Getting Frustrated... :(

thank you, bobby! a lot of great information. i just wanted to note that im not narrowing it to just girls. guys would work too. im trying not to limit myself as i see it as a model is a model. its just been a lot harder even to find guys than girls lol. :p

Well pretty much the same approach will work with male models as well. Truth is if you carry yourself with confidence and can explain what it is you want to do fluently without having to oversell it then you can find models every where. I have found models in the Grocery Store, as waitresses, at the gym, the bus stop, walking down the beach and almost anywhere else you can think of where you will come in contact with people. Just define what your needs are and what you have to offer in return and you will find that the search for models will become much less stressful.

Oh and I don't know about where you live but here in Las Vegas, Craigslist is the Ghetto of advertising and I would not even consider booking a model off there. The ratio of flakes to those who show up is just to high and when they do show up they rarely have any actual time in front of anything but their own cell phone.

Frankly, a lot of the stuff I saw on MM is pretty poor quality. Your self portrait will do just fine as one of the two models. just don't post a picture of yourself. lol

Male models could be harder. They'll probably think you're gay. Get over it.

But seriously, I got all my models off the street after a few photos with my wife. And again, all I did was nudes. No harder than asking for a date. Even if 9 out of 10 say no, all you need is the 1. Just have a small portfolio with you.

Chammer, I've had the worst luck getting models with Model Mayhem and OneModelPlace. I don't even bother with them anymore. However, I've had much luck with Craigslist. I've photographed more than a dozen models from Craigslist within the last two months. How do I do it?

I place ads for models; I never respond to them. Also, my first shoot with them is always in a public place, like downtown. Finally, I have a website filled with shots of other models I've photographed. At this point, I'm turning people away.

Craigslist has been a great resource for me. I'll never go back to Model Mayhem or OneModelPlace again, too many flakes and wannabes. Place an ad on Craigslist. Have your first shoot in a public place, downtown somewhere. Have a nice-looking website with nice-looking pictures. Good luck!

yea...a website is something i desperately need again. i held a domain from 1999 til 2005, and then several others since about 2004. only the first one i ever ran a site from. i recently registered yet another one with a "studio" like name hoping to use it. i just havent found the time to develop a site again. its definitely on my list of to-do's though. :(

i did try placing an ad, but it was for pet portraits and the like. i got tons of responses but no one that actually committed to following through with it. it was offered free of charge with the pictures provided digitally with rights to take it anywhere to print. i will give it a shot again, but for people this time and see how it goes!

They'll probably think you're gay. Get over it.

lol im sure, but to be honest i dont really care what they think of my sexuality...just so long as they can see im a nice person and feel comfortable in front of my camera so i can get some practice. :)

I could not care less either. You do what you have to do.

By the way, what I meant earlier, is don't stick a photo of yourself in the photographers spot if you're using self-portraits in the model section.

Take a class or workshop which will have models to work with, then use those images you took from your workshop in your portfolio.

I took a 1 day workshop here at the Charleston Center for Photography on Model Coaching. Got some nice images to use in my portfolio. Also the instructors and other photographers that attended had MM profiles. Use those pics, add those people to your friends, and give credit to those there that taught and you worked with on your profile.

I'm no where near a good photog and am getting quite a bit of people messaging me wanting to shoot TFCD/P

Chammer-
I have had similar problems to you, but have been worknig through it. Here is what I have been doing.
1) I have a web site. Post your pics on a blog or flickr, then go to something like GoDaddy and buy your dot com. I bought mine plus dot org, info, and net, plus 5 extra emails addresses for less than $45 for a yr. You can then have your dot com forwarded to where you images are, so the model/client just types in your address. Looks more professional than having dot blogspot or dot flickr in your site address.

2) I do answer the ads that the models place on CL. Generic email stating I am looking for samples to expand my portfolio. Include a link to your website. I get a small response from that. I gather every photographer in the same boat is answering their ad, along with a bunch of amatuers and pervs.

3) Run ads yourself. I get better response this way. In the "gigs" section under talent. Or in the "creative" services. Offer TFCD, explain what you are looking for and what the images will be used for. I get a few responses everytime I do, when I don't get flagged!! Some guy in Phx thinks we are all pervs and flags everyone. Just make sure you don't put your web link in the ad, but include it when you respond. If you have to, offer the CD and a small fee. Like $50. As it was said before, anything will help.

4) Get out of the house and ask people you see regularly. Be friendly, explain what you want and need, do it in public. Some of my older samples came from girls who worked at the sub shop I frequented.

5) Go to Meetup.com and search for meetup model photography groups in your area. I joined 2 out here and am going to one of the meetups next week. Cost for the day is $50. Also there are a number of models on there that are also looking for images and might be willing to do a shoot outside of the group. Just don't come across as wierd.

Remember all you need is 2 subjects, and locations. MM doesn't need to know you only have 8 images to choose from. I think you are on the right path. I am waiting for MM to approve me too. And I have the required images.

It's just frustating when you have something you want to do, and can't get it done when you want to. I feel your pain

One thing that I have found really helped was to refuse to offer a CD. Everyone and their dog on CL here offers a free shoot including a CD and printing rights. I would probably get a lot more of a response if I did, but I would rather have 2 serious people who value my time and what I do than 10 responses and no shows because they know if they screw me over they have no monetary investment and there are 100 more to choose from.

Most reactions

Back