Getting in to Macro Photography.

RKRAMOS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, recently I've been getting into Macro Photography, mainly taking pictures of flowers since bugs don't like to stay still. :p I really want to improve and I know having a better lens could help that, but in the mean time I'm stuck with the one I have. Right now I'm using the Macro attached lens that comes with the Opteka .45x HD II Wide Angle Lens (52MM). It's nothing special but has attracted me to "The Macro Game". Here are two shots I did recently (Don't flame too hard, I'm just a beginner :lol:) I have a Nikon D5100, I was using the standard 18 - 55MM W/ Macro attachment.

DSC_0039_E-1.jpg

DSC_0094_E.jpg

Here's one where I attempted to catch a "busy bee" as you can tell he got away from me.

DSC_0102_E.jpg

What are some tips and tricks I could use to help me get better Macro shots? What's a good way to catch bugs in action? What's a good lens to upgrade to for a beginner that isn't too expensive?
Thanks Everyone.
- Rick

Need to work on your focus... #2 and #3 it looks like leaves are in focus, but not the flowers or the bee. You can find a used macro lens for much less than new... look at third party (Tokina, Sigma, Tamron).. and see what is available.

You least expensive option would be Extension Tubes... should work alright with the 18-55... Check out Kenko Tubes. http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Auto-Ex...88JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315684818&sr=8-1 There are cheaper ones.. but you get what you pay for. Have never used these.. but Amazon Reviews look good Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-CVAFN Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes for Nikon: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Need to work on your focus... #2 and #3 it looks like leaves are in focus, but not the flowers or the bee. You can find a used macro lens for much less than new... look at third party (Tokina, Sigma, Tamron).. and see what is available.

You least expensive option would be Extension Tubes... should work alright with the 18-55... Check out Kenko Tubes. Amazon.com: Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Nikon AF Mount.: Electronics There are cheaper ones.. but you get what you pay for. Have never used these.. but Amazon Reviews look good Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-CVAFN Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes for Nikon: Camera & Photo
Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow morning to get a better picture and replace #2, now that you said something I do see the Bokeh on the bottom of the flowers. As for the third picture, I tried to move with the bee, I had to set the camera on AF because I couldn't react and focus fast enough to get the picture. Even with AF the picture still came out crappy.

Thanks, I was going to look for a used one or maybe one that was bought but never used. I prefer an actual macro lens, I'm sure there's going to be a little pricey but I just want one that I could learn and mess around with.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back