "Incorporates a newly developed compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing", it's a more compact version. Not quite as effective.

Anyway, hope that helps.

How would you compare the AF accuracy and speed between the Nikon D90, D300 and Canon 40D using mid-range AF-S/USM lenses?

But, I will agree, the lenses make a huge difference. It's not the AF-S alone that increases focusing speed. The Silent Wave Motor is what makes it quieter and faster, and not every AF-S lens has it, and not every SWM is created equal. The SWM in the 18-55 for instance, and I steal this right from Nikon's site, "Incorporates a newly developed compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing", it's a more compact version. Not quite as effective.
It would be more accurate for Nikon to call the 18-55 and 55-200 AF-I lenses.

oh this is so funny...

To first claim that working in a camera store gives any credibility and then claim any differences between the two systems makes any real world differences backed with "just playing" with camera bodies as viable proof.

The only thing more hilarious is listening to the drivel that comes out of a various camera shop reps trying to convince me that one of the big two is a clear winner over the other.

:lol:

I work in a camera store and I've gotten to play with pretty much everything Nikon and Canon have to offer.

Canon's 1D and 1Ds are amazing for auto focus. Fast, accurate and just all around impressive. 5D mark II and below, not nearly as impressive. The 5DII is the same focusing system as the original 5D.

I even find a Nikon D90 more accurate than a 5DII, but the focusing system in the D300 and up is simply amazing. The 51 focusing points is a bit over kill, but it does give a large amount of control over where you want to focus. I don't find the focusing speeds any slower than Canon, not sure if it's any faster, just more accurate with the same speed.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Show us some shots you have taken with all these cameras, and i will show you some of my crappy slow focus and out of focus Canon shots :lol:

That has nothing to do with it guys... stick to the issue. The OP is trying to get pro level performance from a... D40. Not a D200, D300, D3... a D40, and is unhappy!

Well duh! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is not a Canon vs Nikon thing... it is the fact that his AF sucks on his base model dSLR. Compared to near ANY other higher model, brand, the AF pretty much sucks on ALL base model dSLRs compared to the upper models!!

Its not a Canon or Nikon issue, its a D40 issue, and once THAT is realized, the solution becomes clearer. ;)

That has nothing to do with it guys... stick to the issue. The OP is trying to get pro level performance from a... D40. Not a D200, D300, D3... a D40, and is unhappy!

Well duh! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is not a Canon vs Nikon thing... it is the fact that his AF sucks on his base model dSLR. Compared to near ANY other higher model, brand, the AF pretty much sucks on ALL base model dSLRs compared to the upper models!!

Its not a Canon or Nikon issue, its a D40 issue, and once THAT is realized, the solution becomes clearer. ;)

Yes but he won't be told :lol:

So he can now make his own choices, I am sure... he is a big boy and entitled to make his own choices or mistakes.

No matter what, Canon or Nikon, his only choice is to spend a nice chunk of change now. Spend on what? That his totally his choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back