Getting frustrated with time

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm so frustrated with time. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I get up at 5 in the morning, get home at 5 in the afternoon. The sun sets early now and by the time I take a shower and eat there's no light left outdoors. I have hardly even been out to take shots during the Fall yet. I have all these ideas and no time to do it. I can't take my camera to work for risk of it being stolen. My brother and his fiancee went apple picking today while I was at work and got some amazing pictures and I got so jealous because it was my niece's first time as a baby going apple picking and I could have probably pulled off some sick shots but of course I didn't. Weekends are always usually so busy that I never have time... I feel like I got 4 grand collecting dust... How do you guys cope?!

The answer is deceptively simple: make the time. My camera goes with me everywhere. On the rare occasion I am without my camera, strangers in my neighborhood have asked me where is my camera.

I shoot on the way to work (I take the bus). I shoot during my lunch break (my camera is in my desk). I shoot going home from work. Did I mention I take the bus? I shoot on weekends. If no one is paying me that week, I line up a TFP model shoot. The answer is deceptively simple: prioritize your life and make the time.

You say the sun has gone down by the time you get out? Lemons for sure. Now make some lemonade and practice your night photography.

i can you feel ya, and like bkmood said take your camera with you everywhere, you never know what you might see on the way home for work and to work, or whenever. as he also pointed out, go out at night and shoot, that is what i found myself doing alot lately. it will improve your skill and knowledge about shutter speed, aperture, etc as well as give you some interesting long exposure shots to add to your portfolio.

I feel you, and sometimes it's hard to impossible to make time as others are suggesting.

I work full time (40 hours a week) plus about an hour and a half drive time to and from work. Plus I am taking evening classes full time (12 credit hours), and have a wife and son to see when I'm home. The little amount of time I do have, I'm so tired that I don't feel like getting up to get the camera, let alone running around taking pictures.....not to mention that my son is in bed already half the nights I get home.

I basically just do not shoot during the week and try to do family stuff on weekends and photograph then. I could take my camera to work with me, but what is that going to accomplish. I can take pictures of my office? Then I go straight to class from work.....take pictures inside my class? Don't think the teacher's would like that much. Then when I get out of class, it's dark, I get home and eat a late dinner relax with my wife and crash to bed. There just is no time during the week.

Trust me I feel your pain. My biggest issue right now isn't the fact that I have so little time for my hobby.......I hate that I have such little time with my family.

Like others said, I make the time.

I'm up at 6am and back home on most nights by 7pm (commute is a pain here). I take classes when I can and my employer knows that for 1 night a week, I'm not reachable between 6pm and 10pm. So I have at least 4 hours of time to shoot and try things.

My wife is going to a friend's house tonight from 5 to 7. While she invited me over, I'm going to take the time and walk the streets and do some urban stuff.

My flickr and portfolio have alot of night photography as I can't always make the time during the day.

On some occasions, I leave work at 5pm with a few co-workers and we go shoot things.

Like anything else, you need to make the time for it.

Yup, I'm in the "make time" camp. You do what you have to do. You can sit around and make excuses, or you can get creative.

I even went out at dusk last week with a flash. You can get some great fall shots during the dusk hours, the flash will really bring out the colors.

Think outside of the box.

The answer is deceptively simple: make the time. My camera goes with me everywhere. On the rare occasion I am without my camera, strangers in my neighborhood have asked me where is my camera.

I shoot on the way to work (I take the bus). I shoot during my lunch break (my camera is in my desk). I shoot going home from work. Did I mention I take the bus? I shoot on weekends. If no one is paying me that week, I line up a TFP model shoot. The answer is deceptively simple: prioritize your life and make the time.

You say the sun has gone down by the time you get out? Lemons for sure. Now make some lemonade and practice your night photography.

haha! I used to be like you, well almost, but I guess when it got colder and the days shorter I have started to work more instead which is what I really need to buy some good lenses :D

I feel you, and sometimes it's hard to impossible to make time as others are suggesting.

I work full time (40 hours a week) plus about an hour and a half drive time to and from work. Plus I am taking evening classes full time (12 credit hours), and have a wife and son to see when I'm home. The little amount of time I do have, I'm so tired that I don't feel like getting up to get the camera, let alone running around taking pictures.....not to mention that my son is in bed already half the nights I get home.

I basically just do not shoot during the week and try to do family stuff on weekends and photograph then. I could take my camera to work with me, but what is that going to accomplish. I can take pictures of my office? Then I go straight to class from work.....take pictures inside my class? Don't think the teacher's would like that much. Then when I get out of class, it's dark, I get home and eat a late dinner relax with my wife and crash to bed. There just is no time during the week.

Trust me I feel your pain. My biggest issue right now isn't the fact that I have so little time for my hobby.......I hate that I have such little time with my family.
You pretty much sound exactly like me... minus a couple things. I also work 40+ hours a week, up at 4:45, at work for 7 with an hour commute in the morning, get out at 3:30, drive the hour and a half home (worse traffic on way home), take a shower, eat and go to bed at 9:30! No time whatsoever during the week. I was finally able to go out today since it was nice out and get some shots. I was so happy. I even ditched helping my dad stack pellets for the stove just to go shoot! :lol: My mom was all mad cause I had my phone off and I had disappeared without telling anyone. I was like, I don't feel like talking to anyone on the phone when I'm shooting! (It's ME time!)

Most reactions

Back