Getting Hot and Heavy With the American Flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Section 8d from the US flag code reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery"

The supreme court has ruled that punitive enforcement of the Flag Code does violate the first amendment. I don't think the flag ought to be so sacred as to violate the very thing for which it represents.

I agree it is very distasteful, though I do not agree that the government's roll is to protect us from distaste.

No, this country wasn't founded on the beliefs in god.
Like I said, yeah, let's get back to the foundations...

Women should no longer have the right to vote, because they didn't in the beginning. You can't pick and choose which "foundations" you wish to propell and adhere to. This country was "founded" on many things that have changed.

Schools don't even say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore.

Because some idiot, in the 50's, had to add "under god" to it. If that hadn't happened, people wouldn't have made a stink about it.
I love when religious people bring this up, and don't realize that part was added. People harp on getting back to where we were, the foundations, and I say ABSOLUTELY, lets use the pledge as it was ORIGINALLY written. :thumbup:

I'm not going to get into religion or politics, but this great country was founded on the beliefs in GOD. Just because someone add GOD to it doesn't make him/her an idiot.

While this is true, constitutional interpretation should reflect and meet the needs of present society, and not be bound to the interpretations and intentions of the framers.

It is my belief that compelling any individual to do anything is wrong provided that other's rights are not being infringed.

The Constitution clearly states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” In other words, no religion gets to make our laws (in case you didn’t quite understand that piece of well written verbiage.)

I think actually the first amendment is preventing a "state sponsored" religion. I don't think it is limited to religious interest passing laws, but rather extending to all laws being passed in the interest of religion.

Because some idiot, in the 50's, had to add "under god" to it.

I believe that should be plural... idiots. After a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, the 1954 Congress added the words "under God" to the pledge. << ask.com >>

That would've been under the Eisenhower administration with Tricky Dicky as VP.

Knights of Columbus, huh?

I bet the conspiracy theorists are all over that.

Well I'm done here before I get all worked up over some POS photographer's tasteless "art".

Bitter Jeweler I'm not stupid ok I know how to read so therefor I understood that "piece of well written verbiage"

No, this country wasn't founded on the beliefs in god.

I think that it was, actually. At the time when the constitution was written, the idea of not believing in God would have been pretty unfathomable, the issue was what religion you practice.

Today's society has changed considerably, and the constitution is clearly interpreted to protect these changes. The constitutional amendments are intentionally written to be more broad in scope, rather than more limiting for the exact circumstance.

Still, I don't really think that the framers of the constitution fully appreciated what they had done, and it is impossible to say how they'd react to things protecting photographers who wrap naked women over the flag or even limiting how "under God" can be used in government-sponsored activities and signage. How they would react though has nothing to do with the needs of present day society.

Schools don't even say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore.

Because some idiot, in the 50's, had to add "under god" to it. If that hadn't happened, people wouldn't have made a stink about it.
I love when religious people bring this up, and don't realize that part was added. People harp on getting back to where we were, the foundations, and I say ABSOLUTELY, lets use the pledge as it was ORIGINALLY written. :thumbup:

I'm not going to get into religion or politics, but this great country was founded on the beliefs in GOD. Just because someone add GOD to it doesn't make him/her an idiot.

And the Constitution states that church (religious beliefs) should be kept separate from State (country / government / politics / laws). There was good reason for that! And adding "Under God" to the pledge of allegiance violates the constitution in that sense.... since the pledge is to the Country (State).. not the Church (religion)!

also, the wording isn't "one nation founded under god" it's "one nation, under god".

This portion of the pledge of allegiance is not intended to be a historical interpretation, presented as a fact-on-the-matter, that one day, long ago a bunch of Christian men founded the United States of America and framed this foundation according to their Christian beliefs.

It is a statement or an affirmation that has been judicially proven to violate the first amendment when compelled to be recited by those who object on religious ground.

I'm not even getting into the politics of this...

But the IMAGES themselves are horrible and tacky as hell... even if you replace the flag with a plain white sheet. :lol:

And I think we are done here - Politics is off the menu- and having seen how fast it got political I don't think we'll have much chance keeping it out of the topic sadly.

*that said polite discussion can continue in the subscribers section if subscribers want to talk about the issue*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back